Report Thread starter 5 years ago
show that it cannot have integer coefficients
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Proof by contradiction.

Suppose that there does exist a polynomial \displaystyle P(x) with integer coefficients that satisfies the property that \displaystyle P(a) = b, P(b)=c, P(c)=a.

Then \displaystyle a is a root of \displaystyle P(x)-b and using the factor theorem yields \displaystyle P(x)-b = (x-a)Q(x) where \displaystyle Q(x) is a polynomial with integer coefficients.

Specifically, we have that, \displaystyle \frac{c-b}{b-a} = \frac{P(b) -b}{b-a}=Q(b), must be an integer.

Similarly, we can see that both numbers \displaystyle \frac{a-c}{c-b} and \displaystyle \frac{b-a}{a-c} must also be an integer. It is obvious then, that:

\displaystyle \frac{c-b}{b-a} \cdot \frac{a-c}{c-b} \cdot \frac{b-a}{a-c} = 1

This is only possible if \displaystyle |c-b| = |a-b| = |a-c|, which is clearly impossible if \displaystyle a,b \mathrm{and} c are distinct integers. Contradiction.

So there cannot exist a polynomial that cyclically permute \displaystyle a,b \mathrm{and} c.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
17.67%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (83)
27.67%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (115)
38.33%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (39)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise