This discussion is closed.
Dam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
A few people seem to have these pictures with their name and status, but I've tried to upload a few jpegs and just keep getting the following message:

There has been an error in the upload. Please ensure that the file has been correctly selected and that the upload has taken place successfully.

Can anyone help please?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Originally posted by Dam
A few people seem to have these pictures with their name and status, but I've tried to upload a few jpegs and just keep getting the following message:

There has been an error in the upload. Please ensure that the file has been correctly selected and that the upload has taken place successfully.

Can anyone help please?
You need to make it relatively small (in terms of width and height). Perhaps try a gif. Perhaps take the avatar of another forum member and edit using the same file specs and sizes.
Dam
Rep:
?
I tried saving another persons pic to upload, just to see if it would work, but got the same message!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Originally posted by Dam
I tried saving another persons pic to upload, just to see if it would work, but got the same message!
What file extension did you save it as? It was probably saving it as a .bmp rather than a .gif
Dam
Rep:
?
Nope. I tried both jpeg and gif. Its not a major issue but I thought it would be cool to have a pic, and now I'm determined. Grrr.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Originally posted by Dam
Nope. I tried both jpeg and gif. Its not a major issue but I thought it would be cool to have a pic, and now I'm determined. Grrr.
It's not so much the renaming that's important, it's the data inside the file itself. If you save it as that file format in your image editor, it will convert it to that format.
bloodhound
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i got the same error. what i did is open an ftp account with someone like lycos.co.uk and then upload the file to ur ftp server account and then direct the browser to the thing. so mine goes: http://members.lycos.co.uk/bloodhound/blahblah.jpg
Dam
Rep:
?
Whats ftp? I'm an idiot when it comes to computers (and some people would say in general, but thats another story!)
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Originally posted by Dam
Whats ftp? I'm an idiot when it comes to computers (and some people would say in general, but thats another story!)
It stands for File Transfer Protocol, and it allows you to transfer a file from or to another computer.
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
anyone who wants a avatar, send me the correctly sized file and i will upload it to the internet and send u the url, then u can link it that way- i tried the other way, i doesnt work
Dam
Rep:
?
Cool. How do I make it work for me?
Dam
Rep:
?
Cool thanx Ollie. Send me a private message with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
there u go dam, set that as the location url. its in ure private inbox. anyone else wants an avatar sorted out?
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
ps. ure file needs to be 50x50 pixels! and jpeg is good!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (42)
8.27%
Confident (66)
12.99%
Indifferent (73)
14.37%
Unsure (126)
24.8%
Worried (201)
39.57%

Watched Threads