Turn on thread page Beta

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A few people seem to have these pictures with their name and status, but I've tried to upload a few jpegs and just keep getting the following message:

There has been an error in the upload. Please ensure that the file has been correctly selected and that the upload has taken place successfully.

Can anyone help please?

Originally posted by Dam
    A few people seem to have these pictures with their name and status, but I've tried to upload a few jpegs and just keep getting the following message:

There has been an error in the upload. Please ensure that the file has been correctly selected and that the upload has taken place successfully.

Can anyone help please?
    You need to make it relatively small (in terms of width and height). Perhaps try a gif. Perhaps take the avatar of another forum member and edit using the same file specs and sizes.

ReputationRep:
    I tried saving another persons pic to upload, just to see if it would work, but got the same message!

Originally posted by Dam
    I tried saving another persons pic to upload, just to see if it would work, but got the same message!
    What file extension did you save it as? It was probably saving it as a .bmp rather than a .gif

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I tried both jpeg and gif. Its not a major issue but I thought it would be cool to have a pic, and now I'm determined. Grrr.

Originally posted by Dam
    Nope. I tried both jpeg and gif. Its not a major issue but I thought it would be cool to have a pic, and now I'm determined. Grrr.
    It's not so much the renaming that's important, it's the data inside the file itself. If you save it as that file format in your image editor, it will convert it to that format.

ReputationRep:
    i got the same error. what i did is open an ftp account with someone like lycos.co.uk and then upload the file to ur ftp server account and then direct the browser to the thing. so mine goes: http://members.lycos.co.uk/bloodhound/blahblah.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Whats ftp? I'm an idiot when it comes to computers (and some people would say in general, but thats another story!)

Originally posted by Dam
    Whats ftp? I'm an idiot when it comes to computers (and some people would say in general, but thats another story!)
    It stands for File Transfer Protocol, and it allows you to transfer a file from or to another computer.

ReputationRep:
    anyone who wants a avatar, send me the correctly sized file and i will upload it to the internet and send u the url, then u can link it that way- i tried the other way, i doesnt work

ReputationRep:
    Cool. How do I make it work for me?

ReputationRep:
    Cool thanx Ollie. Send me a private message with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

ReputationRep:
    there u go dam, set that as the location url. its in ure private inbox. anyone else wants an avatar sorted out?

ReputationRep:
    ps. ure file needs to be 50x50 pixels! and jpeg is good!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 3, 2003
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.