mysticlove99
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm confused as to how people achieve high grades on math and why they're instantly seen as smart or nerdy. There are subjects I love but I will try my best for all of them during GCSEs and get the grades. However I just can't sit down and study for math, its just not appealing or interesting in any way. I'm predicted
B but I don't think i can do it on the exam day. How do you revise and get past a B for gcse math?
Segsation
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I find maths is easiest to revise for when you have someone else there. I would recommend asking a friend you have who is A/A* standard (or maybe a brother/sister/parent who is good at maths) to sit down and go through things with you.
Also something I found useful to remember when I took mine (I'm currently in year 11 but i took my maths at the end of year 10 and got an A*) is that there are so many topics and most of them come up. This may sound scary but I promise it's a blessing in disguise! Maths papers tend to focus on one topic for around 5 marks (obviously you do occasionally get ones worth much more or much less) So out of 175 marks in total, how important is it really if you miss 5 marks? You can normally miss around 25-30 marks and still get an A*. What i'm trying to say is if there are any topics that you really don't understand or you can't remember everything for, then don't worry. As long as you don't leave more that 5 topics max, you should still be able to get a good grade. As a side note, I would like to say that you should at least have a basic understanding of all topics, in case a low level question comes up that could be easily done.
Of course there are certain things that come up every year and you need to know: Trigonomentry (Soh Cah Toa and the cos/sin rules which are in the front of the paper anyway), Circle theorems (Just remember the patterns, e.g angle at centre is half the angle at circumference) and equation manipulation (expanding brackets, factorising, completing the square).
Basically just learnt the methods of how to do stuff rather than practicing over and over again. Past papers are not always the best method of revising! (in my opinion past papers are never the best method of revising for anything, but thats just me)
Also, when in the exam, always use the formula sheet at the front. I can't stress this enough! so many people forget and sometimes the answers are literally right there! (e.g. we did a past paper before finishing the syllabus and a topic we hadn't covered came up. turns out the formula we needed for the answer was in the front and I was the only one in my whole class of top set year 11s who actually thought to look in the front and got the answer right).
Never leave an answer blank!! You can get marks even for rearranging an equation or method marks for making an attempt.
Sorry if this has been too long but I have so many tips for GCSE maths, and most of them are things you teachers/revison guides don't want to tell you (e.g. you don't have to learn every topic inside out). I would be happy to help you more if you have any specific questions on how to learn certain topics or just exam technique.
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mysticlove99)
I'm confused as to how people achieve high grades on math and why they're instantly seen as smart or nerdy. There are subjects I love but I will try my best for all of them during GCSEs and get the grades. However I just can't sit down and study for math, its just not appealing or interesting in any way. I'm predicted
B but I don't think i can do it on the exam day. How do you revise and get past a B for gcse math?
This is because GCSE maths is just inherently dull - I say this as someone in the third year at university studying maths :P

https://www.maa.org/external_archive...artsLament.pdf
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
66.29%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise