The Student Room Group

AQA "Impact of Stalin's Russia on the USSR" AS History Exam 20/05/15

Does anybody doing this exam have any predictions on what might come up in tomorrow's exam?

My teacher is pretty adamant that a question on the NEP/5YP will come up along with Stalin's Russia. I hope she's wrong as these are my two worst topics and I'm really hoping for Stalin's Rise to Power and The Terror.

PS: Title should say Stalin's Leadership. My bad.
(edited 8 years ago)
If I remember correctly, Rise to Power and The Terror came up last year (the latter definitely did), so it is highly unlikely that it will appear this year. Good luck for tomorrow! :smile:
Collectivisation was the source question last year and I have a feeling Stalinism might come up at the source question this year (in which case it worth touching up because you have to answer it) and I think industrialisation (FyPs/NeP) is also likely for one of the choose questions, however I think the 3rd question it could be terror/rise to power. I feel strangely confident that source q will be Stalinism (my weakest u fortunately)
Apologies for poor typing, *choice questions *for the 3rd question, and *unfortunately
What sort of 24 markers are likely to come up for Stalinism?
I think the power struggle will come up because I've found it in every single past paper. I think the source question will be on propaganda/culture/Stalinism and the other question will probably be on the FYPs+Industrialisation.
image.jpg
Attachment not found
I have these is they are any help 😊
image.jpg
Original post by Georgiexlouise
What sort of 24 markers are likely to come up for Stalinism?

In January 2010 there was:
"By 1941, Stalinism dominated all aspects of Soviet life." Explain why you agree or disagree with this view.
So I guess you include: debate as to the extent of Stalin's control (particularly in regard to the Terror), his use of propaganda, the impact of Stalinism on culture/religion, whether people spoke out against the regime or not.
You also have to define what Stalinism is; maybe use Gill's 6 features of Stalinism.
Original post by edgarcats
In January 2010 there was:
"By 1941, Stalinism dominated all aspects of Soviet life." Explain why you agree or disagree with this view.
So I guess you include: debate as to the extent of Stalin's control (particularly in regard to the Terror), his use of propaganda, the impact of Stalinism on culture/religion, whether people spoke out against the regime or not.
You also have to define what Stalinism is; maybe use Gill's 6 features of Stalinism.

Yeah. It's just such a general topic, it's hard to predict a 24 marker on it. For instance it could be something like 'How successful with Stalinist policies at preparing Russia for war?'
Yeah. It's just such a general topic, it's hard to predict a 24 marker on it. For instance it could be something like 'How successful with Stalinist policies at preparing Russia for war?'

Yeah, that question came up in June 2010. I don't particularly like the Stalinism section of the course anyway but I hope it's not a source question because then I can avoid it and pick the other question.
Original post by edgarcats
Yeah, that question came up in June 2010. I don't particularly like the Stalinism section of the course anyway but I hope it's not a source question because then I can avoid it and pick the other question.

Yeah i'm hoping the same. I'd much rather a terror, 5YPs or leadership question for the sources. Ugh i hate the fact that you don't have a choice for what is effectively half your marks in the paper!
I know you're all going to think I'm stupid, and I guess I am being really stupid but better ask than not... What do you mean by a stalinism question? Is that section 4? Cult of Stalin? Or just his impact in general? I'm going to do so badly tomorrow ahahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
how did people find the exam? I ran out of time of the last question and didn't finish it. I wrote about economic positives and negatives and political positives and negatives but ran out of time, so i couldn't write about social or write a conclusion. How badly does this impact a mark?
how did people find the exam? I ran out of time of the last question and didn't finish it. I wrote about economic positives and negatives and political positives and negatives but ran out of time, so i couldn't write about social or write a conclusion. How badly does this impact a mark?

It... did not go well for me. My mind went blank and I kept repeating myself.

I wouldn't say that's going to have a profound effect on your mark. After all, you don't need to mention every point. The examiner may not even notice provided your other points are good! As long as you consistently argued in a balanced way, a conclusion isn't imperative.
I think I did better than last year (this was a resit for me), especially as I predicted a question (see above). The source questions were good and I loved the NEP question too so hopefully I've done well.
What questions did everyone answer? I did the first 2 set, the other one looked scary tbh
Original post by TehCookie
It... did not go well for me. My mind went blank and I kept repeating myself.

I wouldn't say that's going to have a profound effect on your mark. After all, you don't need to mention every point. The examiner may not even notice provided your other points are good! As long as you consistently argued in a balanced way, a conclusion isn't imperative.

You're not the only one! I froze.
I answered the source and the last question on collectivisation and also ran out of time on the last one ; ( and couldnt write a conclusion.I have been worrying about this so much,also i repeated myself alot-worried that i wont even achieve a c grade at this rate.
The source went quite well it was just the other question
Original post by sarahmayy98
I answered the source and the last question on collectivisation and also ran out of time on the last one ; ( and couldnt write a conclusion.I have been worrying about this so much,also i repeated myself alot-worried that i wont even achieve a c grade at this rate.

This is exactly what happened to me, so you're not the only one! I was stressing about it a lot too, so i went to speak to my teacher, and he said that as long as you established an argument in the intro and maintained it through the paragraphs you did then you will still get credit. Obviously without a conclusion you can't get in the top band, but as long as you have balance you can still get around 16/17 marks.

Honestly i didn't even have time to wrap up the paragraph i was writing so mine was awful, just hoping the two source questions and my 12 marker on industrialization were good enough to compensate because i'm predicted an A!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending