Can anyone mark this answer I just did on Of Mice and Men English Literature?

Watch
Ben98765
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Heres the extract:
“Why’n’t you tell her to stay the hell home where she belongs?” said Carlson. “You let her hang around bunk houses and pretty soon you’re gonna have som’pin on your hands and you won’t be able to do nothing about it.” Curley whirled on Carlson. “You keep outa this les’ you wanta step outside.” Carlson laughed. “You God damn punk,” he said. “You tried to throw a scare into Slim, an’ you couldn’t make it stick. Slim throwed a scare into you. You’re yella as a frog belly. I don’t care if you’re the best welter in the country. You come for me, an’ I’ll kick your God damn head off.” Candy joined the attack with joy. “Glove fulla vaseline,” he said disgustedly. Curley glared at him. His eyes slipped on past and lighted on Lennie; and Lennie was still smiling with delight at the memory of the ranch. Curley stepped over to Lennie like a terrier. “What the hell you laughin’ at?” Lennie looked blankly at him. “Huh?” Then Curley’s rage exploded. “Come on, ya big *******. Get up on your feet. No big son-of-a-***** is gonna laugh at me. I’ll show ya who’s yella.” Lennie looked helplessly at George, and then he got up and tried to retreat. Curley was balanced and poised. He slashed at Lennie with his left, and then smashed down his nose with a right. Lennie gave a cry of terror. Blood welled from his nose. “George,” he cried. “Make ‘um let me alone, George.” He backed until he was against the wall, and Curley followed, slugging him in the face. Lennie’s hands remained at his sides; he was too frightened to defend himself. George was on his feet yelling, “Get him, Lennie. Don’t let him do it.” Lennie covered his face with his huge paws and bleated with terror. He cried, “Make ‘um stop, George.” Then Curley attacked his stomach and cut off his wind.

Questions: In this passage, how does Steinbeck present the character Curley?
Answer (first attempt, took 23 minutes):
In this text, Steinbeck presents Curley as a violent and hostile character. For example, Steinbeck describes him as a 'terrier' which gives us the impression of him being small and quick. A terrier is a dog and therefore we could connote Curley as being like a wild animal and possibly having an oblivious but yet violent character as dogs in the 1930's were most commonly wild and non domesticated. However, an alternative interpretation of this description is that dogs are usually associated with being loyal to their owner or companion. This contrasts Curleys character as we get inferences throughout the text of him being unloyal with his wife and visiting whore houses. This juxtaposition leaves an effect on the reader by suggesting that Curley could be compared to an animal in some sense but also doesnt follow some features of domesticated animals. I think Steinbeck is using this terminology to reflect how men during the early-mid 1900's were all essentially animals in terms of their behaviour and were careless of others.
Furthermore, Steinbeck also gives us impressions that he is a vicious and merciless character. Towards the second half of the text, Curley 'slashes Lennie with his left' and then 'attacked his stomach and cut off his wind'. These qoutations give us a feeling of torture and savageness because its as if Curley is abusing Lennie tactically and methodically like a predatorial animal torturing its prey. The word 'slashes' also makes us think of Curley's fists as dangerous weapons such as a whip or some kind of knife. This gives us the impression that Curley is truly a very vindictive man and wants to cause great harm to 'big *******s' like Lennie. Alternatively, Steinbeck could be using this language as a reference to Curley's boxing career. By describing Curley's punch as a 'left' we get the impression that he has done this before in the ring as a 'left' or a 'right' in boxing is usually used to describe a punch. This use of language reflects how careless men were during the 1930's and how they were oblivious to respecting others who may be disadvantaged mentally or physically.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads