The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

honest opinions

I'm currently torn trying to make my mind up between Reading and Sussex.

I have a BBB offer for Biochem at Reading and if anyone can give me some information about the department I'd be really greatful, for example the average intake of students, the liklihood of being let in if missing your grades, the friendliness of lecturers, the way the course is taught.

Also I'd like some information on the area, the nightlife, the social life, the halls.

I know opinions are going to be biased. I'm not asking for glorification of the uni, I'd really appreiciate some honest opinions of the uni and the department.

I'm visiting on Feb 14th so recommendations of any good pubs or clubs for after would be nice :smile:

Thanks x
Reply 1
Hmm. Can't tell you much at all about biochem as I'm doing history.

But about Reading in general... well, I stuck it down as #6 on my UCAS form and didn't think I'd go there at all. Then I actually visited and fell in love with the place - great campus, it's really green (there's a few sports fields right next to our hall (Windsor)) and a gym within 5 mins walking, so great for keeping fit/doing sport. I'm a lazy git so I picked a hall within like, 10 mins walk to most uni facilities.

Erm, nightlife wise...

Union nights are Wednesdays and Saturdays... there isn't a great student night in reading on Wednesday or Saturday so we goto the union.... fairly cheap.. snakebite's about £1.80, JD+Coke and other spirits about £2. Fairly reasonable. Some say it gets a bit boring after a while but I'm not bored yet.

There's some good places in town too like Bar Risa on Mondays, Fez on Tuesdays, and QBar ( bit expensive though...) I'm sure I've missed something out, but yeah.

There isn't as much variety as somewhere like London, but to be honest I've been out every week about 2/3 times with the lads on my floor and we're not sick or tired of anywhere yet... well, I'm a bit bored of Fez but that's probably because I went there about 7 times in the first 3 weeks. Don't rinse places too much and you'll be fine :P

as far as halls go, some are better than others obviously. I went for Catered as I didn't think I could justify the cost of en-suite self catered. Sharing showers isn't half as bad as anyone imagined and I'd rather have to walk down the corridor to wash and have someone make me meals, than have to wash in my room and feed myself. I'm in Windsor btw, so any questions feel free to ask.

I've seen St Pats, Sherfield, Childs and Wessex halls inside.... and to be honest I still prefer my room and corridors. Windsor's great cos of the food (best food in catered halls as has been said by many people) and location ( nearest hall to uni buildings. Great for the lazy gits among us :P)

Dunno what else to add really. PM me if you wanna know more.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
I knew you'd answer first.

tis ya northolt buddy btw :P

Reply 3
I looked at both Reading and Sussex, but chose Reading. It's an excellent place, and I agree with most things Pandys said.
I agree with what has previously been said.

I'm on the Bulmershe campus, which I love as it has a nice community feel as it's a smaller campus compared with Whiteknights and there are only 8 people in one flat.

I'm not a huge fan of the Union nights but the clubs in town are good. Brannigans on a Monday night (student night) is fab, and it's only £2 entry with an NUS card.

If you don't want to go cluubing, then the Back of Beyond (a bar owned by whetherspoons) is dirt-cheap. Being a tee-totaller I'm a fan because the J20s are 99p. On a Thursday night my flatmate bought a vodka and blackcurrant, a pint of Worthers (I think), a JD and coke, my J20 and an alcohol-free perry for just under £5 (it wasn't all for her).

Just make sure you go to many of the clubs before 11pm, as I went to Bar Risa about 11:10pm and it cost me £5 to get in.

There are also plenty of student organised events at Q bar, Bar Risa and Brannigans, where the tickets are not too badly priced.

If all else fails, just buy some board games. Plenty of hours of fun to be had, lol.
Reply 5
Back of Beyond is amazing. They have Kopparberg :biggrin:
Reply 6
Back of beyond is a great place. Too bad it's managed by a complete prick.
Reply 7
I am also thinking of Reading for MA study.

Any info on the place?

Is the library on campus?

Thanks
There are 2 libraries. One on the Whiteknights campus and one on the Bulmershe campus. The Whiteknights library is a lot bigger, but the Bulmershe library has a very large collection of teaching aids, as it's mainly for students who are doing teaching degrees.
Reply 9
Pandy
Back of Beyond is amazing. They have Kopparberg :biggrin:

zomg best drink ever. Better than stupid Magners, ewww. <3 <3
Reply 10
I'm also staying at Bulmershe, as my course is on this campus. The campus here is lovely but a little out of the way. We have a JCR bar which is quite good and holds events.

Now Reading Town... the best nights I've had are organized by funky frog and they are pretty crazy and always themed! I haven't noticed it being expensive as I drink before I go out and always come back with change from £20 including return taxi. But you do make your own fun! Fez is wicked too.

I have been to the main campus about 5 times since I got to uni and 3 were is freshers week. But I always feel lost when I'm there, I'll stick to the comfort of Bulmershe!

Whatever people say about Reading it is up to you. One thing I have found is that when I mention that I go to Reading people are actually really impressed it's a fantastic uni and you make it what it is! Good luck!
Reply 11
Fyska
zomg best drink ever. Better than stupid Magners, ewww. <3 <3

Damn right! Blackberry flavour has gotta be the best. I wish they did it at the union or my JCR...
Any PG at Reading I can field questions to?

Latest

Trending

Trending