The Student Room Group

AQA Physics A Unit 2 - 4th June 2015 (PM)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by jhjamie
does this help?

I'm still struggling to understand what you meant.

I can't help but see logic in the knot initially moving upwards to positive amplitude.
Original post by JM17
I'm still struggling to understand what you meant.

I can't help but see logic in the knot initially moving upwards to positive amplitude.

The wave is travelling to the right. The knot doesn't travel along with the wave, it stays at the same position on the x-axis. Since the knot stays at the same position on the x-axis and the wave travels through the knot, the trough passes through the knot first, hence it moves vertically downwards.
Original post by a.a.k
Yiu always use suvat
Its just the case if a=0 then 0.5at^2 bexomes zero so equarion s=ut+0.5at^2 becomes s=vt and so on.
Just right down list of
S
U
V
A
T

And then put the values you have git and find the missing

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://21ba06f4363c89790b62ca84c35719fd50682758.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYZllpVTRUcDhQUmM/From-AQA-Set-B/2.1.4%20Projectiles.pdf

what about page 5 the darts question on time, how would i use suvat?
Original post by JM17
Can you answer WMP/Jan12/PHY2 Question 7(b) then?

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA2-QP-JAN12.PDF

This is not a stationary wave.

The knot is moving in the opposite direction to the way in which the wave is travelling so going down and then up. x
Reply 584

This question concerns projectile motion. S=ut+1/2at^2 is used here for vertical and horizontal motion. In the vertical sense, the initial velocity, u, is zero and hence s=1/2at^2. In the horizontal sense there is no acceleration (there is no resistance to motion, hence this is why this can be deduced) So a=0 and thus S=ut.
Reply 588

They are rekeased at the same instant but horizontal accel of dart is zero.
The accel at the same rste 9.8 so the would take same time to hit the ground

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 589
Since a=0 use s=ut

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Protoxylic
This question concerns projectile motion. S=ut+1/2at^2 is used here for vertical and horizontal motion. In the vertical sense, the initial velocity, u, is zero and hence s=1/2at^2. In the horizontal sense there is no acceleration (there is no resistance to motion, hence this is why this can be deduced) So a=0 and thus S=ut.

Ah great thanks
Reply 591
Original post by theoriginalrpr

It's a transverse wave, therefore the vibrations travel perpendicular to the direction of travel of the wave. That's why it moves UP/DOWN only. However, in this case, the reason it moved DOWNWARDS is because the wave was travelling to the right and the trough passes through it first.

Original post by theoriginalrpr

The knot itself is actually stationary. As the wave is moving --> in that direction by default the not will have appeared to have moved whereas it is just the wave moving

Click. Got it.

Many thanks/
Original post by a.a.k
Since a=0 use s=ut

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you know its a = 0?
Original post by JM17
Click. Got it.

Many thanks/

Anytime
Reply 594
Original post by liverpool2044

For horizontal motion there is no force to resist ( assuming air resistance is neglible) and there is no force pushing it in horizontal component so 0 resultant force horizintally

Posted from TSR Mobile

split up into horizontal and vertical components...
For PART 4BI) Horizontal use S=D/T
For PART 4BII) vertical use S=UT+0.5GT SQUARED (Solve for u)

For projectiles always split components into horizontal and vertical.
Horizontal is always speed=distance over time
Vertical - use one of the suvat equations but always use g instead of a
Original post by a.a.k
For horizontal motion there is no force to resist ( assuming air resistance is neglible) and there is no force pushing it in horizontal component so 0 resultant force horizintally

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you so force is needed for acceleration in horizontal
Reply 597
thank you so force is needed for acceleration in horizontal

F=ma
You always need force to accelerate
For any direction
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 598
Can someone help me with question 3(e) I don't know what the sketch is supposed to look like and I cant find anything in the textbook

QP: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA2-W-QP-JAN11.PDF
MS: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA2-W-MS-JAN11.PDF
Original post by RemainSilent
Can someone tell me why (cant remeber the exact ques) why if the wavelength is higher they intensity patterns spread out? and what does it mean they spread out (away from maxima, markscheme answers)

Diffraction definition(spreading out of waves when the pass through an obstacle or aperture right? This is dependent upon size of aperture relative to the wavelength. So if the wavelength is larger, it approaches size of slit it passes through hence greater diffraction. This then means that the maxima are seen over a more spread out space(distances between fringes increases). Hope that helps!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending