The Student Room Group

A level anthropology being scrapped ;(

Such a shame such a powerful A level is being scrapped. Anthropology is such a broad and interesting subject that we humans have been studying for thousands of years. It has helped eliminate racism and teach us things about the human race that we would never have found out without it. I personally am extremely interested in understanding why certain people have certain characteristics, migration of peoples etc... I was thinking of taking this A level outside of my future sixth form as no sixth forms in my area offer the subject. Any tips? Such a shame they are scrapping it after 2018 :frown: So after my gcses I need to come to the conclusion of whether I should do it or not.

Has anybody here done the A level? I've heard around only 300 people do it per year, which is why its being scrapped ;((((((((((((
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Such a shame such a powerful A level is being scrapped. Anthropology is such a broad and interesting subject that we humans have been studying for thousands of years. It has helped eliminate racism and teach us things about the human race that we would never have found out without it. I personally am extremely interested in understanding why certain people have certain characteristics, migration of peoples etc... I was thinking of taking this A level outside of my future sixth form as no sixth forms in my area offer the subject. Any tips? Such a shame they are scrapping it after 2018 :frown: So after my gcses I need to come to the conclusion of whether I should do it or not.

Has anybody here done the A level? I've heard around only 300 people do it per year, which is why its being scrapped ;((((((((((((

Isn't it quite similar to sociology? I haven't done either but judging by the definition of both studies...I would think many people interested in the study of culture and society would pick sociology so there's little demand for athropology? Not sure though, but if you're interested, definitely look into sociology if that's the kind of thing you're into :smile:
Original post by carrott98
Isn't it quite similar to sociology? I haven't done either but judging by the definition of both studies...I would think many people interested in the study of culture and society would pick sociology so there's little demand for athropology? Not sure though, but if you're interested, definitely look into sociology if that's the kind of thing you're into :smile:

Although they can cross-link together I found this online to show the main differences between the two:
In sociology, you pick a social construct, such as family, and study that based on societies concept of what makes up a family (like the western concept of nuclear family)

In anthropology, you pick a cultural concept, such as family, and allow those within the culture to determine what makes up a family (this is usually called kinship)

Even Prince Charles studied anthropology.
Although they can cross-link together I found this online to show the main differences between the two:
In sociology, you pick a social construct, such as family, and study that based on societies concept of what makes up a family (like the western concept of nuclear family)

In anthropology, you pick a cultural concept, such as family, and allow those within the culture to determine what makes up a family (this is usually called kinship)

Even Prince Charles studied anthropology.

Maybe I'm just thick but I'm not sure I understand the difference between those explanations :redface:
Original post by carrott98
Maybe I'm just thick but I'm not sure I understand the difference between those explanations :redface:

You can see the differences in the a level papers :wink:
You can see the differences in the a level papers :wink:

Ah ok I think I understand, although a lot of it is gobbledygook to me I must admit :redface: I guess it's hard to keep anthropology A level going as they will be making minimal, if any, profit from it as so few school offer it and so few students have even heard of it, so it's available to so few people as it is, the exams board consider it a minor sacrifice. What school year are you in now though? Because if you're interested in it and you're going to be in Year 12 before 2018, it shouldn't be a problem, you've got plenty of time to decide :smile:
Currently doing AS in Anthropology and its one of my favourite subjects. Really is a shame its being scrapped. The things you learn are fascinating and the subject has a bit of each subject if you know what i mean. Eg. Evolution (Science), a bit of archaeology, geography, history etc.
But ever since the #SaveAnthropology thing has been going on, more students are wanting to pick it. Really is a shame :frown:
Original post by Hypnotism
Currently doing AS in Anthropology and its one of my favourite subjects. Really is a shame its being scrapped. The things you learn are fascinating and the subject has a bit of each subject if you know what i mean. Eg. Evolution (Science), a bit of archaeology, geography, history etc.
But ever since the #SaveAnthropology thing has been going on, more students are wanting to pick it. Really is a shame :frown:

Hi, can I ask what other subjects you are doing and what you are predicted in as antropology? I'm currently in year 11, and if I did take it next year (the final year it would be offered as a full 2 year course) I would have to self- teach myself. Would you reccommend this? Is there alot to cover and if you do sociology do you see any similarities/ differences between the two?
Hey Truth,

It's great to hear that you're taking interest upon this subject. Currently I'm only doing 3 A levels being Anthro, Government and Politics and Business Studies, as I had dropped a subject near the beginning of the year. Therefore I cannot tell you the similarities and differences between sociology and anthro.

However, deciding upon taking the subject depends on personal interest in your position, as you'll be sitting exams in Year 13. If you're into reading (as theres alot of it) and conducting your own research into case studies and anthropologists for your answers (for evidence and support for your answer), I'd say go for it :biggrin:

And yes there is quite alot to cover due to content, however it should not be hard to cling onto it and do within 2 years.

Hope this helped. :smile:
Hey,

I'm in Year 13 at the moment and are doing 4 A2's plus Anthropology as and enrichment. We do the AS course over the two year as we only have 3 hours contact time every fortnight so there's alot of expection to do self study outside of the lessons.
I do Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics as my other subjects so I can't comment on the similarities between Soiciolgy (sorry cant spell :P!) but I really enjoy the subject! I did loads of self study at home because I enjoyed researching about different cultures and anthropologists - it's amazing how much you find on the internet and in books! Its really interesting to find out about other cultures and how they live - did you know there are fattening houses in Nigeria as women are seen more beautiful if they have fuller figures?
I don't know how much extra work the A2 course would be as I've only done the AS, but check out some papers on the AQA website as you'll probably find that you could probably even think of examples to use in the questions from Western culture - and they are just as valid examples as any other culture.

If you have keen interest in the subject, a good memory and basic idea on how to structure an essay, I think you'll be fine! :smile:

Hope that helps :smile:
What are the different topics you go through in A2? Just finished AS, so I'll be starting it in a few months. Mind giving a few examples of the topics? Want to go into A2 with some knowledge. :smile:
Unfortunately I only did AS Anthropology across the two years so I don't know what were in the A2 course :frown:
How did you find the exam today? :smile:
Original post by BeckyB1997
Unfortunately I only did AS Anthropology across the two years so I don't know what were in the A2 course :frown:
How did you find the exam today? :smile:

It was great! Hoping for an A overall, if not, I'll also be happy with a B.

Quick Reply

Latest