The Student Room Group

What would you like to know about Freshers Week?

We'll soon be looking to write some great content for people starting University in September.

What would you like to have seen or known about when you started uni? Are you going to be starting uni in September - what do you want to know about?

Let us know here please!

Thanks,

RF & Unis Mods

So we can keep tally of things brought up:
- What is freshers week?
- How to make friends if you're a quiet person...
- How to have a non-alcoholic freshers...
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1. Is Freshers Week actually that exciting?
2. Do the majority of people get laid in freshers? :colonhash:
3. Is freshers a good place for quiet people to make friends?
Original post by Kangie
1. Is Freshers Week actually that exciting?
2. Do the majority of people get laid in freshers? :colonhash:
3. Is freshers a good place for quiet people to make friends?

Hi there,

Thanks for your quick response!

I think we'll keep #2 off the list to address - but realistically a lot don't get laid and it certainly shouldn't be a 'success' marker for freshers week. :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Roving Fish
Hi there,

Thanks for your quick response!

I think we'll keep #2 off the list to address - but realistically a lot don't get laid and it certainly shouldn't be a 'success' marker for freshers week. :biggrin:

Haha I figured :u: Was just wondering because I didn't want to get caught up in that mess :tongue: I'd rather stick to the other parts :lol:
What about freshers if you're a non drinker?? Can you still go out and have fun with those drinking whilst not drinking yourself or what's a good way to meet friends just as well as those who drink? Basically just what's the crack with non drinkers and freshers week.
Reply 5
Am I likely to get any sleep?
Does it last 5 or 7 days?
What activities should I skip and which ones should I make sure I don't miss?

Edit - Some more:
How much money will I need and how can I save money during freshers week?
Things to do on your first day arriving at accommodation
(edited 8 years ago)
As a postgrad, how will I make the best use out of freshers?

I ask this because there are probably a lot of thoughts on this :smile:
1. Where do I go on the very first day? For information, I'll be starting at Glyndwr University in Wrexham
2. What sort of activities take place during freshers week? e.g. is it all about just clubbing, or is there other fun things too like ice breakers in class, karaoke, meals out etc
3. Strategies I can use to make new friends easily (I have aspergers syndrome which is a form of high functioning autism)
4. Roughly how much money will I need?
5. Will there be anyone I can go to if noise and crowds get too much?
6. Are people generally quite accepting of those who may be classed as being a bit different, shy, geeky etc or will new students generally be quite judgemental?
(edited 8 years ago)
@Nat_Griffiths

Thanks for those suggestions!

It's worth noting that the specifics for your university (Glyndwr) will be posted to you by your new SU. :smile:
@Nat_Griffiths

Thanks for those suggestions!

It's worth noting that the specifics for your university (Glyndwr) will be posted to you by your new SU. :smile:

It's not a problem :smile: and thank you.
Original post by Nat_Griffiths
1. Where do I go on the very first day? For information, I'll be starting at Glyndwr University in Wrexham
2. What sort of activities take place during freshers week? e.g. is it all about just clubbing, or is there other fun things too like ice breakers in class, karaoke, meals out etc
3. Strategies I can use to make new friends easily (I have aspergers syndrome which is a form of high functioning autism)
6. Are people generally quite accepting of those who may be classed as being a bit different, shy, geeky etc or will new students generally be quite judgemental?

Can answer all those if you like? :smile:
Original post by Binary Freak
Can answer all those if you like? :smile:

Yes please, that would be great :smile:
Nat_Griffiths
X

Usually the first day is enrollment which you'll be told exactly where you need to go. Then throughout the week and on enrollment day entails a wide variety of activities, from quizzes (paired) to iPhone/Apple programming. The final day, a Thursday, is when you usually meet students on a wide variety of students from all courses, they have a student fair. Enjoy the free slice of pizza. Get in there early otherwise you'll be crammed.

See first answer :smile:

Likewise, I have ASD. Anyway, usually people just approach you. Best bet is standing by the William Aston Hall entrance. Believe me.. At GU it comes naturally. I originally had plans on keeping myself to myself but that didn't go as planned. Just look approachable and friendly. Aside from that just attend all the freshers activities and don't take anything with a pinch of salt. There can be quite a bit of banter.

For freshers?
Usually nothing, though it might be good to bring some in case you go on a tangent.

The Centenary, I usually spend my time studying there, and will be for the upcoming two years, it's a quiet environment. If it ever gets loud then perhaps put some music on. But never seen the Centenary to be too loud. In lectures never sit behind a student on Games Development, they can be loud and inconsiderate at times.

This question made me giggle. Typically there's a wide variety, though it can be quite cliquey, but yea, people are accepting of it, regardless. Best advice though, don't come across as too smart, and NEVER lend people your work. Even if it is 'Managing Data'. I'm warning you - The lecturer for that can smell even the smallest bit of plagiarism.

Sums up what this year was like anyway. Also hope this helps and if you have any other questions feel free to quote me.
Reply 13
hey guys,

I just have a general question- after paying off your accommodation and maintenance fees, how much money will you need for the first year of other things? Will it be more than 2k?

cheers :smile:)
Original post by Binary Freak
Usually the first day is enrollment which you'll be told exactly where you need to go. Then throughout the week and on enrollment day entails a wide variety of activities, from quizzes (paired) to iPhone/Apple programming. The final day, a Thursday, is when you usually meet students on a wide variety of students from all courses, they have a student fair. Enjoy the free slice of pizza. Get in there early otherwise you'll be crammed.

See first answer :smile:

Likewise, I have ASD. Anyway, usually people just approach you. Best bet is standing by the William Aston Hall entrance. Believe me.. At GU it comes naturally. I originally had plans on keeping myself to myself but that didn't go as planned. Just look approachable and friendly. Aside from that just attend all the freshers activities and don't take anything with a pinch of salt. There can be quite a bit of banter.

For freshers?
Usually nothing, though it might be good to bring some in case you go on a tangent.

The Centenary, I usually spend my time studying there, and will be for the upcoming two years, it's a quiet environment. If it ever gets loud then perhaps put some music on. But never seen the Centenary to be too loud. In lectures never sit behind a student on Games Development, they can be loud and inconsiderate at times.

This question made me giggle. Typically there's a wide variety, though it can be quite cliquey, but yea, people are accepting of it, regardless. Best advice though, don't come across as too smart, and NEVER lend people your work. Even if it is 'Managing Data'. I'm warning you - The lecturer for that can smell even the smallest bit of plagiarism.

Sums up what this year was like anyway. Also hope this helps and if you have any other questions feel free to quote me.

Thankyou so much. All of this information has been a great help and has helped to reassure me quite a bit. I'm quite excited about starting just thinking about it :biggrin: Should be a good year hopefully. I've even been looking at the specifications for some of the units online and it sounds really fun. I'm really looking forward to being able to learn new stuff I'm interested in and not being constantly nagged that a deadline is coming up. In college at the moment, we'll all know an assignment is due that day, but our tutors will still say "You've got an assignment due in for me today haven't you?" It really annoys me. I was speaking to head of Disability Team on Friday though about my DSA and she said they're not like that at uni. :smile:
Original post by Nat_Griffiths
Thankyou so much. All of this information has been a great help and has helped to reassure me quite a bit. I'm quite excited about starting just thinking about it :biggrin: Should be a good year hopefully. I've even been looking at the specifications for some of the units online and it sounds really fun. I'm really looking forward to being able to learn new stuff I'm interested in and not being constantly nagged that a deadline is coming up. In college at the moment, we'll all know an assignment is due that day, but our tutors will still say "You've got an assignment due in for me today haven't you?" It really annoys me. I was speaking to head of Disability Team on Friday though about my DSA and she said they're not like that at uni. :smile:

No problem and some of the modules are fun, though I didn't engage with learning as much as I should've. Not been nagged about assignments in decades, they just say there's an assignment coming up, and go through the assignment spec in class then let you get on with it. Though it leads to disorganized people (myself) doing work at the last minute :tongue:
Original post by tilly_a
hey guys,

I just have a general question- after paying off your accommodation and maintenance fees, how much money will you need for the first year of other things? Will it be more than 2k?

My maintenance loan from Student Finance covers my accommodation and nothing else. I've predicted that I'll spend about £120 a week on living costs (food, transport, social life, course materials, phone bill etc.). This is for London as well so not sure whether or not I've got it right!
Original post by tilly_a
hey guys,

It depends where youre studying. I'm in London and for the first two terms my loan chunk doesn't even cover my accommodation.
I spend most of my money on transport as I have to travel around for sport

Posted from TSR Mobile
We'll soon be looking to write some great content for people starting University in September.

What would you like to have seen or known about when you started uni? Are you going to be starting uni in September - what do you want to know about?

Let us know here please!

Thanks,

RF & Unis Mods

So we can keep tally of things brought up:
- What is freshers week?
- How to make friends if you're a quiet person...
- How to have a non-alcoholic freshers...

just one question...am a quite person: how do I make friends without the fear of being really shy
thanks
Anyone give me a list of stuff I need to do before I go to uni, like open a bank account?

Latest

Trending

Trending