Why are homophobes so vitriolic? Watch

MatthewParis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I watched this YouTube video online, which is from an Australian gay marriage campaign. I agree with the message, but as a piece of advertising/communication it's really good (probably the best pro-marriage equality comms I've ever seen).

How any ordinary person could not say, "Aww bless. Of course they should marry" and instead spitting venom and having a stroke over two men in love, is beyond me

Quoting "mohammed361", who said

"This is ****n disgusting. Where are all the real people with moral and common sense to stand up against this rotten idea of open homosexuality and the push for gay marriage. You ugly minded animals just keep to your selves and stop trying to push for things that are only for a man and a woman. The people who support this kind of behavior are worse than the open homosexuals."
Disgusting? Really? Anyone with an ordinary sense of aesthetics, or compassion, basically any non-sociopath, would think it's probably the opposite. Hating on this is like hating a puppy. I just don't get it.

So... why are homophobes so vitriolic? Why can't they just oppose homosexuality (moronic as it is to oppose something which propagates because straight people keep having gay children) in a polite, measured manner? Why is it always breathless, hysterical, crude (often with over the top references to gay sex) etc? (Of course the obvious answer is that homophobes behave in a breathless, hysterical, crude manner because they are breathless, hysterical, crude people... but interested to hear others' thoughts on this)
PonderStibbons
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Because they don't understand homosexuality.
To quote Batman Begins "You always fear, what you don't understand..."
To quote Yoda (risky move in certain circles, but here goes...)
"fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate"

So, they are angry about it because the feel that it threatens them and this fear stems from a lack of understanding.
MatthewParis
Rep:
?
Another example from YouTube from "Greg Legakis"

You think you can shut my righteous indignation up by calling me a bigot or a homophobe? You're wrong. Because if thinking that God wouldn't approve of a man inserting his penis into another man's anus makes me a bigot, then I wear that label as a badge of honor.
Why do they always end up talking about the in-depth mechanics of anal sex? I can almost imagine him masturbating while he's typing that.
Zorgotron
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You are drawing hasty generalizations. A conservative can just as easily point to rabid social justice warriors and ask the exact same question.
MatthewParis
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zorgotron)
You are drawing hasty generalizations. A conservative can just as easily point to rabid social justice warriors and ask the exact same question.
That's a rather transparent tu quoque, or whataboutery.

Are you of the opinion that it's impermissible to talk about Saudi Arabia's human rights record merely because other countries also have bad human rights records?

Does bad behaviour by certain leftists justify vitriol by homophobes?
dyslexicvegie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think the most dangerous xenophobes are the polite and calm ones, because they can convince people that there hatred is justified and there position almost reasonable.

The Cornish B 'n' B case springs to mind.
Zorgotron
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MatthewParis)
That's a rather transparent tu quoque, or whataboutery.

Are you of the opinion that it's impermissible to talk about Saudi Arabia's human rights record merely because other countries also have bad human rights records?

Does bad behaviour by certain leftists justify vitriol by homophobes?
No, of course not. I'm just saying that you seem to selectively choose more vulgar and vitriolic gay marriage critics and then imply that all gay marriage critics are like that when clearly this isn't the case. It's every bit as absurd for a conservative to point their fingers at the likes of FEMEN, Chanty Binx and other feminazis and from that say ''Well look, why are all feminists man-hating gender obsessed bigots?''

Secondly, it's practically impossible to criticise or be against gay marriage in today's society without serious social and political ramifications. It doesn't matter how polite you are, because a considerable chuck of pro gay-marriage advocates are very dogmatic and self-righteous - if you do not support gay marriage and the normalization of homosexuality in society, then you're a bigot.

Homophobia has become a blanket term for anyone who isn't 100% behind gay marriage. In the current cultural climate, merely not supporting gay marriage is enough to get you labeled a homophobe. As such, more articulate critics know that they're just wasting their time and shut up. Take a look at any Question Time segment about gay marriage - no matter how politely or civilly someone criticised gay marriage, they were booed to oblivion.

Nobody is denying that conservatives have many in their ranks, who truly operate on disgust and hate. But it is also equally undeniable, that the majority of the pro gay-marriage segment is not interested in any dialogue or discussion on the matter.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm not referring to those who are just skeptical of gay marriage here, but the idiots who spout hate speech about it. Like the ones who oppose homosexuality itself, claim it is "unnatural" and/or a "perversion", the ones who don't like gay couples adopting children, etc. Things like the comment quoted in the OP.

Why are they so vitriolic? Because they're stupid and are for the most part terrible human beings. Religion often plays a part too.

It's clear that most of them don't understand homosexuality, judging by the number of people who claim it's unnatural, that it's a lifestyle, that it's a choice, that gay adoption is harmful to children, that they're "pushing their views on us" (but religious groups opposing marriage equality and wanting others to live under their rules is somehow fine), etc.
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
'cos they're gay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (17)
14.29%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (8)
6.72%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (24)
20.17%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (19)
15.97%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (15)
12.61%
How can I be the best version of myself? (36)
30.25%

Watched Threads