Not sure what to take for my GCSEs?

Watch
bonnie2001
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I'm in year 9 and I would like to do a degree in most likely architecture or civil engineering, but I am a bit stuck on what options I should take.
I think I would like to do It, French and Geography (we only get three because it is compulsory to take RE), I would have liked to do DT, but has not been run because only four people put it in their top 4 preferences.
It says that to do architecture it is best to have an art based subject, is this right, and should I change IT to art?
Thanks
ludo4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bonnie2001)
Hi, I'm in year 9 and I would like to do a degree in most likely architecture or civil engineering, but I am a bit stuck on what options I should take.
I think I would like to do It, French and Geography (we only get three because it is compulsory to take RE), I would have liked to do DT, but has not been run because only four people put it in their top 4 preferences.
It says that to do architecture it is best to have an art based subject, is this right, and should I change IT to art?
Thanks
Hi! I don't know a lot about architecture or engineering, but I would recommend taking what you enjoy because it makes the exams so much easier to revise for. Good luck with whatever you do.
Jodie99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bonnie2001)
Thanks
Art is very demanding of your time and energy (I don't take it but I have friends that do), it requires a lot of coursework so only take it if you genuinley think you'll enjoy it. Don't stress too much, at gcse there's not a whole lot you rule out with your options.
Malo_Bo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
After just completing my art gcse, it is demanding of your time but if you enjoy it it's not much of a problem but the only advice I can give is completed everything to a high quality and annotate all you work after completion, this may seem like a lot of effort but trusted me when you start planning you final piece at the end of year 11 and year 10 you don't have time to correct and finish everything previous because that will take the time you need for the exam.

And i believe for architecture art is more beneficial unless you prefer the 3d design and modelling on computers

p.s. In my class my friend wanted to go into architecture so focused his ideas on buildings and transport

Here's some of my work
ImageImage
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (71)
37.57%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
10.05%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.35%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (47)
24.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.23%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
7.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed