The Student Room Group

what I don't get about meat eaters.

What I don't understand about meat eaters is, that you say you eat and enjoy meat and wouldn't stop eating it, but, as soon as horse meat, cat/dog meat is mentioned your looking for the nearest sick bucket.....just seems a little hypocritical to me.

Can you explain??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That is because not all animals are meant to be eaten - like dogs and cats ugh. Well, they do eat dogs in china.

It's a matter of taste really. There must be vegetarians who dislike certain vegetables, right?
Original post by NHM713
What I don't understand about meat eaters is, that you say you eat and enjoy meat and wouldn't stop eating it, but, as soon as horse meat, cat/dog meat is mentioned your looking for the nearest sick bucket.....just seems a little hypocritical to me.

Can you explain??

I wouldn't mind trying horse though dog/cat isn't something I'd be particularly interested in. Can't imagine it being especially tasty or substantial. If it was served, I'd try it, but neither are particularly popular in the UK.
The reason most meat eaters are a bit nope nope nope at eating animals like cats and dogs are because they're domesticated animals that many of us see as pets. In a way, it feels a bit cannibalistic as they're part of the family - there's an emotional attachment.

I don't think it's hypocritical at all.
Original post by NHM713

Can you explain??

How is that hypocritical? Do you eat every single vegetable or grain?
Reply 4
Original post by SiminaM
That is because not all animals are meant to be eaten - like dogs and cats ugh. Well, they do eat dogs in china.

It's a matter of taste really. There must be vegetarians who dislike certain vegetables, right?

How will you know if you don't try, basically where does that feeling of 'ugh' come from?
Reply 5
This is what vegetarianism does.
Reply 6
Why is every other vegetarian on tsr trying to make us look like hippie idiots?xD

People eat meat, get over it. I don't eat every vegetable so... :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by SiminaM

Meant meant? What do you mean by meant?
Was there some super being that made all the rules?
Or do you mean society says it's wrong to eat dis but ok to eat other animals so just accept it?

Would you criticise someone that ate a dog. Because a vegetarian would not criticise someone for eating a vegetable they don't like.
Original post by NHM713

Can you explain??

I guess we all culturally or for religious reasons have different interpretations of what's off limits. I mean in this country we don't eat dog or horse, but for Muslims/Jews they don't eat pigs and find that disgusting, despite it being loved and the norm elsewhere.
The concept of eating horse meat or dog meat is foreign to us hence why most of us are flustered by the mention of it. However most meat eaters have eaten some sort of horse meat in the past whether they knew it or not.
Reply 10
Dogs & Cats are predators you can't eat animals like that
Reply 11
Original post by Mad Vlad
I wouldn't mind trying horse though dog/cat isn't something I'd be particularly interested in. Can't imagine it being especially tasty or substantial. If it was served, I'd try it, but neither are particularly popular in the UK.
The reason most meat eaters are a bit nope nope nope at eating animals like cats and dogs are because they're domesticated animals that many of us see as pets. In a way, it feels a bit cannibalistic as they're part of the family - there's an emotional attachment.

How do you know, if you haven't tried, where is that thought come from?

Why are they emotionally attached?

What about rabbit meat?
Original post by NHM713

Can you explain??

I also reach for the sick bucket when someone mentions broccoli.

But yeah, it's a cultural thing. To brits there's a fairly distinct line between what animals are considered livestock for eating and what animals are considered pets. For the most part the animals we eat are bred for the purpose of being eaten and used in other commodities, while animals we consider pets pretty much exist exclusively in that role. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong or evil about other countries eating animals we consider pets, it's just that because of the culture we've been raised in it's unavoidable that we associate the eating of animals like dogs with the pets a lot of us love and bond with.
Original post by SiminaM

Original post by Mad Vlad

Original post by Wilfred Little

Original post by NHM713

Can you explain??

It is a bit hypocritical I think.

I guess there is a sort of dissonance in that what is deemed acceptable... and is done so on a societal level, rather than on an objective one. I assume people just do it because, that is what they have always done and have been taught to do.

There are many for instance who love the animal the 'pig' and think its cute, but then forget that the bacon sandwich they are eating happens to be the same animal.

It's as if... those which we as humans aren't supposed to take an emotional interest in or have little similarity with - screw them - who cares? Anything that isn't 'part of the family' can be eaten, apparently. Excluding fellow humans ofc.

On what basis we deem living things to be morally okay to consume seems rather interesting and not really based in any conscious decision making. Just the way things are.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NHM713

Can you explain??

I've eaten horse. It's good.

I've eaten a lot of unknown meat in Vietnam etc whilst travelling and they were nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
[QUOcompletely missing d Little;55886579]How is that hypocritical? Do you eat every single vegetable or grain?

You completly missing the point.

Meat eaters don't eat dog because they believe it is wrong- it has nothing to dowith taste.

Would you criticise someone for eeating dog?
If not you in the minority.
'How dare vegetarians tell me eating meat is wrong but it's ok fir me to tell others eating dog is wing's

You could not be mote hypocritical.
It's a matter of preference. In China they eat centipedes on a stick, that doesn't mean I have to eat them as well.

And in terms of meat, I eat mainly fish and chicken, sometimes beef. I don't like pig, but I would try horse.
I also love vegetables, but not all (ugh brussell sprouts). I would like to hear that you eat them all, though :colonhash:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LaMandarine
It's a matter of preference. In China they eat centipedes on a stick, that doesn't mean I have to eat them as well.

And in terms of meat, I eat mainly fish and chicken, sometimes beef. I don't like pig, but I would try horse.
I also love vegetables, but not all (ugh brussell sprouts). I would like to hear that you eat them all, though :colonhash:

In some places they eat human. Just a matter of preference :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by Wilfred Little

No but I'm working my way, the ones I don't like, I know for fact that I don't like them because I have tried them.

It's hypocritical because, certain meat eaters seem to go on about how they couldn't become vegetarians because they like meat it so tasty yet there is only eat certain types of animals. and others are a 'no go zone'. Why?
Reply 19
Original post by PPF
This is what vegetarianism does. It makes you ask retarded questions... Just joking, don't be offended.

I'm not.

Quick Reply

Latest