The Student Room Group

How was the physics IAL Paper ?

It had some questions almost the same as previous papers.
you mean ial unit 1?
The last two were hard and I didn't have enough time to do them:frown:
I didn't do any past papers:colonhash:
It wasn't great but not that hard. Not feeling too confident of getting an A on this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not hard compared to previous papers. But do I need to use the trapezium rule to calculate the area under the force - extension graph?
i doubt they would make us use the trapezium rule to find the area
isnt it just work done = force x distance ??? (where extension is the distance)
Reply 5
Original post by andy3nieto
i doubt they would make us use the trapezium rule to find the area
isnt it just work done = force x distance ??? (where extension is the distance)

Im thinking the same thing. I used the simple area under triangle formula. However, i seriously doubt that it was that simple. The line was curving a little, so I think we had to count the squares....damn you edexcel!
Original post by burns0s9
Im thinking the same thing. I used the simple area under triangle formula. However, i seriously doubt that it was that simple. The line was curving a little, so I think we had to count the squares....damn you edexcel!

i doubt very much they would make us do that...i think the reason it was 3 markss was because you had to realise that you have to change your units for force to calculate the work done...but god knows :confused:
Reply 7
Original post by andy3nieto
i doubt very much they would make us do that...i think the reason it was 3 markss was because you had to realise that you have to change your units for force to calculate the work done...but god knows :confused:

Trust in thresholds brother, trust in thresholds...
Reply 8
Actually, according to me, you had to count squares.
Trapezium rule? Nah.
Because many students would not be doing maths and physics at the same time.
So they wont be aware of the trapezium rule.
What do you think will be the grade boundaries this time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by lappong99
What do you think will be the grade boundaries this time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it i will be between 53 and 56
Judging by previous past papers, you can either count the squares or draw a tangent and find the area underneath or split into smaller shapes (big triangle/square/smaller triangle). They'll have a range for the correct answer, so any correct method finding the area underneath would probably get the marks.

SI unit of Work Done is Joules. I believe the graph gave us force and extension in kilonewtons and metres, so there's no need to change anything there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending