Monsanto. GMO. Should UK fear?

Watch
Kahunax
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
There are quite a lot of protest against GMO products EU supplied by Monsanto. joeshever . wordpress . com/2015/05/05/monsanto-advances-from-the-eastern-front/ Do you think they are really so dangerous, or the devil is not so black as he is painted?
Chicken.M.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
GM crops save lives.
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
GM crops are the future of agriculture.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
While some of the claims about how they will revolutionise agriculture have not come true yet, there is a consensus within biology that they are safe for our health and for the environment, although they remain some unknowns.
Zòrro
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
GMO's are a way of taking over agriculture.

Control money, oil, food and you pretty much rule the world.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
GM crops are not inherently bad, but there is a serious issue with companies like Monsanto. Particularly around their seed patents.
russellsteapot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RFowler)
GM crops are not inherently bad, but there is a serious issue with companies like Monsanto. Particularly around their seed patents.
Why? What's wrong with the company that spent millions developing something patenting the product it developed?

Do you have the same thoughts about non-GM hybrid seeds being patented? This is a pretty widespread practice and has been for many years without the same criticism Monsanto et al are receiving.

A lot of 'GM' objections seem less against GM and more about capitalism. Patenting a hybrid seed is really no different to patenting a car part or computer chip.
Chicken.M.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Quantex)
While some of the claims about how they will revolutionise agriculture have not come true yet, there is a consensus within biology that they are safe for our health and for the environment, although they remain some unknowns.
They already have lol. They've stopped famine in numerous countries
King Boo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They're the future of agriculture. They've stopped famine and malnutrition in many countries already. They're slowly reducing the need for insecticides.

People are always scared of change. Especially when it involves the dreaded G word. All that playing god tosh.

If its that bad, I implore you to google 'golden rice'.
Swanbow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
National Geographic did an interesting and rather impartial article on it a while back.

When it comes to a staple crops, genetically modified strains can be a life-line.

However I believe that traditional breeding methods, and better agriculture techniques at subsistence farming level can work equally well in ensuring food security.
username1221160
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ChickenMadness)
They already have lol. They've stopped famine in numerous countries
Can you cite numerous specific countries where GMOs have been credited with stopping famines? I study the subject and I've never seen that claim made before.

Bear in mind that the vast majority of GM crops currently grown are soybeans, maize, cotton, and canola. GM Maize is grown predominately in the USA and the other three won't stop a famine. Also, our ability to develop of drought/saline resistance crops has not got as far as many would have liked.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by russellsteapot)
Why? What's wrong with the company that spent millions developing something patenting the product it developed?

Do you have the same thoughts about non-GM hybrid seeds being patented? This is a pretty widespread practice and has been for many years without the same criticism Monsanto et al are receiving.

A lot of 'GM' objections seem less against GM and more about capitalism. Patenting a hybrid seed is really no different to patenting a car part or computer chip.
The issue is that it means the seed is often too expensive for use in developing countries.

They've also sued some farmers to stop them from replanting crops they have produced from Monsanto seeds, which is just ridiculous.

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...s-seed-patents
Chicken.M.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Quantex)
Can you cite numerous specific countries where GMOs have been credited with stopping famines? I study the subject and I've never seen that claim made before.

Bear in mind that the vast majority of GM crops currently grown are soybeans, maize, cotton, and canola. GM Maize is grown predominately in the USA and the other three won't stop a famine. Also, our ability to develop of drought/saline resistance crops has not got as far as many would have liked.
lel i won't be able to find the source. Was in a documentary I watched + random articles. Basically in a lot of countries crops get ravaged by disease in developping countries because they can't afford pesticides etc., but GM crops don't. And then theres golden rice which helps prevent human disease as well because of the vitamin A which people in developing countries aren't able to get enough of.
russellsteapot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by RFowler)
The issue is that it means the seed is often too expensive for use in developing countries.

They've also sued some farmers to stop them from replanting crops they have produced from Monsanto seeds, which is just ridiculous.

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...s-seed-patents
So, they set a market price for their seed and protect their patent? Again, sounds like any other company. I know that a lot of people think the agriculture business should be one big charity but if it was, there'd be nobody paying out to develop the crops in the first place. Monsanto alone (which has for some reason become the focus of the GM thing) spent $1.5bn on R&D last year.

Seed saving has always been prohibited when the original seed is patented. This really isn't anything new, or exclusive to GM/Monsanto. By the same logic, are you saying that if I buy a DVD, then copy it for commercial gain, I should be let off? I appreciate the story presents it as some kind of David vs Goliath, but Goliath has a patent and David could always buy his seeds elsewhere if he doesn't like the terms Goliath applies to the seeds he's spent millions creating.
SotonianOne
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
GMOs should be legalised and short-term subsidised. They are clearly the future of agriculture and we are on the dawn of a new revolution, and religious & conspiracy nutjobs shouldn't be stopping the rest of society benefiting. If they want, they can continue to pay prices 2x higher than under GMOs, but leave the rest to choice.
KeriKG
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Better GMOs that pesticides — that's the best alternative.

The Nazis are done.
Chicken.M.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
People who are against gmos are just promoting world hunger

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (82)
26.54%
England (105)
33.98%
Belgium (26)
8.41%
Germany (37)
11.97%
Spain (5)
1.62%