The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature Paper 1

How did everyone find the exam? I did OMAM and AIC, and I found it very pleasing!! The question on Mr Birling's views was a blessing, along with Curley's Wife's death!! The brutality question was good too!! Thoughts?? How did you all get on? 😊
Reply 1
Hey same I thought that birling question was a gift and so was the one on curleys wife although I felt a bit stuck on the part b overall it went pretty well it could have been worse :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Hey, I did AQA and it went well too. :smile:
Reply 3
Literature was never my strong point but I struggled even though the questions weren't too bad... I wish this were an afternoon exam so I could have felt more awake:frown:
Anyone do TKAM and LOTF?
The LOTF question on darkness... was good but the TKAM passage was so obscure! :frown:
Kill me now D: I missed out part b of the Of mice and men. I got an A on my coursework is it still possible to get an A? I know English lit is my weakest subject but missing a WHOLE section of the question paper makes me feel like I can get a B max D:
Reply 6
I did LOTF and Mister Pip (: i think generally all of the questions could have been a lot worse
Loved this paper, so easy to include context points on racism and sexism in the brutality question! Feminists are going to have a field day with this paper!
Hiya, I did WJEC and found the first section so difficult, especially on question B. :'( Section B was a good question though.
Reply 9
Am I the only one that did the question on inequality not Mr B
Nope, i did the inequality one too... i really struggled with curley's wife's death passage.. i literally had one thing to say and i just really milked it
That CW death all I did was talk about animals and Lennie's name. For the inequality things wrote 2 pages about stage directions :-(
I found that the questions were easy except for how her death was portrayed?! I didn't quite understand but wrote some stuff anyway ! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ninjadan
That CW death all I did was talk about animals and Lennie's name. For the inequality things wrote 2 pages about stage directions :-(

I wrote the same for Curley's Wife! Yay, at least I'm doing something right! I also wrote about how it's clear Lennie is very stressed out by his mental difficulties when he pleads for her not to die and says 'I done another bad thing,' showing how it is hurting him, as well as others and was an accident blah blah blah.

MR BRUFF ROCKS!!!!!
Praise Mr Bruff
Reply 15
For OMAM part B, is it okay to write about one character only?
i wrote about a character then a description of something, if you wrote something else then yeah
Original post by Acirar
For OMAM part B, is it okay to write about one character only?

Maybe not because it was asking you to write about the brutality of ranch life so you needed to give references to the other characters in the ranch so Candy, Crooks, George and Lennie, maybe Curleys's wife too.
You could have mentioned the society at the time, the context: Great Depression, Dust Bowl, lives of migrant workers during the 1930's.
You could have talked about George and Lennie - migrant workers/ broken dreams
Crooks - represent racial discrimination/prejudice, social inequality
Candy - disabled, frailty of human existence, nothing to look forward to
Curley's wife - broken dreams/ marginalisation of women

Which character did you do? What did you write about that character.
Reply 18
Original post by Workangel_24
Maybe not because it was asking you to write about the brutality of ranch life so you needed to give references to the other characters in the ranch so Candy, Crooks, George and Lennie, maybe Curleys's wife too.
You could have mentioned the society at the time, the context: Great Depression, Dust Bowl, lives of migrant workers during the 1930's.
You could have talked about George and Lennie - migrant workers/ broken dreams
Crooks - represent racial discrimination/prejudice, social inequality
Candy - disabled, frailty of human existence, nothing to look forward to
Curley's wife - broken dreams/ marginalisation of women

Which character did you do? What did you write about that character.

Thats relieving! Thought I did it wrong. I talked about Candy and how he gives Steinbeck an opportunity to talk about social discrimination based on age and handicap. What about you?

Quick Reply

Latest