What was the Pilgrimage of Grace (Henry VIII) ?

Watch
Het_Mason
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
can anybody explain what the pilgrimage of grace is please?
Atomicmat
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well it occurred at the end of 1536 due to many people being opposed to Henry and Cromwell's dissolution of the monasteries the same year and also the Break with Rome. Robert Aske, a great lawyer, was made the leader of the rebels. Henry the VIII received their demands but didn't reply for several weeks in order to buy time, and he hoped that the 35,000 rebels would become disorganised. Henry also bought more time by asking for them to create a detailed list of demands in order to clarify certain points. On December 6th the rebels presented the "24 Articles" to the Duke of Norfolk in Doncaster. It stated that, if the rebels disbanded:
1. The King would receive the demands
2. They would be discussed by a freely elected parliament
3. All rebels would be pardoned for their participation in the rebellion
The King asked to see Aske in London and talk about the events so that they wouldn't occur again in the future. Akse saw this as Henry being a decent and well-meaning King, but it was actually in order to gain knowledge of the names of those who participated. By now the pilgrims were in disarray and Norfolk's army was ready to stirke if anything were to occur. Therefore, the rebels agreed to Henry's order that they should come to London to answer questions and by early May in 1537, 15 of the leaders had been arrested despite the promise of a pardon. All of the accused were found guilty and executed in London, but Aske was taken to Yorkshire and executed as a gesture of how much Henry was in control of the events.
Het_Mason
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Atomicmat)
Well it occurred at the end of 1536 due to many people being opposed to Henry and Cromwell's dissolution of the monasteries the same year and also the Break with Rome. Robert Aske, a great lawyer, was made the leader of the rebels. Henry the VIII received their demands but didn't reply for several weeks in order to buy time, and he hoped that the 35,000 rebels would become disorganised. Henry also bought more time by asking for them to create a detailed list of demands in order to clarify certain points. On December 6th the rebels presented the "24 Articles" to the Duke of Norfolk in Doncaster. It stated that, if the rebels disbanded:
1. The King would receive the demands
2. They would be discussed by a freely elected parliament
3. All rebels would be pardoned for their participation in the rebellion
The King asked to see Aske in London and talk about the events so that they wouldn't occur again in the future. Akse saw this as Henry being a decent and well-meaning King, but it was actually in order to gain knowledge of the names of those who participated. By now the pilgrims were in disarray and Norfolk's army was ready to stirke if anything were to occur. Therefore, the rebels agreed to Henry's order that they should come to London to answer questions and by early May in 1537, 15 of the leaders had been arrested despite the promise of a pardon. All of the accused were found guilty and executed in London, but Aske was taken to Yorkshire and executed as a gesture of how much Henry was in control of the events.
This is absolutely perfect! Thankyou so much !!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads