The Student Room Group

How does Islam relate to one's character, personality, spirituality and development?

Hello all :h:

The religion forum is swamped by debate with regards to Islam, which encourages Muslims and non-Muslims alike to overlook the essence of Islam. Some have distanced this so much from what "Islam" means to them that they assume "Sufism", in whatever shape or form they see it, to be the "only spiritual, peaceful, thoughtful, reflective type of Islam". Certainly, Islam and spirituality have always been intertwined, but perhaps the gap was created and is being widened much later on.

As such, this thread is for Muslims and non-Muslims alike to ask, learn about and discuss this significant aspect of Islam. Feel free to post quotes related to this subject too.

:h:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In the name of Allah, the most beneficent the most merciful,

It's a brilliant question, and a pertinent one too. I would argue that the essence of Islam is in knowing our creator, and through knowing him we know ourselves - what being a human actually means, the privilege, the higher purpose, the power coupled with the responsibility.

Through Muhammed pbuh, and his Ahlulbayt a.s, we can see individuals who lived ascetic lives, who strive for justice, equality for all. They were not simply individuals who stood on a prayer mat praying , rather, they were individuals who sought to bring reform and change of the society around them, and cultivate spiritually inside them.

Infact, spirituality, and the essence of Islam is in the potential of a single human, but also the potential of a collection of human beings, and what we can achieve, and what systems we can create. That is why in Islam, it is encouraged to pray in congregation, it is encouraged to keep family ties, social ties, to be forgiving, to have a sense of social and religious tolerance.

Through individuals such as Muhammed pbuh, Ali ibn Abu Talib a.s, and Hussain a.s, among others, we see men who were ardent adherents to the path of God, who cried out at night when many were sleeping , cultivating a relationship with their lord and of the pure spirituality inside. However, you did not see them confined to the mosques or in seclusion. They embodied the essence of Islam - a holistic, internal and external struggle for reformation, for change, to strive for Islam both in ones own soul and in ones own community.
It has absolutely no relationship with character at all.

There are Muslims who get drunk, take drugs, go clubbing, have sex, eat pork and I'm not telling them not to do those things, but this is why I laugh at the idea that in being a Muslim you are joining this family of people who are on this righteous mission out in al dunya.

Equally look at the I-Soc, it's just a bunch of people posting quotes and graphics they found on Google and you know this has no relevance to the world, it doesn't help poor people, it doesn't comfort people who are in despair, it has no relevance to anything.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by yo radical one

There are Muslims who get drunk, take drugs, go clubbing, have sex, eat pork and I'm not telling them not to do those things, but this is why I laugh at the idea that in being a Muslim you are joining this family of people who are on this righteous mission out in al dunya.

Equally look at the I-Soc, it's just a bunch of people posting quotes and graphics they found on Google and you know this has no relevance to the world, it doesn't help poor people, it doesn't comfort people who are in despair, it has no relevance to anything.

I would say you have made a beautiful point. This is precisely why this thread poses such a beautiful question. Is Islam simply calling yourself a muslim, doing Eid, having a beard, or does Islam mean you realize the position of God, you understand the core tennents of Islam, and seek reform not only inwardly but seek reform of your own communities.

I argue Muhammed pbuh, Ali ibn Abu Talib a.s (his cousin,whom he adopted and was closest to him) embodied the one who inwardly sought spiritual cultivation and outwardly sought reform.

If you look on the ISOC at times, you will find individuals who really give posts where they reflect, input their views, and seek to cause not only and inwardly spiritual reform, but as i repeat, reform for society, for the human beings around them, muslim and non-muslim.

We often use the ISOC to gain gems of knowledge, to use it as a pass-time to get those little nuggets of spiritual nourishment, hence the videos and words of guidance through the hadiths.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Please be aware that this thread is not for debates between religion and atheism, nor for off-topic discussion. The Faith and Spirituality forum is distinct from the Religion forum in D&CA in this regard.
Reply 5
Original post by generic_man
As a non-Muslim, I believe Islam is detrimental to the character and personality of Muslims. If your religion teaches you that it's OK to kill people for being gay or to keep slaves then it's teaching you not to value human life.

Do you accept any part of Islamic teaching to be contrary to detriment?
Reply 6
Original post by yo radical one

It certainly does relate to character.

The subject of the thread is Islamic teaching, hence this is distinct from 'the unislamic actions of some Muslims".

As for the ISOC, I don't see what you have said as being substantial. It may be argued that a significant proportion of the stuff posted there does help poor people (by encouraging the users to do good, discouraging greed, advocating the striving for good in the afterlife and the dissociation from being engrossed by 'al dunya' [this world]). The case for comforting people is even stronger, as those who read posts and use the thread regularly are often comforted by some of the posts. An example of this is the following:

Spoiler

As such, it seems more relevant than some may assume.
Original post by ash92:)
Do you accept any part of Islamic teaching to be contrary to detriment?

I'm not sure what you mean, could you phrase your question in a simpler way?
Reply 8
Let me guess you're shia

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by generic_man
I'm not sure what you mean, could you phrase your question in a simpler way?

Ok. Is there any part of Islamic teaching, aside from things that you personally see as problematic and detrimental, which you feel to be good, agreeable and beneficial with regards to one's character, one's behaviour, one's interaction with others, one's thought and 'spiritual' (as opposed to materialistic) development? Is there any aspect of Islamic teaching that you think encourages one to be a better person? Or is there any aspect which possibly fits but you feel you don't really understand it?

Original post by aifas72
Let me guess you're shia

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I'm not shi'a. I have no idea why you would assume this from the subject of the thread.

It is the sense of bewilderment from the internal aspects of Islam that this thread aims to discuss.
Reply 10
Reply 11
It was narrated that ‘Abdullah said:
“The Prophet (ﷺ) lay down on a reed mat, and it left marks on his skin. I said: ‘May my father and mother be ransomed for you, O Messenger of Allah! If you had told us we would have provided you with something that would save you this trouble.’ The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: ‘What is there between myself and the world? This world and I are just like a rider who stops to rest beneath the shade of a tree then goes and leaves it.’”

[Sunan Ibn Majah]
Reply 12
It was narrated from Abu Hurairah that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said:
“Richness is not an abundance of worldly goods, rather richness is contentment with one’s lot.”

[Sunan Ibn Majah]
Reply 13
It was narrated from Salamah bin ‘Ubaidullah bin Mihsan Al-Ansari that his father said:
“The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: ‘Whoever among you wakes up physically healthy, feeling safe and secure within himself, with food for the day, it is as if he acquired the whole world.’”

[Sunan Ibn Majah]
Reply 14
Abu Hurairah narrated that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said:
“Look at those who are beneath you and do not look at those who are above you, for it is more suitable that you should not consider as less the blessing of Allah.”

[Sunan Ibn Majah]
Reply 15
It was narrated that Abu Hurairah, who attributed it to the Prophet (ﷺ), said:
“Allah does not look at your forms or your wealth, rather He looks at your deeds and your hearts.”

[Sunan Ibn Majah]
Reply 16
It was narrated that ‘Aishah said:
“We, the family of Muhammad (ﷺ), would stay for a month during which no fire would be lit (for cooking) and we had only dates and water.”

[Sunan Ibn Majah]
Reply 17
‘Umar bin Khattab said:
“I entered upon the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) when he was (sitting) on a reed mat. I sat down and (saw that) he was wearing a waist wrap, and there was no other barrier between him and the mat but his waist wrap, and the reed mat had made marks on his side. And I saw a handful of barley, nearly a Sa’, and some acacia leaves, in a corner of the room, and a skin hanging up. My eyes flowed with tears, and he said: ‘Why are you weeping, O son of Khattab?’ I said: ‘O Prophet of Allah, why should I not weep? This mat has made marks on your side, and this is all you have accumulated, I cannot see anything other than what I see (here), while Chosroes and Caesar live among fruits and rivers. You are the Prophet of Allah and His Chosen One, and this is what you have accumulated.’ He said: ‘O son of Khattab, does it not please you (to know) that (these things) are for us in the Hereafter and for them in this world?’ He said: ‘Yes.’”

[Sunan Ibn Majah]
Reply 18
‘Umar said:
“I heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) say: ‘If you were to rely upon Allah with the reliance He is due, you would be given provision like the birds: They go out hungry in the morning and come back with full bellies in the evening.”

[Sunan Ibn Majah]
Reply 19
It was narrated that Abu Ayyub said:
“A man came to the Prophet (ﷺ) and said: ‘O Messenger of Allah, teach me but make it concise.’ He said: ‘When you stand to pray, pray like a man bidding farewell. Do not say anything for which you will have to apologize. And give up hope for what other people have.’”

[Sunan Ibn Majah]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending