The Student Room Group

21 years old with a 'mid life crises'. Want to drop out. Help.

Right. I'm seriously considering leaving uni (I am finishing my first year) as I feel like my course is pointless, gives me no actual skills, will leave me in debt and I am so skint, I don't think I can live like this for the next 2 years. It is not even like I hate my course.... it's just that I feel like I am only doing it because so that I will be able to tick the 'have a degree' box on a job application. I feel like it's a burden and I just want these three years to be over so I can start my life and start earning a wage.

This year has been a joke. I pay 9000/year so that I can log onto Blackboard and read powerpoint presentations. For example, first semester I didnt go to any of my lectures or even read the powerpoint presentations before seminars, I had one coursework assignment which was worth 100% of my degree. I passed it with 1 day's worth of catching up and about 10 hours of writing the essay, I got 68%.
Passed another module on which I spend approximately 30 minutes.
I just completed my final exams and I can you tell that my high school finals were 10 times as difficult. This is at a top 15 uni in a social science course. I understand it's only first year and it gets harder, but still, I feel like uni is useless - for me at least - I'm sure it's useful for other people and engineers, doctors as, I'm not trying to put anyone down.

I also feel like I will just end up with some mediocre office job earning 18000 like everybody else. I feel like my life is going nowhere.

I started uni because I felt like I had no other choice. I'm not an overly academic person, I was always just an OK-ish student at school but pulled myself today and got good grades in my high school finals and so got into uni several top 20 unis. So I thought, if I can get in, I cannot just pass up the chance. These days you need a degree for every job, even low level jobs, I mean they want a degree everywhere...because everybody has one.

But honestly I feel like I'm wasting my time. What I've always wanted to do is something music-related, not on the creative side, but as 'behind the scenes' person, work in live events and promotions, like a concert promoter or something like that. But I feel like my chances of that are minuscule without a degree or connections...

Now I am thinking about whether I should drop out of uni and start applying for apprenticeships in either that sector or some kind of business/marketing sector. But I am 21 years old and have no work experience aside from like, summers working at a coffee shop scooping ice cream. So how do I even go about getting an apprenticeship? I suspect they want previous work experience and references from employers. Are apprenticeships like really difficult to get? I've talked to a few people ages ago who were applying and it seemed like they're harder to get than to get into uni!!

I don't know. Maybe I should try and find some job waitressing or work at Tesco or something and try to volunteer at events or something to build up work experience so I have a chance at an apprenticeship? I have no idea what I should do.

I'm a flop. A 21 year old wanting to drop out with waitressing experience. :frown:

Help.:confused:
Why do people make a thread were they lay out their options then want other people to decide for them?

For me looking at it objectively it is clear what you need to do. The question is can you be bothered to undertake what you have to do?

Finish this year of Uni. Get a summer job, look for paid experience in what you want to do. Don't do volunteering when you need the money and they don't give you the experience you need. You will have to work, look for experience and contacts throughout the summer. If it is going your way then you drop out of uni and move to doing what you seek full time. If things aren't going your way then you take the second year of the course and have more money saved then you otherwise would have.

When I look at it you are constrained by your lack of money, lack of experience and lack of contacts. Your aim must be to increase your means in the window of time you have to do so.
Reply 2
Your not flop! Your being honest, you feel that your not learning any new knowledge or skills and paying for the privilege/burden. I think many students get pressured into going to university and just go with the flow. I think you need to do some research into what opportunities are available in music promotion/marketing and what are the entry routes. At least then you will know whether your ideas are realistic.

I know there is a lot of talk in the press about the increase number of apprenticeships, but the 'good' ones are very competitive, but I am sure a lot of employers would admire your honesty and your desire to 'start your life and start earning'. There are lots of festivals/events over the summer see if you can get a work this way. Have a look what your options are.

Good luck
Only you can decide

but a degree in anything is better than nothing. Ok so a very specific "weird" course like gold course design might be questionable but in a job market that is already saturated with graduates you could be disadvantaged if you pull out.

you may be cleverer than you think if you can keep up with the course with so little work.
but university isn't school , it is part taught, part self taught and part experience and development.
Reply 4
[QUOTE= What I've always wanted to do is something music-related, not on the creative side, but as 'behind the scenes' person, work in live events and promotions, like a concert promoter or something like that.

I saw thread here for opportunities working at concert/sales under the heading

"Uni Students Needed For Exciting Flexible Part Time Work " Watch

Worth a look.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending