Wuthering Heights Emily Bronte and a synoptic paper confusion? Watch

maya060911
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I'm sitting the Wuthering Heights paper for A2 next month.
I'm completely stuck on all the analysis and structure of the synoptic and the novel.
I know of point, evidence and explain but I'm still finding it difficult.
It's mainly the analysis of the features used within, I just can't seem to get into the habit of doing extended explanations.
So when there's metaphors, similes, personification, narrative stance, paradox and so on I can't talk about it.
Tried my tutor but she's not explaining it very well.
Any advice?
It's WJEC by the way.
TSR Jessica
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
dossedudex
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TSR Jessica)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:
i am a musician and an expert in the song wuthering heights, but i never anilised it i just dance on it.
alexam92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by maya060911)
Hi, I'm sitting the Wuthering Heights paper for A2 next month.
I'm completely stuck on all the analysis and structure of the synoptic and the novel.
I know of point, evidence and explain but I'm still finding it difficult.
It's mainly the analysis of the features used within, I just can't seem to get into the habit of doing extended explanations.
So when there's metaphors, similes, personification, narrative stance, paradox and so on I can't talk about it.
Tried my tutor but she's not explaining it very well.
Any advice?
It's WJEC by the way.
Hi Maya,

Are there any specific parts you're confused on or is it the general language - metaphors, similes etc that are confusing you?

Basically, when you go through your revision notes and you're going through the novel to recap, the best tip I can give you is to always ask "why?" and "what?" throughout. I'll give you an example:

So for specific quotations:

“Heaven did not seem to be my home; and I broke my heart with weeping to come back to earth; and the angels were so angry that they flung me out into the middle of the heath on the top of Wuthering Heights; where I woke sobbing for joy.”

So to analyse it:

What? Here, Cathy is explaining that without Heathcliff, heaven would not be heaven for her. She is explaining that she knows she doesn't belong to heaven because of her love for Heathcliff, and as a result, she doesn't want to be in heaven

Why? Here, historical context plays importance. The book is 19th century, a period in which religion played heavily on the minds of people and what they did. Cathy is denouncing religion for the sake of Heathcliff, showing the true extent of her feelings for him. More so, as religion was such an important part of people's lives, it linked in heavily with society. By connection, Cathy is denouncing society and condemning it for making it impossible for her to be with Heathcliff.

I'll give another example:
The gloomy background in Wuthering Heights

What? Throughout the novel various different characters describe Wuthering Heights and the area surrounding it as gloomy, dark, always raining, always cold. Pathetic fallacy in a novel is when the description of the weather is used to represent the mood or feeling of a novel.

Why? Pathetic fallacy is a big feature in WH and basically it shows the gloomy mood and feeling of the novel. It can also be used to foreshadow - hint at the future of the novel - the outcome of the events, which turn out to be quite gloomy indeed.

So if PEE is failing you or you feel like your analysis is lacking a little just keep remembering to ask yourself "what?" and "why?" throughout the extracts you're set to analyse. Note every little detail down as it could be important and remember that if you can back it up, there can be no bad analysis

Hope this helps!
maya060911
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you for your responses! Appreciate it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (44)
9.21%
I used to but I don't now (13)
2.72%
No, but I want to start (171)
35.77%
No, I am unable to (112)
23.43%
No, I chose not to (138)
28.87%