The Student Room Group

Calling all medicine students!

Hi everyone! I'm starting the 5 year medicine programme at Southampton uni this September, and am a 25 year old who has been out of academic study for a few years now. As a result, I'm feeling rather rusty and anxious about it!

I feel that it would boost my confidence and benefit me if I could do some revision or reading on relevant topics before I start my course. This is where I need your advice :smile:

What sort of topics would you recommend that I read over? As a student who has done their 1st year or is almost finishing it, how much of a step up from A-levels was it? What A-levels topics would you say were important or essential to know?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, and I would be very grateful for any feedback. Thanks people!
Joshua
Hi everyone! I'm starting the 5 year medicine programme at Southampton uni this September, and am a 25 year old who has been out of academic study for a few years now. As a result, I'm feeling rather rusty and anxious about it!

I feel that it would boost my confidence and benefit me if I could do some revision or reading on relevant topics before I start my course. This is where I need your advice :smile:

What sort of topics would you recommend that I read over? As a student who has done their 1st year or is almost finishing it, how much of a step up from A-levels was it? What A-levels topics would you say were important or essential to know? Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, and I would be very grateful for any feedback.

Thanks people!
Joshua
The whole first semester (i.e. to Christmas) is the Foundations module. The topics covered in Foundations Module are really broad, so it's hard to give any specifics. It aims to bring everybody to the same level by the end of the module - so I wouldn't worry at all and try to enjoy your free time :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Would you say that the first semester is mostly recapping on A-level material?
Original post by Lionheartat20
The whole first semester (i.e. to Christmas) is the Foundations module. The topics covered in Foundations Module are really broad, so it's hard to give any specifics. It aims to bring everybody to the same level by the end of the module - so I wouldn't worry at all and try to enjoy your free time :biggrin:
Original post by JHamilton1990
Would you say that the first semester is mostly recapping on A-level material?

I would say about 50% of it is. The other 50% is new.
Reply 5
Hi there!

I'm just finishing up my second year at Southampton. As someone said above, the first semester is the Foundations of Medicine module. It's super simple so I wouldn't bother doing any prior work. You'll be right back up to speed after you finish the module!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by JHamilton1990

What sort of topics would you recommend that I read over? As a student who has done their 1st year or is almost finishing it, how much of a step up from A-levels was it? What A-levels topics would you say were important or essential to know?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, and I would be very grateful for any feedback. Thanks people!
Joshua

I'm 24 and starting this year, so I know how you feel! However I think it's best not to revise for anything... wait till you start your course, and focus on your studies then.

For now, perhaps start reading novels? This will get you used to reading books for long periods of time and you can improve your concentration that way :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending