The Student Room Group

Answered all the questions on AQA geography GCSE paper

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Synonym
this is whats gonna happen :/

so questions 1,2,3 will be marked completely all the other questions are ignored; so your overall mark will come from the first 3 questions that u have answered regardless of any other question... just hope that questions 1 2 and 3 went great...

no. absolutely not. an aqa geography examiner was giving us a seminar about revision skills and he said if you do do such a thing they will mark it all and choose the best 3
Original post by james1221212
no. absolutely not. an aqa geography examiner was giving us a seminar about revision skills and he said if you do do such a thing they will mark it all and choose the best 3

well i guess weve been told different things ohwell
where are you getting this idea of first 3, they mark it all and CHOOSE the best 3. an aqa examiner came to our school and gave us a seminar to our whole year about revsion skills and he said this specifically. give me proof if you think otherwise
How do.. what.. did you not even... turn up to any lessons? Read the instructions on the paper.... how...
yes i can agree our geography teacher marks for the exam board and the best answered three sections will be chosen or otherwise best two and best mark from the other section should you get highest mark for all three units in one section.
i really don't know where you lot got the first three questions being marked from - your teachers might be telling you wrong information just to get you not to waste time in the exam

anyhow, best of luck all, on other exams!
Reply 25
Original post by Anonymymouse
They take the 3 highest marks from your paper not the first 3 otherwise people who do other topics would FAIL!

No they dont. They do the first 2 from A and then the first 1 from B
Original post by marldor
No they dont. They do the first 2 from A and then the first 1 from B

got any evidence?

from what i'm seeing so far we've got the evidence of a geography teacher who marks for the examiner and another examiner

all you've got is "you"
Original post by Hurpydurpy
got any evidence?

from what i'm seeing so far we've got the evidence of a geography teacher who marks for the examiner and another examiner

all you've got is "you"

exactly
Reply 28
Original post by Hurpydurpy
got any evidence?

all you've got is "you"

In my honeset opinion they should fail. The exam clearly states that you do 3 questions. NOT ALL OF THEM
Original post by marldor
In my honeset opinion they should fail. The exam clearly states that you do 3 questions. NOT ALL OF THEM

the exam also states that you MUST have a ruler, rubber, pencil etc. but would you fail your exam if you didn't have them? ofc not because any half decent school with half decent equipment will lend you some equipment should you forget about anything.

also in certain "label THREE features" questions of the exam, the exam clearly asks you for THREE features, but would you get negative marking if you label MORE than THREE? no you don't and this once again is from the evidence of my geography teacher - all the correct ones are counted up so hence you're better off sometimes writing more than 3 down if you have the time

you either do 3 questions and do well in all of them or do all the questions and answer each and every one of which badly, so thus the examiner give you the chance to find out your "best of the worst"

in addition what you believe in is not what the exam board believes in. we're after facts here not "honest opinion"...don't make OP more stressed out than they are currently
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by charlotteryans
will i get any marks if I answered ALL questions on the AQA geography GCSE paper, Even the ones I havn't learn't?😩

My teacher's an AQA examiner (marking human paper this year for GCSE), and she said examiners will mark all the questions, then take the best 3 scores. She stresses that examiners aren't mean, they're there to give you the best mark your work allows. Don't worry.
I've been told they'd mark it all and choose the best three too :smile:
Well my teacher said something different. Remember there are section A and B and you are meant to do 3 questions in total and at least one in each section? My teacher said if you've done all the Qs the first 2 in section A will be marked and the first you've done in section B will be marked. So if you 3 qs in section A the last one won't be marked instead the first q in section B will. And our teacher specifically said don't even touch the topics that we haven't learn we'll get screwed over.
Reply 33
Officially what they do is mark all of it and the best marks will go forward
Original post by marldor

Ok perhaps I'm studying maths not geog, but this is certainly not the case at uni. They give you a selection of questions because they recognise that peoples minds go blank in the exams, people mess up questions and so on and that the exams are really trying to test ability; people that mess up a question or go blank aren't necessarily less able, so it would be unfair to penalise them for this, at least with extra questions you can move on and do another one. It would be pretty pointless to have this if they only marked exactly three, since by moving on to another question you would just lock in a rubbish answer.

Whilst it sounds like they've given you a choice because different schools teach different topics, I think that if you're clever/informed enough to do questions which you haven't been taught about at school (particularly if you've self taught this stuff), then you deserve to get all questions marked and have the highest x amount of questions marked. At uni it is clearly marked on the paper that this is the case, perhaps someone should get edexcel ect to clarify this on the front of the paper. (obviously I don't know whether they'll mark all the questions or not, but they should clarify this).

As far as actually doing this goes, it's a great idea if you find you have loads of time at the end, you've already checked through the paper, and you're as confident as you can be about your answers. You can't really do this in geog, but in maths if I have time I'd be tempted to do things in different ways/using different methods to check, but only if I had time. If you're aiming for really high marks, and you have loads of time at the end, it can give you a slight advantage, since if you mess up one question the chances are the extra one is ok/better, and I guess that also kind of applies if you're hating the exam too, but prioritise checking the paper over doing extra questions.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm near certain they'll mark the whole lot and give you the best three. They will not add all of them up or take averages etc. So, you doing the others was pointless. How you even did it... I don't know.
Reply 36
Original post by MeiMei15401
My teacher's an AQA examiner (marking human paper this year for GCSE), and she said examiners will mark all the questions, then take the best 3 scores. She stresses that examiners aren't mean, they're there to give you the best mark your work allows. Don't worry.

Why would they waste there time marking all of the questions, they will mark the first 3.
Original post by marldor
Why would they waste there time marking all of the questions, they will mark the first 3.

Because AQA don't have a policy of negative marking, and frankly it's the examiner's job to mark a candidate's work, regardless of how many questions they've answered. It would be incredibly unfair for them to pick just 3 questions, and not at all representative of a candidate's true ability.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by MeiMei15401
Because AQA don't have a policy of negative marking (at least for Geography GCSE), and frankly it's the examiner's job to mark a candidate's work, regardless of how many questions they've answered. It would be incredibly unfair for them to pick just 3 questions, and not at all representative of a candidate's true ability.

Its not about being fair, they need to mark every paper. They will only scan the first three sections. My teacher (Head of geography) marks for AQA, and he said they were told that if a candidate answered every question they will mark the first three.
How is this even possible?

To answer three questions properly takes up most of the exam time

OP must've written like a line per question if he answered all of the questions in that time frame

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending