The Student Room Group

The TSR Jewish Society (J-Soc) - thread TWO

Scroll to see replies

Revenged
btw, i have a valid question for a change... why do orthodox jews marry so young?...

i'm asking about this because one guy on my course has already got married at 20... and after some facebook hunting i found that it was quite common... and then i asked him about it and he was surprised by how strange i thought it was... but it is serious weird that people have arranged marriages when they are 20 and at university!...

No offense to our orthodox ladies, but it's because they're taught that their primary responsibilities are to be good wives and mothers. Most are more than willing to marry even at the expense of a career.
Helzerel
:eek2: ALEX! :biggrin:
Ye godz how are you?
What've you been upto? Where've you been? Why haven't you kept in touch? Why are you no longer online?
We've so much to catch up on..I actually miss you and your Viking randomness.

:eek2:... woah hez... lol... i have been online... check my TSR posts if you don't believe me... but i don't bother using msn anymore because there is facebook... and what have i been up to... just been at uni but i've now broken up from uni cuz it's the easter holidays... after a few days of celebration, it's just hit me that i have to revise for exams...

Most of those marriages aren't arranged dear - it's only the ultra ultra Orthodox that have ''arranged'' marriages and even then, the label is a misnomer.

Why so young? Coz it's the fashion nowadays - you find the right person, so you get married. Many wait til the final year of uni to get engaged then get married the year after graduation when they're self-supporting but some get married before (depending on financial ability).

i know it isn't really arranged but you still get introduced to people... it just seems very strange to me...
Man finds custom from different culture strange SHOCKER!
cheesecakebobby
Man finds custom from different culture strange SHOCKER!

don't talk back...

that's just rude...

:cool:
Revenged
don't talk back...

that's just rude...

:cool:
It is part of my culture to expect women to be seen and not heard, respect it :biggrin:

Oh and well done to Israel - 4-0!
cheesecakebobby
It is part of my culture to expect women to be seen and not heard, respect it :biggrin:

It is part of my culture to look down of people that go to KCL and to look down on people who don't actually study real courses at university...

And you know it would be hypocritical for me to respect your views if you don't respect mine... :wink:
Revenged

*swares at PD*

Is "swares" Norweigian for 'swears'?

*kicks Revenged dans le butt* :wink:
Revenged
It is part of my culture to look down of people that go to KCL and to look down on people who don't actually study real courses at university...

And you know it would be hypocritical for me to respect your views if you don't respect mine... :wink:

haha. Both self-owned and owned!

This internet fight could be special (I know you both are very *special*). The only way it could be more venemous is if I was involved. But Im far too much of a good boy for that.
Revenged

Crap, does my profile still say that? I left there like a year ago
Phonicsdude
Is "swares" Norweigian for 'swears'?

*kicks Revenged dans le butt* :wink:

is "norweigan" norwegian for norwegian?... :wink:
cheesecakebobby
Crap, does my profile still say that? I left there like a year ago

lol... it gets worse... you are now 'studying' Social Anthropology and Japanese...
Revenged
lol... it gets worse... you are now 'studying' Social Anthropology and Japanese...
Yup, my own research on Norway has been fascinating. The yearly 'washing of the reindeer' festival performed by naked old men and televised on all 2 national TV stations sounds a lot of fun, especially when the royal family themseves dress as deer and are gently massaged with hammers
your comments would be offensive if i was really norwegian...

but i am not...

you lose... :wink:
It must take a very confused individual to PRETEND to be Norwegian :eek:

Perhaps I should jut let the others here administer some Jewatherapy... you could at least pretend to be from a superior people :p:
It must take a very confused individual to PRETEND to be Norwegian :eek:

Whereas you are pretending to make your academic credentials better than they are in reality...

"Academic Info:
Dance and Media studies, Manchester Met (with a year in industry at McDonald's)"

:p:
I CAN DREAM, YEAH!?!?!?!

Sniff, I only needed one more E than I got... (none)
But seriously why did you pick social anthropology and japanese...

I don't know why people picked these courses... The only person I know doing anthropology wanted to do archaeology but picked the wrong subject by mistake and thought what the hell i'll do anthropology instead...
Well, halfway through my year at KCL I realised I didn't really care about the course any more, partly cos it is so abstract and conflicting that I never got the sense that I was learning anything or getting anywhere - some people like that, I didn't. Someone suggested languages because it has the sense of marked progression, and I was pretty good at school at languages. Japanese made sense cos I like the culutre, the history, and want to be a games designer. When I was reading about Japan, I noticed that the parts I was interested in tended to be from a cultural studies perspective so i read some more social anthropology books and found it really suited me, so I got SOAS to change my unconditional in straight Japanese to joint honours. So in a way like your friend I stumbled across it by accident after choosing what I decided was the wrong subject :smile:

What do you study btw? Apologies if this is common knowledge to everyone else
Revenged
:eek2:... woah hez... lol... i have been online... check my TSR posts if you don't believe me... but i don't bother using msn anymore because there is facebook... and what have i been up to... just been at uni but i've now broken up from uni cuz it's the easter holidays... after a few days of celebration, it's just hit me that i have to revise for exams...

i know it isn't really arranged but you still get introduced to people... it just seems very strange to me...

I don't really use TSR anymore. :p:
I think I poked you just now - but there were a few people with your name...did I get the right one?
Is everything going well with you?

How do you plan to meet your wife? Think about it - loads of people are introduced through friends e.g. at uni and that's what most of these ''arranged'' marriages are.
cheesecakebobby
What do you study btw? Apologies if this is common knowledge to everyone else

He does medicine at the best uni ever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending