Access course interview & assessments

Watch
Bbashy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone, hope you've had a lovely weekend

I have a few college interviews for an Access to Higher Education Diploma in Social Sciences and I'm kind of freaking out about the Maths & English assessments. I have GCSEs in both (B in Eng & C in Maths) and achieved Level 2 Functional skills in both last year.
Do you know if I'd still have to do the assessments if I have recent FS?
If so, what do they mean by working at Level 2 as I've been doing some initial assessments and it's coming up mixed with L1 & L2.
A tutor I work with has said that if I'm achieving Level 1 then that proves I'm working at Level 2, is this correct ?

I just don't want to not be accepted for missing the Level 2 mark by 1 or 2 points like I have been in the IAs.

How did you find your assessments at the interviews ?
lilly80
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bbashy)

I have a few college interviews for an Access to Higher Education Diploma in Social Sciences and I'm kind of freaking out about the Maths & English assessments. I have GCSEs in both (B in Eng & C in Maths) and achieved Level 2 Functional skills in both last year.
If so, what do they mean by working at Level 2 as I've been doing some initial assessments and it's coming up mixed with L1 & L2.
A tutor I work with has said that if I'm achieving Level 1 then that proves I'm working at Level 2, is this correct ?

I just don't want to not be accepted for missing the Level 2 mark by 1 or 2 points like I have been in the IAs.

If the assessment's are the same as mine, it's the same assessment as the functional skills.

Also you can get a mix of level 1 and 2, it shows what area you need work in. If you areally getting majority level 2 you will be fine
CasperW
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I don't understand what your tutor means by that, there's entry levels (below GCSE) which lead onto level 2 and 3.

I'm currently on the Social Sciences access course and took my entry tests a few months back, if you achieved a B & C GCSE I wouldn't be too worried about it, it wasn't that difficult and each test only lasted 20 minutes.

How it was explained to me:
Level 1 is a basic or Foundation Level
Level 2 is equivalent to GCSEs or First Diploma Level
Level 3 is equivalent to A Levels or Extended Diploma Level
Seiza
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Good afternoon,

From personal experience the assessments are just basic assessments in which may highlight to the provider any potential issues a potential student may possess in regards to things like dyslexia. The access programme changed for this years intake in regards to credit awards and in some part delivery. From what I have read generally universities requested functional skills level 2 as a minimum for access onto their courses. It seems that needing GCSEs grade c in English and sometimes maths seems to be more required now so access providers may as for c in maths and english or request that the student takes these alongside access. As you seem to have these grades or higher in GCSEs you should be golden. If however you feel you might possess dyslexia or similar please make the provider aware of this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (59)
29.21%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.43%
No I am happy with my choice (112)
55.45%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.92%

Watched Threads