Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So tomorrow is the Dynamic Planet exam. I noticed that a thread hadn't been made on it so here is one now. Everybody feel free to ask questions or discuss here.

ReputationRep:
    what is likely to come up do you think?

ReputationRep:
    The case studies for Section B and C always come up every year. So Coasts/Rivers and Extreme Environments/Oceans.

ReputationRep:
    can someone help with these two questions I cannot remember how to answer!

Examine the uniqueness of one culture of a community in a hot arid/polar region you have studied.
    Explain how how people are adapted to srvive extreme environments.

8 Marks + 3 Spag

ReputationRep:
    How do you answer 8 mark questions? I have forgotten

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsamor)
    Examine the uniqueness of one culture of a community in a hot arid/polar region you have studied.
    Explain how how people are adapted to srvive extreme environments.

8 Marks + 3 Spag
    For the first one, talk about the culture of a community like the languages in the Arctic and then cultural dilution.
    For the second one, talk about transport, food, clothing and building design.

EDIT: Not Arctic, Alaska. Look at your textbook if you have it.

(Original post by Meggy moo 1)
    I don't think there is a particular structure. I have never heard of a standard layout for an 8 marker.

ReputationRep:
    Hoping for an LEDC/MEDC Volcano/Earthquake, MEDC Volcano would be cheeky nandos... Biosphere is awful cant lie

ReputationRep:
    As many points as you can think of, and explain them all. right at the end, link it back to question

ReputationRep:
    Explain how people are adapted to survived extreme environments
    (Polar Region)

Inuits adapt to life in extreme polar environment as Inuits are short and stocky, helping to conserve heat. Clothing is multi-layered and uses local skins and furs. Also, farming is not possible. Traditionally, seasonal hunting was vital, with food being frozen or salted. The Inuit and Saami adapted to diets based on protein and flat. Furthermore, in homes, steep roofs are needed to shed snow, and modern buildings are triple glazed and face into the sun to maximise solar gain. They are built on stilts to avoid problems of melting the frozen ground (permafrost).

This was marked by my geography teacher as 6/6 but you want an 8 marker so I'll add an extra point:

Camels, which can cope with aridity, were used in the past and travel was often at night. Modern roads and rails have to be designed to cope with heat and resist buckling

Sorry for the long paragraph

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GitFace93)
    As many points as you can think of, and explain them all. right at the end, link it back to question
    Would I have to give a contrasting point to the question if I could?

ReputationRep:
    HOLA

ReputationRep:
    Okay Examine the Uniqueness of culture question:
    In Australia, the aboriginals people are unique as they have traditonal systems for collecting water and irrigating crops, this is important for finding food and water during extreme droughts, such as the desert shrub. This is also more sustainable. Therefore it increases their chance of survival. In addition, the Aboriginals have many traditional cultural events through music which contribute the uniquess of their culture, however due to cultural dilution the cultural ceremonies are being faked to gain money from tourism. Furthermore the aborginals are important as they understand the importance of protecting the national enviroment therefore they are less likely to pose a human threat to the hot arid environment. Sinmarly in Alaska, iniuts have their own historical events which they use to share stories in their own language to help keep their culture alive.

How much would I get

ReputationRep:
    I'm so worried that the questions are going to be phrased in a confusing way so I won't know which case studies to use

ReputationRep:
    i probably would tbh, my teacher never told me that tho so i dont know
    Would I have to give a contrasting point to the question if I could?

ReputationRep:
    I'm so nervous! I'm doing coastal change and oceans on the edge
    Geography exam questions are always worded so meanly- I bet this time tomorrow I'll be drowning in my own tears

ReputationRep:
    Oh and for 8 markers isn't it just 4 points+explanation? Hm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImagineCats)
    Oh and for 8 markers isn't it just 4 points+explanation? Hm
    Yeah thats what all our teachers say, because the examiners always looking for it.

Btw, what case studys are you focusing on for Coasts and Oceans on the Edge?

ReputationRep:
    I have a slight feeling that the geography exam tomorrow will probably be easy but since I'm genuinely bad at geography, I'll find it so hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImagineCats)
    I'm so nervous! I'm doing coastal change and oceans on the edge
    Geography exam questions are always worded so meanly- I bet this time tomorrow I'll be drowning in my own tears
    You're not alone there
    :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrydaveis14)
    Yeah thats what all our teachers say, because the examiners always looking for it.

Btw, what case studys are you focusing on for Coasts and Oceans on the Edge?
    Coasts: Holderness (Hornsea, Mappleton, Spun head)
    Oceans: Soufriere bay and North Sea
    You?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 26, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.