The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Hertford College (Oxford) Students and Applicants

Woo. Hertford. I think I'm the only Hertfordian who actually comes on here anymore, so I guess I'll set it up. Might add to it later with any interesting tit-bits about Hertford etc.

For now, here's the official website:

http://www.hertford.ox.ac.uk/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Woo! Hertford!

Any other applicants on here? I've got a deferred offer for Engineering
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Huzzah for Hertford. TSR is quite quiet for Hertfordians, actually. Good work on being the first to reply.
Reply 3
Huzzah, huzzah, Hertford. Yeah, not many TSRers here. Hey, who are you in college, Worzo? I'm Qu. I'm in the JCR a lot.
Is anyone from this college on here any more?
I'm thinking of applying to Hertford this year for a 2008 entry...and I was wondering if some had pictures of what the main halls looked like?
And perhaps if I could some other questions by PM maybe!

Thanks a lot
x
Reply 5
2008 entry? Crikey, I'll be gone by then. But yeah, there's photos of college accommodation on the JCR housing database:

http://www.hertford.ox.ac.uk/alt/house/index.html
Ah thanks a lot!!
What course are you doing?
And do we get accommodation from the college for the full 3 years of our course? Well definitely three in my case...
Glad I've found someone! ... I've been looking for a Hertfordian for ages!
Obviously not been looking hard enough! :p:
Reply 7
Sorry, I've been away for the past few days. I'm a physicist. And yes, college accommodation is guaranteed for all of your undergraduate degree, whether that's 3 (as with many degrees), 4 (as with many science/language degrees) or 5 (as with oriental studies, I believe) years.

I'll check this a bit more often if you want to know any more.
Wow, a physicist...I was thinking of going into Physics at one point. It was a choice between Economics, Physics or Maths. I narrowed it down to Economics and Physics, and over the past few months I've been decidedly adamant to study Economics and Management.

What's physics like? A rather stupid and broad question to be honest...but what's the course like? For me, there's a lot of Physics which I don't mind, but I have no passion for, whereas things like Particle Physics is something I really like :smile:

Is Hertford quite musical? In terms of orchestras and stuff??

Thanks again...just tell me if you ever get tired of loads of questions!
Reply 9
I was originally considering Economics in some form, but then realised that it's really boring :smile: (Sorry!) It lets you in on how the universe really works. First year course is foundation stuff like mechanics, maths, electromagnetism etc. Second year is fun with quantum mechanics and thermodynamics - that's when you start to realise the power of physics. Third year a lot of the 2nd year material starts to get applied in the real world. Then 4th year is hardcore preparation for research, really.

Hertford is very musical indeed, with a college choir and two orchestras (one non-auditioning, one Bruckner). It's all a bit cliquey, but generally good fun.
No, no, everyone is entitled to their opinion...personally I find electromagnetism quite boring, don't mind the mechanics in year one (but I have a bias towards it because I love maths!) What I would look forward to would be quantum mechancics...I love the very little that I understand now with my punitive physics knowledge! :p:

Oooh, non-auditioning orchestra...I'm still assuming that the standards would be Grade 8+? Cliquey...in what way?

Hmmm, some random questions...what's Hertford generally known for among the Oxford colleges? Is it more sports or music based....hmmm....??

Thats all I cant hink of at the moment...but I'm sure as time goes on I can think of more questions... :smile:
Reply 11
Yeah, you're right, EM is pretty boring, but it's just one of those necessary things. You need it for atomic physics though.

Non-auditioning is just that - there is no minimum standard. However, people rarely play if they're crap, and get beef off all the other musicians. Truth is that lots of people are grade 8+, yes.

Hertford is generally known for being a friendly, relaxed college. We're not that great at sport, but have lots of sports teams - it's a bit of a laugh really. We're also famed for our underground bar serving an horrific concoction called a "pango".
Is it just a Hertford orchestra or is it a joint one? And do they have frequent concerts or recitals or any sort of performances?

Hmmm, not a sporty college but lots of teams!! I see the logic in that :p:

Pango...right...I'll be steering clear of that if I ever get in.

Do you have to ring up before you come and visit the college? Or do they get quite annoyed if people just randomly turn up? I'm going to an Oxford open day in general in March and we're specifically going to St Anne's (I had not choice in the college selection)...but I would really like to see Hertford in real life rather than the pictures I've seen. Are there special open days for each college?
Reply 13
Hertford orchestra is mostly Hertford members at the moment I believe, possibly some people from other colleges too. There's usually a performance once a term.

You have to try a pango. It's basically 1/3 pint spirits, 2/3 pint mixer. Popular in the 1st year!

Open days are usually early July, and I'd definitely go to one if I were you. Try and go to your subject open day as well. More information in the uni prospectus, which you should have/get.

With regards to visiting the college at other times, you're quite welcome to just walk into the lodge and ask if you can look around, but if you do this you'll only be able to look around the public areas e.g. one quad. I'd advise ringing up beforehand and ask if there's anyone who could show you around. That way, you'll get to see more, and get to talk to a real live Hertford member!

If you want to apply for physics (or even if you don't, to be honest) then I would be more than happy to show you around.
Are people at Hertford generally friendly? Or is it quite a cold atmosphere for newcomers?

Also if anyone is studying PPE, what are the PPE tutors like?
Reply 15
Hertford is very friendly indeed. Our bar is one of the most sociable places in Oxford! Don't forget that when you're a fresher (newcomer), there's about 120 other new people as well, and they will be your primary peer group, all interested in getting to know each other and you.
Sounds wonderful...that Pango really does...perhaps I didn't make my sarcasm evident there :smile:

Aww, thanks for the offer. It would be really helpful if I could actually having a Hertfordian showing me around...makes such a difference. I remember when I went to Durham last year for a Business summer school and the people showing us round had now idea what they were on about... I suppose their collegiate system isn't as big as Oxford's...

The only problem is that I am really busy at the end of July due to my Gold Duke of Edinburgh's award...and wouldn't most of the students have gone back home by then?! I swear my brother has really long holidays over the summer (albeit, he goes to Warwick).
Reply 17
I said the open days are usually early July. And some undergrads often stay at the end of summer term to help with the interviews, and to work for the college as residential assistants (looking after visiting students).

So yeah no worries - if you're ever visiting Oxford, just let me know!
Reply 18
Our PPE tutors are great... they're all friendly and amazing teachers and great minds. I'm loving it!
Reply 19
Does Hertford have a gym of some sorts? and are there any australian Hertford students that anyone knows of?
I have an unconditional offer for PPE, because i did my exams in Nov (southern hemisphere). I am counting down the months till October!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending