This discussion is closed.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
OK, it's me again.

First let me say that I apologise for misunderstanding your stance on the "correct" attitude issue.

For the record I do Maths, History, Electronics and Computing.

Im my experience I would say that you are correct about maths and to some extent the same applies to physics and chemistry - in that you do actually require some ability to use the information you know. But to be honest I think that most subjects are poorly tested. For example, I know people with an A* in GCSE English Literature that never actually read the book that they were analysing!!! They simple memorised things that they picked up from their teach / internet etc....

Surely they can come up with a better way of testing our ability than these stupid, narrow, horribly unfair exams.

When I said "No single person on this planet has the right to instill a correct attitude into anyone else". I was indeed speaking as as "moral relativist" (as you term it) but the idea that the American "denazification" of Germany was wrong is in its self a total fallacy. As a "moral relativist", you could argue that the "denazification" was an act of self-defense and was therefore reasonable. I know that it is indirect and extended self-defense but self-defense all the same.
EddieB
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by a_musical_gal
Hi,

In my school, my best friend's brother got 7A*s, an A and a B GCSE last year and his best friend got 8A*s and a 1Bs.

Because I'm predited 7Bs and 2Cs, they think I'm thick and they expect my best friend (2 years younger than me) to do as well as them and she is very bright so I think she will.

I'm just wonder if anyone has felt any peer pressure to achieve better grades. I think 7Bs and 2Cs in fine (some wouldn't) but they don't.
No, no, and no again. Peer pressure is such a horrible thing, and the fact that it pervades the exam system is cruel and hurtful to many students.

If you're happy with the results you achieved, based on what you thought and what your teachers thought you could get, then you should be proud of yourself and shouldn't care less about what any so called "friends" have got. Of course, this is often not reflected in reality, and that is a real shame. It causes no end of misery to many.
EddieB
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
Just to boast, I got 9A*'s and 3A's at GCSE (no B's), 4 A's at A-Level, and am now at Oxford. I just finished my first year, and I got a first. Woo. I am the academic KING baby.
Did you know that the more a person boasts, the more likely it is that they are an insecure individual ?

Furthermore, recent studies have shown that the amount of boasting done by a person is inversely proportional to penis size.
Obviously, these were male studies only.
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
PPE= Politics Philosophy and Economics

What college are you at in Oxford? This is kind of wierd because my brother is studying the same course there- also having started this year. What a small world it is! But I don't know what you meant by saying you got a 'first'? You cannot get that result after a first year- do you mean a distinction? And you arn't supposed to know your pre-lim results yet anyway?

Sorry- I am just curious, if you are really doing that course then you may well know my brother...
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Originally posted by EddieB
No, no, and no again. Peer pressure is such a horrible thing, and the fact that it pervades the exam system is cruel and hurtful to many students.

If you're happy with the results you achieved, based on what you thought and what your teachers thought you could get, then you should be proud of yourself and shouldn't care less about what any so called "friends" have got. Of course, this is often not reflected in reality, and that is a real shame. It causes no end of misery to many.
I really don't care. I don't like the two boys in question. Personally, I think they have giant gherkins thrust up their backsides.

I only put up with them because they are my best friend's friend and brother and I have to co-operate in band and stuff.
Grapefruit Lady
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Personally, I think they have giant gherkins thrust up their backsides.
Now that WOULD be a sight to see. Not that I'd ever want to.
Tell me, do your brother and his dear friend have a peculiar gait, or any trouble walking?
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Whoa - HE NOT MY BROTHER!!!!

He is my best friend's brother!!!

Nope, neither of them have problem walking but I still I think they both have paid a visit to Gherkins R Us at some point.
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Maybe it's just me, but the boasting post seemed to be just for humours sake, after all it was incomplete and inconsistent (getting a first after first year of unknown course ).

Anyway, I think it's unfair for people to consider someone 'thick' because they don't achieve certain grades. There are two reasons, one being they failed but were able, second being they were unable. Neither warrant that type of response and can put inappropriate pressure on people whose abilities aren't equal to the best in examinations.

I think exams aren't quite as functional as elegantly described by Unregistered before. In my opinion they are merely a convenient way of classifying candidates into groups related to their real work potential and any other effect is subsequent.

Usually the classifications (grades) happen to correlate with real work performance, but they don't always. It's no surprise then that after GCSEs, we're required to complete A-levels in order to test understanding to a level more similar to that found in real work; a stage that would be unnecessary if GCSE involved more testing of understanding. The sum of the two stages of course is a comprehensive assessment of 'potential to work', but being exam based this doesn't always work especially where illness is involved.

Whoever said exams test our ability to work, rather than intelligence is right though. Society doesn't value intelligence significantly, mainly work, which is sometimes reflected in one's ability to memorise details, which is frequently tested for in exams. This simplifies life for those who have reasonable ability to learn arbitrary information (e.g. good IQ test scores) but complicates life for those who don't. All would be great though if only real work were as arbitrary as exams.

My 2 cents .
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Why do you thinkPPE is an unknown course?

I have seen the webpages and Egan1 says his brother is studying it.

I didn't know it existed until now because I'm not interested in anything to do with Politics Philosophy and Economics.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
PPE is quite a popular and well-respected course. I do agree that it sounds a bit like nonsical boasting though- oxford have prelim exams after 2 terms, but it's a straight pass/fail system so you can continue with the course- it would never be graded as a first etc.
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
I just found out my best friend brother's best friend is applying to Oxford to read history. .

Everyone gets to go to Oxford but me
Jay
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I just found out my best friend brother's best friend is applying to Oxford to read history.

Everyone gets to go to Oxford but me [

if you want to apply to oxford, theres nothing stoping you.

love Katy ***
Jay
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Tell u wat luv i rekon ur friends r geeks. Wen i did me GCSEs 3 years ago i passed 8 of 9. I gat 2d, 3e, 1f, 2g 1u. Reaaly pleazed but didnae get in 2 col so has 2 [email protected] Did em da nxt yr + gat 2d+1e. ppl @ col said stil nat met grades but gave good interview so ppl said i cud get in cos sum [email protected] cam up + ppl said i has x-ceptionel mind. so went to col n its good innit. did me as last yr gat uuue in them. Dropeed bizstdies cos its 4 bummersl;. expect 2 do real good in me a2's, deffo a's + b's cos i t woz easy only doin 3 subjs. under big presh 2 do wel coz wana get into my course at TVU+ beat me m8s. by da way, musicalgal, wats ur numba? u mite nat b going 2 ox4d but id still give u. i rekon goin 2 ox4d wud me ezzy coz da ppl at my col were ded stiff + f i cud impress em getin 2 ox4d wud b a breeze m8. l8r ppl.
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
ickle_katy - Thank you but there are many reason why I can't go to Oxford.

1. I won't get the grades needed - to read music you need AAB (A in music).
2. Money - At present I have £2000 set aside for university. It is cheaper for me to stay at home. I don't want to come out of University up to my eyeballs in debt.

Although I loved to go, I have to be realise sooner or later that I can't. I'm just a bit jealous of him.

Jay - Can you post that again in english - the queen's kind?
Onearmedbandit
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
What a crazy thread Thought I'd dig it up. For old time's sake
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
so i shall reply :p:

nope...

i got BBBCCCDG at gcse
and DDE at a-level.

does this make less intelligent than someone with A's everywhere? no. only a fool or, dare i say, an idiot! would think otherwise.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It makes you more intelligent.
Cirsium
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hmmmm well tbh i'm quite a high flier... but birds of a feather flock together so i also have some other very smart friends - and i live in eternal fear of doing badly
StupidFool
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
not really. Two of my mates got far better GCSE results than me but I don't particularly care. I still got to do the subjects I wanted to and I outclass them in social and sporting activities anyway
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (87)
27.44%
No (230)
72.56%

Watched Threads