Importing car from EU for one year

Watch
Qurix
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello! I am currently studying and doing a placement year soon. I am planning to bring my car from Latvia (EU) and keep it here for a year. Generally, you can't drive in the UK more than 6 months, but if you are a student or are coming for a temporary job, you can stay longer. Does anyone know what kind of documents/form do I need to fill in? Or can I just drive in and out of the country every 5 months or so? Thank you!
domonict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You are limited to six months in one 12 month period so doing what you suggest will not work.

The only way is to have the vehicle registered here, or bring it over for six months then return home and exchange it for another car, or buy a car here .

If you live here for 185 days then you are deemed to be living here.
monkeyman1990
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Get a ferry ticket six months down the line, and don't get any tickets or be pulled over in the first half of the year, and you can claim you brought it over halfway through the year. Not the most legal way to do it, but it can't be argued with if your car isn't on record in the first half of the year.
domonict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Apart from the need to have insurance.
Which is on the police database

I suppose that you could suggest that he drives with no insurance?
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Qurix)
Hello! I am currently studying and doing a placement year soon. I am planning to bring my car from Latvia (EU) and keep it here for a year. Generally, you can't drive in the UK more than 6 months, but if you are a student or are coming for a temporary job, you can stay longer. Does anyone know what kind of documents/form do I need to fill in? Or can I just drive in and out of the country every 5 months or so? Thank you!
Rules are tight... as said, also do take into account insurance as well UK costs such as tax, parking, petrol and MOT
XMaramena
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Qurix)

- You can drive in the United Kingdom with your current license for 3 years after becoming a UK resident.
- If you've been resident for 6 months or more, you can exchange your license for a GB license using the D1 form, plus a £43 fee.
- Remember it'll be disadvantageous safety-wise since we drive on the left side of the road.
- Whether you bring a car over, or buy one here, make sure you Tax, Insure and MOT your car. If you're in London, you may also wish to take the Congestion Charge into account.

For more info that's up to date on the facts, visit www.gov.uk.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (85)
26.23%
England (109)
33.64%
Belgium (27)
8.33%
Germany (38)
11.73%
Spain (6)
1.85%