Best gym method? Watch

Natek18
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey,

So I am starting the gym Monday and I was wondering what the best method would be?

I want to work on my upper body; arms, shoulders, core and back.
I also want to work on my cardio, have a 10k run coming up in 8 weeks.
My legs are naturally big and have quite a lot of muscle so I don't think I need to do anything on them other than the running I will do from the cardio.

I was wondering whether I should spend longer at the gym doing a mixture of everything each day or just shorter time for something specific e.g. 1st day; arms and shoulders, next day; core and back, third day; cardio and then repeat the cycle?
Hype en Ecosse
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Natek18)
Hey,

So I am starting the gym Monday and I was wondering what the best method would be?

My legs are naturally big and have quite a lot of muscle so I don't think I need to do anything on them other than the running I will do from the cardio.

I was wondering whether I should spend longer at the gym doing a mixture of everything each day or just shorter time for something specific e.g. 1st day; arms and shoulders, next day; core and back, third day; cardio and then repeat the cycle?
How many days a week can you train?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Natek18
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
How many days a week can you train?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I finish for uni pretty soon and I don't have any big plans over summer so I guess I will be free to train everyday
zzFishstick
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why are you asking people here, surely common sense will tell you to look up a professional fitness programme from PROFESSIONALS. Go on youtube there's tons of fitness instructor videos.
mls98
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I 100% recommend changing up your gym routine, so perhaps work your arms etc.. one day and then do cardio the next however, DO NOT just run on the treadmill for 10k straight for the next 8 weeks. You must vary your treadmill activity each time you work your cardiovascular fitness. For example, run 3k for the first cardio session, then do intervals the next (to help increase your pace), then do a hiking session, then repeat like a cycle. Build up your intervals and distance sessions so that you reach your desired target
Natek18
Rep:
?
(Original post by mls98)
I 100% recommend changing up your gym routine, so perhaps work your arms etc.. one day and then do cardio the next however, DO NOT just run on the treadmill for 10k straight for the next 8 weeks. You must vary your treadmill activity each time you work your cardiovascular fitness. For example, run 3k for the first cardio session, then do intervals the next (to help increase your pace), then do a hiking session, then repeat like a cycle. Build up your intervals and distance sessions so that you reach your desired target
Oh I see! Ok thank you for the advice, I will mix it up then, probably will also prevent me from getting bored of my cardio sessions.
Angry cucumber
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Have a look at the FAQ

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3014757http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3014757

If you want to concentrate on the 10k, a 10k training programme such as those on the cancer research website are good. There are loads out there and fitting it to how often you want to run is a good idea.
campanholineto
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How many time do you need to run 2,400m?
.JC.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Natek18)
Hey,

Don't neglect your legs. I naturally have muscular legs, or so I thought. What you think is muscular will change after you start working out. After 2 years you don't want to be stuck with a nice upper body but disgusting flabby looking legs.

You are best to chose one of two training patterns:

- Train one body part per day
- Train a couple per day

The latter would be better if you're starting out and can go every day, or 6 days a week. You can go 3 times per week, and then when you have more time up it to 6 and do everything x2 in that week.

Typical split would be:

Push/Pull/Legs

On push day you train chest, shoulders and triceps. On pull day back and biceps. Leg day is pretty explanatory.

You can do this Monday/Wednesday/Friday or whenever is suits you, having one day rest between days.

Alternatively you can do this for 6 days a week, having one rest day, and working everything twice.

Your other option as mentioned above is to work separate parts for 6 days a week. This is more flexible, but this is my routine to give you a rough idea:

Monday: Glutes and Quads
Tuesday: Chest and Abs (rectus abdominus)
Wednesday: Hamstrings and Calves
Thursday: Back and Abs (obliques + lower)
Friday: Shoulders and Traps (+ deadlifts)
Saturday: Biceps and Triceps
Sunday: Cardio and Abs/Rest

This is more specific training, and I'm doing more work for each body part each day because I can focus all my time on that muscle, rather than split across a few.

You also need to differentiate between your two types of training. I.e do you primarily want to build muscle or focus on distance running.

Distance runners are leaner and thinner with minimal muscle mass. The cardio you want to be focusing on is HIIT training, with short sprints. Look at sprinters of 100, 200 and 400. They are much more bulky and powerful than distance runners.

Something to bare in mind. Your training and goals seem to conflict somewhat.

Good luck :dumbells:
lift140
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You should work legs atleast once or twice a week. Since you want to be abke to run better you need more power. So stay in the low rep range like 4 to 7 and do stuff like squats front squats deadlifts romanian deadlidts and leg press. for legs go low volume just enough so that you get stronger every week.
futurematters
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know that you have already had a load of great answers, but anyway...

You must incorporate both cardiovascular training and weight training into your gym routine. It is always encouraged to focus on one muscle group each time that you workout and only working on it a maximum of twice a week, with at least one days rest in a week. Never miss the rest day, it will just come back and bite you in the bum!

So begin with some high intensity cardio, in the form of running, rowing, swimming, cross trainer, stepper etc. Don't choose one method and stick with it, change it up, vary your workout routine to confuse your body. And then follow it by some weight training, using weight machines or free weights. Depending on what muscles you are focusing on, there are a variety of different exercises, but remember that variety is key.

If you are thinking "Weights? They just make you bulk!" then you are wrong. Weights help to remove more fat than cardio! But you need a mixture. Eating right is even more important than the gym though so focus on what goes into your mouth!

Hope this helps, happy to answer any other questions that you may have.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (107)
17.34%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (65)
10.53%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (108)
17.5%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.91%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (62)
10.05%
How can I be the best version of myself? (183)
29.66%

Watched Threads