The Student Room Group

Can't decide between single honours or joint

I'm studying psychology and statistics at St Andrews University. I am the first and only person doing this degree combination. I am so on the fence whether I should stick with my original plan of Psychology BSc with BPS recognition or Psychology and Statistics with BPS recognition. I need some advice

For single honours
I enjoy psychology a lot more.
I don't get stressed as much about it, and feel I would achieve a better mark overall with single honours.
I really struggle to keep my mental health together (I have bipolar disorder) when it comes to my maths and statistics exams. They really throw me off and I never feel like this with psychology.
I want to be involved with mental health regardless if it becomes my profession or not
I feel I would be much happier and be able to enjoy my university life more
I hardly study for psychology and get decent grades, and I study so much for stats and maths and get really average grades.

For joint honours
Statisticians are in very high demand, and I would be more likely to get a job than if I were to just do psychology.
It would open up more doors career wise, and I am not really sure what I want to do.
I enjoy statistics and feel like I am being sufficiently challenged which is something psychology just doesn't do for me
What is two more years of university vs the rest of my life? I can suffer 2 years to get a better job
It is a more respected and employable degree, and I might want to go into research.

Please help, I genuinely don't know what to do. I have an exam tomorrow and I feel so scared and exhausted.
Original post by Chammy1
X

This seems to boil down to do you want to be a bit happier at university now and a bit unhappier for the rest of your life (with a worse job or unemployment), or would you rather put hard work in now knowing it will all pay off later?

Personally, I would pick the second option.
Reply 2
Original post by Keyhofi

This seems to boil down to do you want to be a bit happier at university now and a bit unhappier for the rest of your life (with a worse job or unemployment), or would you rather put hard work in now knowing it will all pay off later?

Personally, I would pick the second option.

I know thats what it boils down to, but I don't know if I can last 2 years because I'm quite miserable and have mental health problems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending