chelsomer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm not entirely sure what grades I'm expecting to get but my college mainly offers students 3 A levels, with the rare occasion of some taking a fourth.

I've only taken 3 and I was wondering whether that's still good enough to get into Cambridge or other universities with high expectations.

If I was to exceed my expectation this year at AS and get good grades I would have considered Cambridge although I've just realised I wouldn't have as many UCAS points as other students who take four. Would this effect my applications?

Also, is there any other way I could boost my UCAS points, maybe even during the summer?
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Cambridge don't care about UCAS points, it's just about the grades you achieve.
They don't require a fourth AS, however if you're really worried you can always ask your referee if they'll mention that it's typically the sixth form's policy that students normally only take 3 AS levels rather than 4.

I think it'll only be UCL that presents an issue outside of Cambridge, although there may be a few other places with a 4 AS requirement.
chelsomer
Rep:
?
Do you know any ways to boost UCAS points? and if I managed to do that would other universities consider me if the point's didn't come from another AS level?
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by chelsomer)
Do you know any ways to boost UCAS points? and if I managed to do that would other universities consider me if the point's didn't come from another AS level?
Cambridge won't care for any other points outside academic qualifications. That's not how they do things. For other universities, those which give offers in point form, they will usually only count things such as grade 8 music qualifications and the like if they are directly relevant to the course you are applying for. There aren't many universities who are keen on the 'pick & mix' way of collecting Ucas points.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not entirely sure what grades I'm expecting to get but my college mainly offers students 3 A levels, with the rare occasion of some taking a fourth.

I've only taken 3 and I was wondering whether that's still good enough to get into Cambridge or other universities with high expectations.

If I was to exceed my expectation this year at AS and get good grades I would have considered Cambridge although I've just realised I wouldn't have as many UCAS points as other students who take four. Would this effect my applications?

Also, is there any other way I could boost my UCAS points, maybe even during the summer?
You can ask the Peterhouse admissions team directly here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3315701

The Christ's admissions tutor has answered similar questions several times. In each case he has said that three A-levels is fine - they want quality not quantity.

As for other unis, I have only ever seen UCL and Warwick want a fourth AS, though I could be wrong in this and the situation could change.

As CLR says, any good university would be decidedly unmoved by you getting a few cheap points over the summer.
chelsomer
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
You can ask the Peterhouse admissions team directly here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3315701

The Christ's admissions tutor has answered similar questions several times. In each case he has said that three A-levels is fine - they want quality not quantity.

As for other unis, I have only ever seen UCL and Warwick want a fourth AS, though I could be wrong in this and the situation could change.

As CLR says, any good university would be decidedly unmoved by you getting a few cheap points over the summer.
Thank you I've had a look but I'm pretty sure Peterhouse doesn't offer the course I'm looking at. I'm interested in Psychology and Behavioural Science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you I've had a look but I'm pretty sure Peterhouse doesn't offer the course I'm looking at. I'm interested in Psychology and Behavioural Science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Then ask in principle for now and put the same question to the Christ's AT when he starts his next thread in July.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
You definitely do not need more than 3 A-levels for Camb. But you do need to be demonstrably on target for A*AA/A*A*A (arts/sciences) usually by virtue of having high (85+) UMS in your best 3 current ASs.

Edit to add: PBS info from 2014 Open Day - includes typical entry requirement of A*AA
http://www.pbs.tripos.cam.ac.uk/Documents/openday
User1937829
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm currently studying AS Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics with my sights set on Cambridge Economics. Would dropping physics for three full A Levels in Maths, F Maths and Economics be suficient for cambridge. Cambridge make it unclear whether this would be sufficient.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (281)
60.82%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.76%