The Student Room Group

How does A-Level maths will help with a Medicine degree?

I was thinking the logical thinking and problem-solvingabilities from maths might be useful in medicine, and some understanding of statistics might be useful for public health and general research...?
Next to zero.

The statistics in a medical degree is mostly recipe following and the concepts are not particularly complicated.

Might be more relevant in some medical specialties, at which point your a-levels will be a blur anyway.
Original post by minimist
I was thinking the logical thinking and problem-solvingabilities from maths might be useful in medicine, and some understanding of statistics might be useful for public health and general research...?

It doesn't - I can think of few things which are less useful.
Reply 3
In short: not at all.

I'd agree with your ideas.
Reply 5
The maths department want use to answer questions to help them write our references, so I need some answers. Any little use at all is appreciated :smile:
Reply 6
The maths department want use to answer questions to help them write our references, so I need some answers. Any little use at all is appreciated :smile:

Just don't start writing crap like that in your PS - it's totally unnecessary.

Maths A-level is completely non-essential for medicine. Some of the concepts within it may very occasionally be useful e.g. understanding the concept of first order/second order equations for pharmacology - you'd never have to actually use the equation, just know what it means to say that drug exhibits zero-order kinetics, for example. It's handy to be reasonably numerate, but all the stuff you need to know for things like actual drug calculations is pre-GCSE level.

I don't think the specific maths you learn is particularly relevant, but yeah it would be mainly the "transferable skills" I guess, such as logic, numeracy etc.

I second the notion that you shouldn't waste words on this in your personal statement. It should be vast vast majority your work experience, volunteering and motivation.
Apparently nothing haha
But I chose it because I'm good at it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by nexttime
I second the notion that you shouldn't waste words on this in your personal statement. It should be vast vast majority your work experience, volunteering and motivation.

Don't worry guys, it's not going anywhere near my personal statement.
Reply 11
Any more ideas anyone?
I think problem solving critical thinking understanding statistical etc are all fair points also A level maths is hard (not media studies)so doing well shows that you can excel in a difficult academic subject like medicine
Any more ideas anyone?

Out of interest, is this for them to include in your reference?
Reply 14
Original post by ForestCat
Out of interest, is this for them to include in your reference?

Yes, the teachers requested we answer a series of questions in order to help them write their references.
Reply 15

The statistics has been handy but in the most part it's handy for passing a2 chemistry without which obviously you're not going to med school anytime soon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending