The Student Room Group

OCR British imperial and foreign policy 1945-1990

Does anyone know of any decent online study resources for this unit? Also, any predictions? I'm hoping for something on why Britain chose to decolonise :P

Scroll to see replies

Ooooh ermmmm doing a timeline for each topic helps me, not sure on websites but I hope Thatcher, Lab and Con and World Power comes up!
Timelines probably would be good for me, I can never remember the dates! (luckily in my sources exam last week it was only a small period of time :P) Thatcher would be quite interesting to talk about, she was one controversial lady :biggrin:
Original post by rachelthehuman
Timelines probably would be good for me, I can never remember the dates! (luckily in my sources exam last week it was only a small period of time :P) Thatcher would be quite interesting to talk about, she was one controversial lady :biggrin:

Yeah same-timelines are really helpful!!! It's great that most of the topics are linked too! Yeah the USA sources were great!!! Haha yeah it would be good if she came up-she was controversial for sure!!! :smile:
Hi

This is the structure that would get you a grade A.

1. introduction - state four or three factors that relate to the question e.g. for Britain's power you could include: economy, cold war and US relations.

2. State your first argument e.g. Britain's economy was strong (PEE)

3. Counter argument e.g. Britain's economy was weak

4. Do this for rest of the factors - argument and counter (use PEE)

5. Then conclude which factor is most important e.g. "Britain's fundamental reason for weakness was due to a crippled economy than caused military and imperial restrictions".
Original post by nahidali91
Hi

This is the structure that would get you a grade A.

1. introduction - state four or three factors that relate to the question e.g. for Britain's power you could include: economy, cold war and US relations.

2. State your first argument e.g. Britain's economy was strong (PEE)

3. Counter argument e.g. Britain's economy was weak

4. Do this for rest of the factors - argument and counter (use PEE)

5. Then conclude which factor is most important e.g. "Britain's fundamental reason for weakness was due to a crippled economy than caused military and imperial restrictions".

Thank you :biggrin: In our practice timed essays I tend to get B's, and the only thing holding me back is lack of evidence and dates (I am quite a confident writer). Seeing the structure laid out like that in plain terms is really helpful though, thanks :smile:
Original post by Ermmmm...
Yeah same-timelines are really helpful!!! It's great that most of the topics are linked too! Yeah the USA sources were great!!! Haha yeah it would be good if she came up-she was controversial for sure!!! :smile:

Timelines and mind maps are the way to go :P Exactly, that makes it so much easier to write about; my class are always told to focus on four main topics as a safety net: relations with US, relations with USSR/ cold war, the Empire, and Europe (seeing as pretty much everything that needs to be discussed comes under those topics). Good old Maggie :P
haha yeah that's what I've been told too Maggie :P we looked at her with Nuclear Weapons too :smile:
Reply 8
How many paragraphs other than an intro and conclusion are you all planning on writing as I am conscious that I want to write a detailed enough answer but not run over the time? :/
I usually end up writing about three or four other paragraphs. Seeing as there's only 40 minutes per question, I try to do 15 minutes for each argument, then use the remaining 10 minutes for intro, conclusion, and planning :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by rachelthehuman
I usually end up writing about three or four other paragraphs. Seeing as there's only 40 minutes per question, I try to do 15 minutes for each argument, then use the remaining 10 minutes for intro, conclusion, and planning :smile:

Ah ok thank you!
Reply 11
What questions/topic's are people predicting will come up tomorrow? :frown:
Can anyone help me with evidence for lab and con essay ??
Original post by RHobbs
What questions/topic's are people predicting will come up tomorrow? :frown:

Lab and Con will defo come up!
Reply 14
Original post by 1998cafc
Lab and Con will defo come up!

You think so? Am hoping for decolonisation, Lab and Conserv and Europe!!!
Original post by RHobbs
You think so? Am hoping for decolonisation, Lab and Conserv and Europe!!!

Really want Thatcher and Empire. Just think cus of the general election this year and the scotish referundum last year, its been a big talking point and it hasnt come up for a couple of years
Original post by RHobbs
Ah ok thank you!

Sorry, I meat 45 minutes per question (ideally 5 minutes planning, 40 minutes writing)
Reply 17
predictions: thatcher, labour and con, nuclear weapons

but i can i have help answering the lab and con question, what 4 factors do i do?
Original post by tt98
predictions: thatcher, labour and con, nuclear weapons

but i can i have help answering the lab and con question, what 4 factors do i do?

My teacher said the main four things to discuss in relation to the differences between the two are: Empire, the US, Europe, and nuclear weapons. Hopefully they should apply to most questions to do with lab and con...
Reply 19
I'm thinking of Labour vs. Conservative (1945-1964), Nuclear Weapons and a nasty Decol. essay. :smile:

I usually get Cs and I'm wondering if anyone has a model answer structure to get higher? The grade boundaries are so infuriating (5 marks between a C and an A on each paper. -.-) My teacher isn't the best at giving me feedback but when she has given me improvements I have followed them: Yet, I stay on the same grade despite my efforts. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending