Eyjafjallajokull - composite or shield volcano? (Q1 cross section - Higher) 2015 AQA

Watch this thread
threviseguy
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am very confused as to the cross section question on the geography paper (higher). Is the Eyjafjallajokull volcano a shield or composite volcano?
Vahalu
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Composite
threviseguy
Rep:
(Original post by Vahalu)
Composite
But on the photograph in the exam it's like not pointy at all (flat sides)+ iceland tends to have shield volcanoes as they have constructive plate boundaries (if I remember correctly).
Charlotte10449
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Composite, just checked on wikipedia.
threviseguy
Rep:
(Original post by Charlotte10449)
Composite, just checked on wikipedia.
If that is true then that was a bad question by AQA. Most people will say its shield because Iceland tends to have constructive plate boundaries, and in the photograph it looked very flat sided and most people (like me) didn't study Eyjafjallajokull
MysteryHorse
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Its an outrage!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mjrd
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
It is a composite volcano, its a stratovolcano type.
GeographyGuru
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
It's 1,666 metres high but its just under an ice cap. It erupted very very violently in the past (I studied it)
Fractite
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
It is composite, yeah.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (10)
31.25%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (11)
34.38%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
6.25%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (1)
3.13%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (2)
6.25%
I’m starting to consider my university options (5)
15.63%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
3.13%

Watched Threads