The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Keble College (Oxford) Students and Applicants

Welcome to the Keble College Thread, wouldn't want the college to be left out so thought I would create Keble's contribution. Use this to ask questions about Keble, find out about the place if you are thinking of applying and to meet other people at Keble. Hopefully this can be used by applicants and current students alike.

Useful Links
Keble Website
Keble JCR Website
Keble College Wikipedia
Virtual Tour of Keble College
Official Oxford Access Guide to Keble

TSR Links
Current Students and Info thread
Oxford TSR Wiki
Applying to Oxbridge
Choosing a college
Oxbridge Interviews

If you wish I can also create a list of prospective Keble students (ie those with offers). Also let me know if you find any other useful links and I can put them in the first post.

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

I got an offer at Keble. It’s a big college, but I hardly ever hear anyone ever applying to it (apart from the hundreds of people at interview...) or even speaking about it. Why? Who else got accepted there? Also, how many of you choose it as your first choice and got in? This happened to me, and some people were surprised (especially my teacher, who thinks I’m a lazy bastard), but I thought going to your non-first-choice-college was pretty exceptional. How common is it exactly?

Anyway, congratulations on everyone who got offers, and commiserations to everyone who never. Finally, all the Oxford stressing and rumor-mongering can stop until next August/September!

I'm so happy it’s all over. Now I just need to catch up on all the work I’ve fallen behind on through preparing for Oxford/being ill!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
I applied to Keble for law, but got rejected. I'm assuming it's because I'm a re-sit student. Oh well :frown:.

As for your second question, the universities, including Oxbridge, reserve the right to withdraw their offer if they feel you don't deserve it anymore. Falling back on work isn't much of an excuse unfortunately, as Oxbridge admission tutors will probably think you should have dealt with it. If the class isn't in your offer, then just sit the exam. It won't matter what you get, as it's not part of your offer.
Reply 3
Hey,

I applied to do maths at Keble (first choice) and got in! Anyone else here doing maths at Keble?

Anyway I can't wait for university life to begin and i will probably see you all in september/october!
Reply 4
Hi,

I got accepted by Keble for law.

I really like the college, it had a good atmosphere and most rooms are en suite!
Hey! I too have been offered a place to read history at Keble! :biggrin: So maybe I have met you...
Reply 6
Miss_Zagropop
Hey! I too have been offered a place to read history at Keble! :biggrin: So maybe I have met you...

haha you may well have done, what dates were your interviews, and did you hang around the JCR?
Reply 7
did you get pissed with 3 lads in the bar zagropop?
I didn't get pissed in the bar with anyone! Hung out in the JCR sometimes, although probably not as much as some people, as for some reason my interview was on Friday, whereas most were on thursday, so most people couldn't leave too long at a time, so I went in to Oxford for most of the day, met up with a few people having interviews elsewhere. Spent most of Friday whinging about how badly the first interview went, (although that probably doesn't narrow it down much!)
Reply 9
Ah, Its just that me and a few other lads had a few pints in the bar with a girl from Newcastle and just thought it might have been you. I played a lot of pool and table football - you probably seen us knocking pool balls off the table through really bad shots.
Do you know who else got an offer? Not that I remember many names...
Reply 11
A girl in my classics group (who i bumped into at Keble not knowing she'd even applied to Oxford) managed to get an offer despite being asked questions from a personal statement that wasnt hers in interview. She must have been **** hot. Otherwise i cant remember any names.
Reply 12
Well done on getting an offer at Keble guys :smile:. Clearly the best college :wink:. Glad you liked your time at interview, which is quite a good job as you're stuck with the old place for at least 3 years, assuming you get the grades :p:.

JH08 --> The en-suite thing is a major plus :p:, people at other colleges are generally very jealous when it comes to that. Very few have quite so many en-suite bathrooms! (does possibly make it slightly more pricey though... but not too bad)
Reply 13
F1 fanatic
JH08 --> The en-suite thing is a major plus :p:, people at other colleges are generally very jealous when it comes to that. Very few have quite so many en-suite bathrooms! (does possibly make it slightly more pricey though... but not too bad)

I did like having it there. I went to the interviews with a friend who applied to Jesus and had to share a shower room with half her corridor. I certainly played up the novelty that was my en suite! :biggrin:
Hey, I never got en-suite! I had to share a bathroom with a boy, who neglected to flush the toilet and left his pants on the floor! (If you are reading this, I say it affectionately, you're cool really :smile: :P)
Reply 15
I got an offer from keble too!! For chemistry, and i did choose it as my first choice college! Anyone else who got in for chemistry?
xxxxxxx
Reply 16
Miss_Zagropop
Hey, I never got en-suite! I had to share a bathroom with a boy, who neglected to flush the toilet and left his pants on the floor! (If you are reading this, I say it affectionately, you're cool really :smile: :P)

You were in Hayward/ De Brayne then :p:. Usually at non-interview times it would be same sex landings in those 2 areas. The bonuses though are that you had a fridge and a sofa :cool:
Reply 17
i'm glad the keble website has been updated. it was quite difficult to navigate before. one question however, is it true that keble is a rather state school college? i know they'd vow against any bias but do YOU think there is some?
Reply 18
One of the (minor) reasons i choose to apply to the college was its ghetto friendly status, although its not formally in the FE consortium. Even if it slightly is in favour, its going to be negligable - they arent going to blatently, or even slightly, discriminate against a more able private school candidate in favour of a less able state school one.

Glad I got an offer from the place, but now all my teachers are convinced I wont make it coz I've missed so much school - its not alf worrying.

For the people already there doing history: how much work do you get in your first week there?
Reply 19
Rich_1089
i'm glad the keble website has been updated. it was quite difficult to navigate before. one question however, is it true that keble is a rather state school college? i know they'd vow against any bias but do YOU think there is some?

Hmmm... well it's true that Keble was originally set up to encourage applicants from state school backgrounds, and it's also true that it has a high proportion (relatively) of state school students but there is a big difference I think between having a high proportion of state school students and actively discriminating against private. In my experience it seems to be fair to everyone (I was state by the way) and you know, once you get here, whether you went to state or private really becomes nothing more than a trivial interest to everybody else.

My personal feelings are that there is no real bias, but then you may well say "I would say that wouldn't I?". I'm a firm believer that the colleges go for the best applicants, whether they be from private or state education. It would really be silly not to. Don't be under the impression it's all state students at Keble though, because that's just not true. There is still a high proportion of private schools and Etonians etc.

Quick Reply

Latest