The Student Room Group

Warwick MORSE vs CASS Business School Actuarial Science

Hi everyone,

I'm in desperate need of some advice, I'm struggling to choose between Warwick for MORSE (math, operational research, statistics, and economics) or CASS business school for Actuarial Science, or Bath for econ and maths.

I'm not a hundred percent sure about what I want to do afters, possibly become an actuary, possibly anything to do with maths, possibly IB, finance etc.

Would love any input about any aspects of the courses;
- difficulty
- how interesting
- study time needed
- social life at the different universities (I live in London but would live in accom even if CASS)
- best for future prospects
- good lecturers?
- absolutely anything
- reputation of unis/ course

A which one would you choose and why would be really helpful too.

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

You got into Warwick MORSE? Now that's crazy, well done. I don't know where to start. Firstly, I'd like to start with reputation. City has nowhere near a strong reputation as Warwick, and Bath comes after that. You have the whole argument where if you take an actuarial science degree, you'll be exempt from (x) amount of exams- but I don't see that as a reason to why you should even think about choosing Bath or City OVER Warwick- that's crazy! Firstly, once you complete a MORSE degree, those exams that the City and Bath students are exempt from, will be so easy for you- so you can just go ahead and do it as it will be far from hard. MORSE is such a hard degree- but Warwick has such a strong rep for it. I know only one person doing MORSE- she loves it because of how much tutorial time she gets, and the fact she is in love with statistics and maths, so every lecture she goes to, her mind is blown. Secondly, Warwick has such a prestigious rep compared to that of Bath and City. City is extremely overrated, extremely. It's like having the whole, do you need an accounting degree to be an accountant? Or can you be a mathematician and get the job in a much easier way. Having a MORSE degree will be a million times more impressive, and on top, you're getting it from one of the top institutions in the UK.

Warwick has extremely strong links. CASS has some, but they lie about a lot too. The City students that finish off the degree cannot compete against a Warwick maths student. They really can't. Their entry requirement is so ridiculous and embarrassing as they are trying their hardest to become a RG, but a far for good enough. They love clearing so much, so even if you get BCC, and didn't even accept their offer, you will still get into Actuarial Science. They are one of the most extremely called up unis in the UK during clearing as their grades drop so drastically. Embarrassing. With a Warwick degree, you'll become an actuary in seconds- much faster than a city student. Furthermore, if you decided after a few years you wanted to do something else, you have gold in your hand with that degree.

Warwick has strong tutorial systems, so you get a lot of help in extremely small sizes. In terms of social life, it has the largest number of proper socs. It has a great campus, only thing is, CASS is in London. But be careful when trying to compare a CASS degree to a Warwick degree, that's nearly an insult. To be quite honest, Warwick can only be compared with LSE, UCL, Imperial, Durham, Bristol, KCL and Eburgh (maybe St Ands), the rest, no way.

Well done to you for actually getting onto MORSE because, boy, that is far from easy.

If I were you, I'd firm Warwick and insure Bath. You want pride in the reputation of the degree. Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Warwick>>>Bath>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>City.

Warwick has a much bigger reputation than City, you can't compare Warwick to City dude!

MORSE?! Legend!!! With that degree, you can become anything. Plus, a maths degree from Warwick is just, wow.

I'd choose Warwick, and then insure Bath- as it is good too, and has a better rep than City.

Good luck bro!
(edited 8 years ago)
Nice lobbying :biggrin:
Warwick > Cass/Bath

coming from a cass student
Reply 5
Original post by ShafTJB
You got into Warwick MORSE? Now that's crazy, well done. I don't know where to start. Firstly, I'd like to start with reputation. City has nowhere near a strong reputation as Warwick, and Bath comes after that. You have the whole argument where if you take an actuarial science degree, you'll be exempt from (x) amount of exams- but I don't see that as a reason to why you should even think about choosing Bath or City OVER Warwick- that's crazy! Firstly, once you complete a MORSE degree, those exams that the City and Bath students are exempt from, will be so easy for you- so you can just go ahead and do it as it will be far from hard. MORSE is such a hard degree- but Warwick has such a strong rep for it. I know only one person doing MORSE- she loves it because of how much tutorial time she gets, and the fact she is in love with statistics and maths, so every lecture she goes to, her mind is blown. Secondly, Warwick has such a prestigious rep compared to that of Bath and City. City is extremely overrated, extremely. It's like having the whole, do you need an accounting degree to be an accountant? Or can you be a mathematician and get the job in a much easier way. Having a MORSE degree will be a million times more impressive, and on top, you're getting it from one of the top institutions in the UK.

Warwick has extremely strong links. CASS has some, but they lie about a lot too. The City students that finish off the degree cannot compete against a Warwick maths student. They really can't. Their entry requirement is so ridiculous and embarrassing as they are trying their hardest to become a RG, but a far for good enough. They love clearing so much, so even if you get BCC, and didn't even accept their offer, you will still get into Actuarial Science. They are one of the most extremely called up unis in the UK during clearing as their grades drop so drastically. Embarrassing. With a Warwick degree, you'll become an actuary in seconds- much faster than a city student. Furthermore, if you decided after a few years you wanted to do something else, you have gold in your hand with that degree.

Warwick has strong tutorial systems, so you get a lot of help in extremely small sizes. In terms of social life, it has the largest number of proper socs. It has a great campus, only thing is, CASS is in London. But be careful when trying to compare a CASS degree to a Warwick degree, that's nearly an insult. To be quite honest, Warwick can only be compared with LSE, UCL, Imperial, Durham, Bristol, KCL and Eburgh (maybe St Ands), the rest, no way.

Well done to you for actually getting onto MORSE because, boy, that is far from easy.

If I were you, I'd firm Warwick and insure Bath. You want pride in the reputation of the degree. Good luck!

Hi

In your opinion how would you compare Morse at Warwick and Maths and Stats at UCL ?
Original post by Mk71
Hi

In your opinion how would you compare Morse at Warwick and Maths and Stats at UCL ?

Now that's a debate! I think that, both being so strong in academic reputation, you must look at the actual course structure. Warwicks MORSE just tips the edge for some people. The maths at UCL is fantastic too, the whole selection of modules is yet again fantastic. But yeah, a MORSE degree is just extremely amazing so it'll be hard to choose. I think it's just the whole, go to COWI for Maths if you get the chance. Either way, both degrees will throw you into the deep end after you graduate and will allow you to be whatever you want, literally. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ShafTJB

Hey! Thanks so much for the response, yeah the good thing about MORSE as well is you get I think it's 6 exemptions if you take the right modules, so really leaning towards Warwick. Have you ever been to Warwick? I was a bit put off by the location to be honest, it's quite in the middle of nowhere. But the course does sound great. The whole cost of living in London is putting me off CASS too. Thanks for your advice it was very helpful! I might put CASS as my insurance, as you're right about the whole any grades thing, they offered me an unconditional XD
Reply 8
Original post by ZSK2014
Warwick>>>Bath>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>City.

Warwick has a much bigger reputation than City, you can't compare Warwick to City dude!

MORSE?! Legend!!! With that degree, you can become anything. Plus, a maths degree from Warwick is just, wow.

I'd choose Warwick, and then insure Bath- as it is good too, and has a better rep than City.

Good luck bro!

Thanks for the advice!
Reply 9
Original post by gr8wizard10
Warwick > Cass/Bath

coming from a cass student

Thanks! XD why do you say that? Is it because of the reputation? Or is it something specific about CASS?
Original post by coolio41
Thanks! XD why do you say that? Is it because of the reputation? Or is it something specific about CASS?

warwick is a target university, cass & bath are semi-targets.

im heading down the investment banking route so that's where my perspective stems. actuarial science here is quite reputed from my knowledge, i believe it's the best in the country if I'm not mistaken, although i don't study it myself.
Hey! Thanks so much for the response, yeah the good thing about MORSE as well is you get I think it's 6 exemptions if you take the right modules, so really leaning towards Warwick. Have you ever been to Warwick? I was a bit put off by the location to be honest, it's quite in the middle of nowhere. But the course does sound great. The whole cost of living in London is putting me off CASS too. Thanks for your advice it was very helpful! I might put CASS as my insurance, as you're right about the whole any grades thing, they offered me an unconditional XD

I acc like the campus, feels like an american high school lol. It looks fun and the environment looks great. I'm a Londoner so I wanted a change too. But tbh, it is quite annoying that we have to go on a trip in order to have a bit more fun lol, and it annoys me a tad that the campus is just so huge, so it takes ages to get from one place to another. No wonder everyone over there is fit. But these are first world problems I guess.

Good luck with your decision!
(edited 8 years ago)

Hi there,

I am a current year 12 student, and currently considering both Warwick for MORSE and CASS/LSE for Actuarial Science. If you don't mind me asking, what grades did your unconditional offer consist of?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by veggienator
Hi there,

I am a current year 12 student, and currently considering both Warwick for MORSE and CASS/LSE for Actuarial Science. If you don't mind me asking, what grades did your unconditional offer consist of?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there! If I may butt in ... (have a big arse so wouldn't be that hard,,,if you're under 16 then maybe you should check it out sometime)

I currently do MORSE at Warrick and its so cool! Mainly because loads of people think the degree just consists of learning morse code (to be fair, that's what I thought until 4 months into my degree)

My *conditional offer was A*AA and a 1 in step, but the weird thing was that they wouldn't accept any of my statistics modules; only mechanics...seems to show that mechanics is better.
Reply 14
Original post by ShafTJB
Now that's a debate! I think that, both being so strong in academic reputation, you must look at the actual course structure. Warwicks MORSE just tips the edge for some people. The maths at UCL is fantastic too, the whole selection of modules is yet again fantastic. But yeah, a MORSE degree is just extremely amazing so it'll be hard to choose. I think it's just the whole, go to COWI for Maths if you get the chance. Either way, both degrees will throw you into the deep end after you graduate and will allow you to be whatever you want, literally. :smile:

Thanks for the advise . Could you elaborate what kind of job offers I can expect with a math and stats degree at UCL ?
Original post by Mk71
Thanks for the advise . Could you elaborate what kind of job offers I can expect with a math and stats degree at UCL ?

To be quite honest, a maths degree, or even any degree from Oxbridge, Warwick, Imperial, LSE, Durham, Bristol, UCL, St Andrews, Eburgh and KCL, will get you into anything you want! Investment bankers will love you, statistical researchers will love you, accounting firms will definitely love you, you can join so many engineering firms and go into so many different mathematical routes in them, and from your post; it will be SO SO damn easy for you to become an actuary, your doors are open. Warwicks Maths course is just far more rigorous than that of UCL, but it doesn't mean a thing, they're the same so as listed before, you can go into literally anything. Any degree from the unis I mentioned will make employers sweat.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ShafTJB
To be quite honest, a maths degree, or even any degree from Oxbridge, Warwick, Imperial, LSE, Durham, Bristol, UCL, St Andrews, Eburgh and KCL, will get you into anything you want! Investment bankers will love you, statistical researchers will love you, accounting firms will definitely love you, you can join so many engineering firms and go into so many different mathematical routes in them, and from your post; it will be SO SO damn easy for you to become an actuary, your doors are open. Warwicks Maths course is just far more rigorous than that of UCL, but it doesn't mean a thing, they're the same so as listed before, you can go into literally anything. Any degree from the unis I mentioned will make employers sweat.

are u 12?
Original post by gr8wizard10
are u 12?

No 2.
Reply 18
Original post by ShafTJB

I think you've been paying too much attention to maths teachers. While employment prospects for a maths undergrad is good, you certainly don't just walk into these jobs (at least, certainly not investment banking). What people forget is that when it comes to graduate recruitment, how 'academic/intelligent' you are is only one factor - even in actuarial/mathematics related jobs.
Original post by Noble.
I think you've been paying too much attention to maths teachers. While employment prospects for a maths undergrad is good, you certainly don't just walk into these jobs (at least, certainly not investment banking). What people forget is that when it comes to graduate recruitment, how 'academic/intelligent' you are is only one factor - even in actuarial/mathematics related jobs.

Fair point, I have to say, I was exploiting hyperbolic language. I just wanted to get across how strong the degree is, and how if you get it from such an institution in comparison to others, you are more well off.

Quick Reply

Latest