Is A2 a lot harder than AS Level? Watch

ej2205
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm currently studying 4 AS subjects, English Lit, Spanish, History and Biology (all with CCEA) an. I'm planning on dropping one and only doing three A2. I was just wondering if there is a big jump between AS and A2?
Cobalt_
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I actually found A2 to be easier for some subjects and for others like biology a massive jump. It depends on the subject but for biology A2 is a big jump from AS imo. Theres a lot more application and how science works.
fieldy_xo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For me, A2 seems easier than AS, but I don't do any of the subjects you're doing. I think that AS seems so difficult because it's a big jump from GCSE to A level, but once you've done your first year you're used to how you should answer questions and whats expected of you
2015ld
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The only difference with history is interpretation and historiography are required at A2, otherwise its not much harder. Although with three heavy learning subjects like that id be inclined to drop one, it could get messy when you go to revise next year
conallkeenan
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got 4 A's at AS (IN English Lit I got full marks) and A2 is probably the hardest thing I've ever done. At AS our school slowed us in with the transition from GCSE, so I didn't find that big of a jump, but at A2 we were expected to just continue on from AS, which is difficult after a summer of doing nothing, so I just started the year on the wrong footing. If I were you, I'd drop English, at A2 it is hell. Rather than one paper at the end of AS, A2 has two. You have poetry again, but this time you don't get the anthology in with you, and you're tested in all of the AOs. Likewise, you have another four novels that, like Gatsby (or whatever book you're doing this year) you don't get in, but this time rather than just AO3 and AO4 you also have AO2 being marked. You then have a pretty easy question on the last book, as it's an unseen extract and all you have to do is just analyse it.

I know I wen't on like a yap there, but honestly, drop it. I was considering dropping it until I seen my result last year but honestly, whether you're top of the class or bottom, everyone struggles immensely.

Good luck this year, though! How have you found the AS course?
Chillbro957
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you are comparing AS with A2 then comparatively A2 is MUCH MUCH tougher than AS. But if you look at A2 alone then it's hard but not extremely hard, if you start preparation early and do sufficient past papers(6 years atleast). If u do last 6 years past papers (all variants) then an A* is almost confirm , provided that you did the past papers with utmost concentration and understanding. Gudluk...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 20 May '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How has 2019 been so far?