The Student Room Group

AQA Geography Physical Exam 19/05/2015 -Feelings?

Scroll to see replies

this PAPER WAS AWFUL
I totally messed up on the 8 mark question about the volcanic eruption immediate and long term responses, I'm not joking. No marks for me. Unless they give me a pity mark, but otherwise nope. It wasn't even hard - I just wrote it ALL WRONG.
Goodbye my hopes and dreams. Hello Mcdonalds.
I felt like this paper was harder than last years >.<
Original post by tue
That was our volcano case study:colondollar:

how did you remember how to spell that :redface: ?!?
Reply 44
Original post by *SweaterWeather*
how did you remember how to spell that :redface: ?!?

Lol! We're allowed to shorten it to E-jokul.
I was convinced that eyjafjallajokull was a shield volcano, although it looked steep, it wasn't pointy at all :frown:

Is there a chance that they will still award a mark for saying it was a shield volcano on composite plate boundary on the cross section question?

Overall I think it was an easy paper, at least A LOT easier than the 2012 one
(edited 8 years ago)
It was an okayish paper I think. I didn't actually mention it was shield, I just said flat wide base, magma chamber, layers of ash and lava as I thought it was like a cross section. For that weird reservoir i think i put long, narrow , rectangular shape
Original post by ahmedchohan77
Yes. But on google it is described as a stratovolcano but Nyiragongo in the textbook is shown as a shield but on google it is a composite/stratovolcano so I think labelling it as a shield would be OK. I hope that it is though.

You don't need to know whether it is a composite or shield. You just need to decribe it's appearence. But did we need to draw the layers??
Original post by charlotteryans
Will I get any marks if i answered EVERY question?

how did you have time for that?!?
Reply 49
Original post by threviseguy
I was convinced that eyjafjallajokull was a shield volcano, although it looked steep, it wasn't pointy at all :frown:

Is there a chance that they will still award a mark for saying it was a shield volcano on composite plate boundary on the cross section question?

Overall I think it was an easy paper, at least A LOT easier than the 2012 one

It is at a constructive plate boundary so it must be shield
Original post by rainb0wweasley
The tectonics "Label three characteristics of Eyjafjallajokull in a cross section diagram" and we all wrote that it had large flat sides due to being a shield volcano 😰 Shame though

It is a bloody sheild volcano. Let me google it .

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

This is the case study I did and I DIDNT BLOODY KNOW THAT. I didn't think about it at the time but actually :/ I googled sheild volcano the night before and it actually looks nothing like that (cone). Oh well. 3 or 4 marks only. (I think my friends saw my case study and assumed sheild too) I'm not going to tell them now.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by connie924875
how did you have time for that?!?

I don't know. I didn't answer every question in every section, but I did answer at least one question from each section.
After some research on the volcano, all my sources point toward composite. God knows what it is. Apart from that I think it was a good exam. If anything, from the figure they gave us, it would be a dome volcano. Shield would be a lot lower - shield volcanoes form low lying islands, like Hawaii.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/eyjafjallajokull-volcano-facts.html

Grade boundary predictions guys?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by studentgooner
No Eyjaflallajokul is shield for sure...

Can't be it emitted ash a few years ago shield only give out lava
I don't know. I didn't answer every question in every section, but I did answer at least one question from each section.

THE examiner will only mark the first 3 sections that you started! (for AQA that is)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AfcFob
Can't be it emitted ash a few years ago shield only give out lava

Oh good point. But it's on a constructive plate boundary....

Oh my teacher's an examiner for AQA (marking the human paper this year, she said), and she said that if a candidate answers more than three sections, they have to note it down as technically you've broken the rules. They then mark every question you answered, and take the 3 best section scores.
Reply 57
Original post by heyheyeee
Oh good point. But it's on a constructive plate boundary....

I know I did a shield first but remembered it emitted ash and changed to composite

Wait... It could have been a dome volcano!!😔
Original post by B0mber19
It is at a constructive plate boundary so it must be shield

Look on google images and Google, it's a composite
Reply 59
I put rectangular with a point sticking out towards sw

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending