Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Just done the Unit 1 exam. I thought it was pretty hard tbh What did everyone else think? Also what questions did you find hard/easy?

ReputationRep:
    was easy mostly, struggled on the hydro logical cycle q until last 1-2 mins of exam so probably missed marks there, but should be alright.

ReputationRep:
    Battle for the biosphere 6 marker was just absurd.

ReputationRep:
    Yes hydrological cycle question was hard - all I could think of was transpiration?? I can't even remember what the battle for the biosphere one was...whoops

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone write for the formation of bays question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowgiraffe28)
    Yes hydrological cycle question was hard - all I could think of was transpiration?? I can't even remember what the battle for the biosphere one was...whoops

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was the hydrological one...

ReputationRep:
    For the bays q I put the soft rock erodes faster than hard rock so it retreats further. The destructive waves break up rock by attrition and grind it down into sand, forming a beach with a soft, gently sloping cliff. Idk if its right though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helfus)
    It was the hydrological one...
    OK sorry I was getting confused with water world. What did everyone think of the first question on shield volcanoes?? I'm sure we don't learn about the formation as part of the syllabus?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OK sorry I was getting confused with water world. What did everyone think of the first question on shield volcanoes?? I'm sure we don't learn about the formation as part of the syllabus?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just said it lies on a contructive plate boundary, so they move away from each other.

Also the mantle melts and allows lava to erupt, but the lacva is runny not pyrclastic.

What 2 earthquakes did you compare?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought the same - completely stumped me... And a hard first 2 marker didn't bode well for the rest of the exam. I said something about a higher temperature, less silica as less rock obstacles as it is constructive and a lot of rubbish. I found that exam pretty hard not going to lie. And a very odd paper and different from past papers. Definitely not easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrydaveis14)
    I just said it lies on a contructive plate boundary, so they move away from each other.

Also the mantle melts and allows lava to erupt, but the lacva is runny not pyrclastic.

I compared Loma Prieta (san Francisco) and Kashmir.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I used Haiti 2010 ans San Francisco 1989.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by examswhizz)
    I thought the same - completely stumped me... And a hard first 2 marker didn't bode well for the rest of the exam. I said something about a higher temperature, less silica as less rock obstacles as it is constructive and a lot of rubbish. I found that exam pretty hard not going to lie. And a very odd paper and different from past papers. Definitely not easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes the first question completely ruined all confidence I had going into the exam...
    It almost felt like they were mixing the different topics together - hydrological cycle in battle for the biosphere?? I was really disappointed there were no questions on biome location or shield and composite volcanoes

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do the last question in oceans on the edge??

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do the last question in oceans on the edge??
    Yeah I tried it, but was bloody hard.

Has 5 minutes left to finish two 6 markers, I really underestimated the amount of time we got, so will 100% be faster on Unit 2.

I just said about the human threats and if they continue it will affect distrubtion as areas of coral reef will no longer exist. Really rushed it though, what about you?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I tried it, but was bloody hard.

Has 5 minutes left to finish two 6 markers, I really underestimated the amount of time we got, so will 100% be faster on Unit 2.

I just said about the human threats and if they continue it will affect distribution as areas of coral reef will no longer exist. Really rushed it though, what about you?
    I didn't have a clue tbh! I had enough time left but I didn't really know any human effects apart from trampling on the coral so I wrote about humans causing global warming and seal level and temp rise and how that affects coral. I didn't get what it meant by global distribution though.

Sorry to hear you struggled with timing - at least we have a couple of weeks to prepare for unit 2! I am really not feeling confident with unit 2 - I thought unit 1 was going to be easy to day but it wasn;t so I'm dreading unit 2! Hopefully unit 3 and my controlled assessment will bring up my grade though!

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was fine except the question on "how slopes and geology affect the valleys" or whatever it was - any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dodgewc25)
    I thought it was fine except the question on "how slopes and geology affect the valleys" or whatever it was - any ideas?
    I didn't do this one - was it in river processes??

ReputationRep:
    Yes wtf are slope processes??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dodgewc25)
    I did that one and I found it so difficult!!! I wrote about scree slopes and mass movements and interlocking spurs and stuff but i struggled so much trying to think about points!! also it asked to "examine" and i was like WWWHAAAAAT?! howwww??? (((( I found that whole paper REEEALLLY hard, hoping grade boudnaries will be low because I seriously messed that up and do not feel confident at all!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 5, 2015

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.