The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering?

Im just wondering if the work is more similar to a level physics mechanics or a level maths mechanics? Also is mechanical really considered that difficult? Im much better at maths than physics, about a B/C on Physics and A/A* with Maths.
Reply 1
Original post by WilliamSlim
Im just wondering if the work is more similar to a level physics mechanics or a level maths mechanics? Also is mechanical really considered that difficult? Im much better at maths than physics, about a B/C on Physics and A/A* with Maths.

The mechanics is FAR more advanced and mathematical than a-level mechanics or a-level physics (its also what most people fail on). There is a lot of physics to be learnt in general.
Reply 2
Original post by a10
The mechanics is FAR more advanced and mathematical than a-level mechanics or a-level physics (its also what most people fail on). There is a lot of physics to be learnt in general.

Do you know what Civil Engineering is like in comparison?
Reply 3

Applied maths is really what important. The physics behind it is not really gone into depth so more emphasis is placed on problem solving and that's how it becomes like applied maths. It's far more advanced than a level physics though and well the maths for first year would basically be further (pure) maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Arieisit
Applied maths is really what important. The physics behind it is not really gone into depth so more emphasis is placed on problem solving and that's how it becomes like applied maths. It's far more advanced than a level physics though and well the maths for first year would basically be further (pure) maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh okay thats a relief! Would M3 Mechanics be comparable to what you have to study in the first year?
Do you know what Civil Engineering is like in comparison?

Civil engineering is far more advanced than A Level physics (e.g. structural design) but the math is essentially further math. As the others have said, there is a larger focus on problem solving instead of just being technicians.
Reply 6
Oh okay thats a relief! Would M3 Mechanics be comparable to what you have to study in the first year?

No, not even close.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Arieisit

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't do further maths in A-level, are there any specific topics of further maths that come up often that I should learn during the summer before I start my first year of mech eng? Also, if you don't mind can you show me some of the questions you get in the course.
Reply 8
Original post by sefulK
I don't do further maths in A-level, are there any specific topics of further maths that come up often that I should learn during the summer before I start my first year of mech eng? Also, if you don't mind can you show me some of the questions you get in the course.

Don't bother . There aren't any specific topics you need to know. Problem solving skills is what is necessary.

I've posted a question on this thread.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=55302785

From a Dynamics course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest