Is persian considered my native language?

Watch
starshine909
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have an Alevel in persian as I am Iranian and have been raised to learn farsi. However I was born here and have been to lessons in order to improve my iranian.

Will it count as a native language?
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
Do your parents speak to you in Persian? If they do, or if they used to, then yes it is your native language.
starshine909
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snufkin)
Do your parents speak to you in Persian? If they do, or if they used to, then yes it is your native language.
Unis wont know that
Inazuma
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Boring thread asking a Q that you clearly only want one answer too.

And no, it is not your native language fgs if you've only done an A level and don't speak it at home. Just put it down for what it is. One lie is not going to help your application.
Snufkin
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kmohazeb)
Unis wont know that
Of course they will. Your name will surely give the game away. Nobody learns Persian from scratch at school, every admission tutor will assume that you've just picked up an easy A level in a language you already speak. Better to be honest about it.
starshine909
Rep:
?
Of course they will. Your name will surely give the game away. Nobody learns Persian from scratch at school, every admission tutor will assume that you've just picked up an easy A level in a language you already speak. Better to be honest about it.
I was born here and had to go to lessons in order to learn properly. I usually speak english at home
Snufkin
Report 5 years ago
I was born here and had to go to lessons in order to learn properly. I usually speak english at home
Where you were born is irrelevant. What exactly do you mean by lessons? It sounds to me like you're trying to use Persian as your 3rd A level even though you spoke it beforehand.
starshine909
Rep:
?
Where you were born is irrelevant. What exactly do you mean by lessons? It sounds to me like you're trying to use Persian as your 3rd A level even though you spoke it beforehand.
Without going to lessons I would not know how to speak/read/write persian
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The bottom line is that unis will work on the basis that either a) it's your native language, or b) that you have the advantage of having people around you (eg your parents) who know and speak it. From what you describe, option b) appears to be nearer the truth. In either case unis are likely to conclude that your A-level in Farsi is not worth as much as if you studied eg German.
starshine909
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
The bottom line is that unis will work on the basis that either a) it's your native language, or b) that you have the advantage of having people around you (eg your parents) who know and speak it. From what you describe, option b) appears to be nearer the truth. In either case unis are likely to conclude that your A-level in Farsi is not worth as much as if you studied eg German.
Farsi is still a foreign language and you have no right in choosing which one you personally think is seen to be 'better'
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Farsi is still a foreign language and you have no right in choosing which one you personally think is seen to be 'better'
I never suggested that I think one is better than the other. I am suggesting that a uni admissions tutor might conclude that you getting an A* in German would show greater academic and linguistic ability than an A* in Farsi.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Without going to lessons I would not know how to speak/read/write persian
If you weren't born in Iran and have been taking classes in order to learn the language, how can it be your native tongue?

Am I missing something?
Inazuma
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
His point is that they will see it as a pointless A level because they will assume you would have known it / have had help etc. and so it is more useless than German because that would imply you actually learnt it from scratch. (And in terms of job prospects, German is likely more useful anyway)

Don't post on a public forums for opnions when you clearly don't want them. Just put the truth and be done with it.
starshine909
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
If you weren't born in Iran and have been taking classes in order to learn the language, how can it be your native tongue?

Am I missing something?
That is what I initially thought. Thanks
Snufkin
Report 5 years ago

Am I missing something?
There is a bit of a difference between a 'mother tongue' and a 'native language' but in terms of the OP's question they mean the same thing, i.e. the language you were brought up speaking at home. The OP didn't say she was taking classes in order to learn the language from scratch.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There is a bit of a difference between a 'mother tongue' and a 'native language' but in terms of the OP's question they mean the same thing, i.e. the language you were brought up speaking at home. The OP didn't say she was taking classes in order to learn the language from scratch.
She said without taking classes she wouldn't be able to speak the language.
Snufkin
Report 5 years ago
She said without taking classes she wouldn't be able to speak the language.
I asked her if her parents speak to her in Persian, she relied "unis wouldn't know that" which to me suggests they do, but she's unwilling to admit it.
starshine909
Rep:
?
I asked her if her parents speak to her in Persian, she relied "unis wouldn't know that" which to me suggests they do, but she's unwilling to admit it.

Well there's no question in UCAS asking what language you speak with your parents. So they wouldn't know regardless of if I did or not. Which I said I do not
Snufkin
Report 5 years ago
Well there's no question in UCAS asking what language you speak with your parents. So they wouldn't know regardless of if I did or not. Which I said I do not
So before you started these lessons, you didn't know any Persian at all? When did the lessons start?
starshine909
Rep:
?
So before you started these lessons, you didn't know any Persian at all? When did the lessons start?
when I started year one (so I was around 6)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
62.34%
I don't have everything I need (90)
37.66%

Watched Threads