The Student Room Group

GCSE English Heroes!!!!

Hello i would like someone to mark this for me.I am terrible at english and just need a C, the exam board is WJEC and its the english lit unit 2a foundation if that helps. it is marked out of 20 and 4 extra marks for spelling i would be grateful if someone could mark it and give me some tips.

(ii) What do you think of the ending of the novel, from when Francis visits Larry? Write about:
why Francis goes to see Larry;
the way Francis and Larry speak and behave;
when Francis goes to see Nicole;
the way Francis and Nicole speak and behave;
anything else you think important. [20 + 4]

ii) There are a few reasons that Francis goes to see Larry, The main one; to complete his mission and kill Larry.Firstly when Francis goes and visits Larry he's really nervous "the pistol feels like a tumour on my leg" this shows he's not entirely ok with the idea of shooting someone with a gun, or it could be the fact that its reminding him of the war and the horrible events.This comes under the theme of war and innocence as Francis' not a killer.Another reason he goes and visits Larry is to seek revenge for what he had done to Nicole, as he was there that night he feels partly responsible for what Larry did to Nicole. Maybe Francis wants to get the guilt off his back, Larry is unaware that Francis saw him raping Nicole.When Francis enters Larry's tenant for a moment " it seemed like we were going to embrace like old friends..i pulled back" This shows that Larry brings back good memories, But then he soon remembers why he's there, Francis is nervous seeing Larry possibly he's afraid as he knows what he's capable of or he's just overwhelmed by the reality of his mission, Francis is so nervous that he doesn’t even notice Larry's crutch on the table. When Francis pulls the gun out we see the darker side of him, the fact that Francis only decided in the moment where he was going to shoot Larry " in the heart …. the way he broke Nicole's and mine" tells me that he didn’t plan or didn’t plan well to kill Larry so maybe his intensions weren't to kill Larry but its hard to believe that. When Francis reveals the reason why he went to war and why he jumped on the grenade, Larry unexpectedly comforted Francis by telling him his "Heroic instincts made you jump on that grenade" This highlights the good side of Larry, but after all can he be trusted.When Larry pulls his gun out onto his lap showing how he thinks of committing suicide like Francis maybe they have more in common than they think, When he pulls the magazine out " It's empty.. I would never hurt you Francis" once again comforting Francis but Larry did have a gun pointing at him when he said that.Larry talks about "the sweet young things" and how Francis could have "had any girl that night" this shows the lack of respect for women he has, he is more annoyed at the fact Francis will never look at him the same again than the fact that he raped Francis friend. "sweet young things" implies more than one, maybe that’s the reason Larry stopped show business, as the kids new little about him they knew he got into some trouble in New York, "things" again show that he doesn't see them as people just "things".Larry asked "does one bad sin wipe out all the good things" Surprisingly i agree with this, one bad thing doesn't make all the good things you’ve done disappear, but for Larry he didn’t just do one bad thing he did multiple, and the fact that he repeated a horrific act more than once does outweigh all the good things. Larry saves Francis "One guns enoughfor what has to be done" by killing himself, this saved him from being a murderer and gives some hope to Francis, does Larry commit a heroic act by doing this or is he just ending the pain he was in. Robert Cormier could be suggesting a Heroic act doesn’t make you a hero, as everyone's done bad, or does it mean that we need heroes weather there all good or not.When the gun shot reminds Francis of "a ping-pong ball hissing the table" is ironic as Larry's the one to thank for all the good that has come from playing table tennis, as that’s the reason he went out with Nicole, this again brings up the topic again "does one bad sin wipe out all the good things".Francis goes and sees Nicole in hope of of being together but Nicole doesn’t feel the same, by Nicole forgiving Francis "It wasn’t your fault" for the rape , it shows that the only forgiveness he needs is from himself. Like how Nicole caused Francis to leave her and Frenchtown, she tells him to go and "write a book to find what a hero" is , the ending is of Francis on a train thinking about the book and even the doctor in London shows how much hope Nicole gave him and we are left with the doors that Francis closed opening again.Francis does mention at the end that the real heroes were the ones who died in war, he repeats what Arthur said "we weren't heroes " but this was in a different context implying that as they stayed there and didn’t run away they were the heroes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending