The Student Room Group

How will I cope with science at a level if I haven't taken triple science?

I'm currently taking the double science at GCSE and we're almost a year into the course, but in the last few months I have started to really enjoy science and would love to take it at a level. I regret not taking the triple science as I feel it would have prepared me better for a level sciences. So I was wandering, how much of a disadvantage will not taking triple science put me at? Will I still be able to cope with the work?

Original post by Amz77
I'm currently taking the double science at GCSE and we're almost a year into the course, but in the last few months I have started to really enjoy science and would love to take it at a level. I regret not taking the triple science as I feel it would have prepared me better for a level sciences. So I was wandering, how much of a disadvantage will not taking triple science put me at? Will I still be able to cope with the work?

Triple Science is stressful with 9 exams, Further Additional Science AQA is really interesting and besides some things that come up in F.A.Science is quite similar to Additional Science. :smile:
Hi there.

When I had my interview with a sixth form, they told me that not having Triple Science means that you will need to do some supplementary studies alongside your A-Level sciences as apparently Triple sets the basis of A-Level. Not sure if there is an ounce of truth to what they said so take it with a pinch of salt.

At the end of the day Additional Science is the most important out of Core and Triple so just focus in Additional as that is the grade your further education institutions will look at when applying for science.
Original post by Amz77

No it doesn't put you at a major disadvantage. Put the work in, especially at the beginning and you should be fine.
YOU WILL NOT SURVIVE. Jk Jk. Just prolly need to put a bit of effort at the beginning of the course to catch up.
Just to add:

Most people would have forgotten all the science GCSE course anyway after the Summer so it shouldn't make too much difference :biggrin:
Original post by Alan-K
Just to add:

Most people would have forgotten all the science GCSE course anyway after the Summer so it shouldn't make too much difference :biggrin:

This is true. Very true!
Original post by Amz77

I don't think it would make a major difference, just might be slightly easier for people who have done triple as some of the content at the beginning of AS is similar or just more in depth stuff from further additional GCSE. You start fresh anyway though and like people already said, you forget most GCSE stuff by the start of sixth form anyway. Just a matter of doing enough independent work, which is required regardless. Don't know if your school does Applied science A level though, but maybe look into it if you're not sure about committing to a whole science? :smile:
The same thing has happened to me :smile: I picked double and now want to do science a levels. Don't listen to what other say, if you're passionate about it you can do as well as you like. You will cope!
I didn't do triple and am doing fine with chem :smile:
Reply 10
I did triple science GCSE and now I do biology and chemistry A-Level and in terms of the content, for biology theres barely any overlap, and in chemistry there is quite a bit but other people in my set didnt do triple and they're coping fine.

The ony thing that may make a difference is you have to learn more content so this helps for alevel in general. But other than that you're not at a big disadvantage at all, and based on my results i wouldve got better GCSEs overall by doing double science rather than triple, so you might even have an advantage:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest