Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Its from solomon paper C

Name:  sc.png
Views: 101
Size:  41.5 KB

length of an arc equals radius x Theta. So I would have thought it was 12 x 2pi/3 as which is equal to 8pi as 2pi/3 is equal to 120 degress in radians. But the mark scheme does something different and gets 16pi. Help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexneuty)
    Its from solomon paper C

Name:  sc.png
Views: 101
Size:  41.5 KB

length of an arc equals radius x Theta. So I would have thought it was 12 x 2pi/3 as which is equal to 8pi as 2pi/3 is equal to 120 degress in radians. But the mark scheme does something different and gets 16pi. Help!
    You've worked out the length of the minor arc (around the shaded area) but the question asks for the major arc (around the white area). If you take the angle to be 4pi/3 or 240 degrees instead you will get the same answer as the mark scheme. I made the same mistake when doing this paper the other day

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou! Haha to be honest I have never seen a C2 question where it uses the words major and minor for the arcs so I got a bit confused but that helps a lot! Is this even likely to come up in the edexcel exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexneuty)
    Thankyou! Haha to be honest I have never seen a C2 question where it uses the words major and minor for the arcs so I got a bit confused but that helps a lot! Is this even likely to come up in the edexcel exam?
    No problem! I've definitely seen both types of arcs on past papers but it's always obvious which one they want you to find from the diagram. It's only this question that seems a bit unclear but I guess we'll know to look out for it lol

ReputationRep:
    Yes! I will definitely know to look our for it now! If this C2 exam is as sneaky as the C1 exam I wouldn't be surprised if they put something like this in and a lot of people trip up on it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 17, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.