The Student Room Group

AS Critical Thinking

Hi. I'm going to college this September to study chemistry, biology, physics and maths. My dream is to study medicine or chemistry at university. I heard that almost all universities have critical thinking test and my college says that it is a good subject if someone is wishing to study medicine etc.

I'm unsure whenever I should take critical thinking or not. I'm scared that if I take it, I will have to spend more time on it and it will negatively affect my other grades. Is anyone is a similar situation? And can someone give me advice whenever I should take it or not. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Lucas_Wojtysiak
Hi. I'm going to college this September to study chemistry, biology, physics and maths. My dream is to study medicine or chemistry at university. I heard that almost all universities have critical thinking test and my college says that it is a good subject if someone is wishing to study medicine etc.

I'm unsure whenever I should take critical thinking or not. I'm scared that if I take it, I will have to spend more time on it and it will negatively affect my other grades. Is anyone is a similar situation? And can someone give me advice whenever I should take it or not. Thanks

:hi:

Nice subject choices - I do Chem/Bio/Maths and they're lovely :h:

Some of my friends do Critical Thinking, and I would say that none of them spend much time on it at all and still do amazingly well in it, so I don't think you should worry about it affecting your other grades :yep:

It's another qualification, and would help you, so why not? :h:
Reply 2
If you get the choice I would avoid it. We didn't get the choice to do it at our sixth form we just had to do it and everyone hates it, especially science/mathsy people like us. If you look at most uni entry requirements it says specifically 'we do not accept critical thinking'. Just stick to those a levels and you'll be fine :smile::tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by Lucas_Wojtysiak

This was the exact reason I decided to take CT and I hate it :angry: - it's my most dreaded hour of the week
I honestly don't feel it has really helped me as my teacher isn't great and it forces you to think in a certain way, not thinking critically in a variety of different ways IMO. That said there's not much content and if you can get the hang of it, I imagine it's pretty easy.

As for spending more time on it, I take bio chem maths and french and spent maybe half a day on unit 1 and unit 2 is tomorrow, starting revision today :biggrin: however I'm not holding out much hope for an A - it's difficult to get one even doing revision

Maybe start it and then drop if you don't like it (wish I'd done that) - our class started out at 32 and is now 12 :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest