The Student Room Group

AQA Physics A Unit 2 - 4th June 2015 (PM)

As the current thread is getting rather full with unit 1 discussion I've created this new thread solely for unit 2 discussion. Let's hope AQA are going to be nice to us in this one! :smile:

Previous grade boundaries:
A B C D E
Jun 2014 55 49 43 37 32
Jun 2013 51 45 39 34 29
Jan 2013 50 44 39 34 29
Jun 2012 50 45 40 35 31
Jan 2012 48 43 38 33 29
Jun 2011 49 44 39 34 29
Jan 2011 50 44 38 33 28
Jun 2010 45 39 34 29 24
Jan 2010 48 42 36 31 26
Jun 2009 56 49 42 35 29
Jan 2009 49 43 37 31 26

Hardest papers are: Jan 2010, Jun 2010, Jan 2012

Average papers are: Jan 2009, Jan 2011, Jun 2012, Jan 2013

Easy papers are: Jun 2009, Jun 2013, Jun 2014

Past papers, mark schemes and exam reports:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/as-and-a-level/physics-a-2450/past-papers-and-mark-schemes

or

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/physics-revision/aqa-unit-2/

Notes/revision:
Revision notes

Definitions

PhysicsNet

CyberPhysics
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For those who aim high, made a list of A mark and full UMS mark and the mean.
image.jpg
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
jesus 45 for an A and 57 for full UMS
Reply 3
Original post by Parallex
jesus 45 for an A and 57 for full UMS

Quickly flicking through the paper, you can probably see why. Looks fairly brutal.
Reply 4
Original post by scrlk
Quickly flicking through the paper, you can probably see why. Looks fairly brutal.

ooh I'll have a look after this D2 paper

:tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by scrlk

I actually did well in that, whereas the easiest paper...(no comment :tongue: )
Reply 6
What is the best way to revise for unit 2, how can I fully understand waves ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Well hopefully people have learned the lesson from the unit one.

Prediction will not work.

- They said oscilloscope will come up because there was none last year.
- They said six marker will be on photoelectric effect because it hasn't come up in a while.
- They said internal resistance won't come up because our ISA was on it.
- They said circuit calculations will be the main theme because there was none last year.
- They said the six marker won't be on particles because it has recently come up in June 2013
- They said they liked chips and crisps, but boy were they wrong, they'd have never imagined potatoes would ever hunt them down in their dreams.
Reply 8
Original post by C0balt
Well hopefully people have learned the lesson from the unit one.

Prediction will not work.

I'm going to predict there will be a mechanics question featuring a potato. :tongue:

Would be a great 'joke' from AQA.
Reply 9
Original post by scrlk
I'm going to predict there will be a mechanics question featuring a potato. :tongue:

Would be a great 'joke' from AQA.

- A potato was fired off AQA headquarters at an angle of 12 degrees at 300ms^-1. Calculate the time taken to hit a Year 12 student in the face.
- A potato was hang from a spring to give an extension of 2cm. Calculate the weight of the potato if the spring constant is 30kNm-1
- A potato was dropped into a cylinder full of year 12 blood. Draw a velocity time graph for the motion of the potato.
- A potato was fired at a diffraction grating. Describe and explain what happens.
Original post by C0balt
- A potato was fired off AQA headquarters at an angle of 12 degrees at 300ms^-1. Calculate the time taken to hit a Year 12 student in the face.
- A potato was hang from a spring to give an extension of 2cm. Calculate the weight of the potato if the spring constant is 30kNm-1
- A potato was dropped into a cylinder full of year 12 blood. Draw a velocity time graph for the motion of the potato.
- A potato was fired at a diffraction grating. Describe and explain what happens.

Legend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sn
Just quick. What are the average grade boundaries for unit 1 most likely to be this year. Would 50 cut it for an A
An all of u need to chillax we have a half term now and 2 weeks to revise for unit 2 it's pointless stressing now over i
Reply 14
Original post by john123412
Just quick. What are the average grade boundaries for unit 1 most likely to be this year. Would 50 cut it for an A

53 average but I'm pretty sure it will be lower.
Not a fan of the waves section for unit 2, mechanics is ok though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt

Personally, I am quite offended.
Reply 17
Can't believe a new account was made for that potato :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by potato cell
Personally, I am quite offended.

I'm sorry, I didn't specifically mean to offend you :frown:
I'm strongly against racism actually
If potatoes count as a race my apologies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys - I really need to do well on this exam! People who did reasonably okay on unit 1 - what did you do in the exam? Did you work quickly through the paper, or did you just practice some really brutal questions at home or...?

I think I got a high B in paper one, so i need a middle-high A to average out an A overall!!

Thanks everyone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending