Msc Business Analytics at Leeds or Msc Data Science at Sheffiled

Watch
ketaki.patil
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I have offers from both these universities and Im a little confused which one to choose. I would greatly appreciate if you had any advise on the job prospects of each uni/course.
Msc Business Analytics at Leeds or Msc Data Science at Sheffiled
Justin_case
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey Ketaki
First thing I would look it is there positioning on the university league tables. Leeds is 23rd on the Guardian university league table, and 17th on the Sunday times list. It has a "career after 6 months" of 74.9% on Guardian and 74.8% "graduate prospect" on Sunday times, these two are just two different names for the same thing. Sheffield on the other hand is further down on the list with 42th on Guardian and 21st on Sunday times, with "career after 6 months" and "graduate prospect" of 77.1% and 76.9% respectively. Well, that didn't help much. Leeds is higher on the ranking, but slighly worse for graduate prospect according to the numbers. Then I went on to look at the actual courses, and which one of them seemed better, because these data science/ business analytics courses vary a lot. What I did find particularly interesting is that the course in Sheffield has this as their entry requirements:
"You are normally expected to have a minimum 2:1 undergraduate honours degree, or its equivalent, in any subject discipline.Work experience is not essential and you do not need prior knowledge of statistics or data analysis."
I do assume that this means that the level of technical stuff that you learn here is a bit limited as anyone without any prior knowledge to statistics or data analysis can join the course.
While in Leeds they require: "A good quality Bachelors degree (2:1 or above) or equivalent in a relevant subject. Strong grounding in quantitative subjects, such as statistics, management science or mathematics"
I am guessing this will give you some more "hardcore" technical skills in the one in Leeds.
Asking a guy that works at Boston Consulting Group (2nd biggest consulting company in the world), and he said that he would rather appreciate the knowledge of the technical ability to use business analytics than just knowing the overall concepts. Furthermore, I talked to the a guy who is the CEO of a mobile app company, which has got 10M in funding and he said he really appreciates when people can do business analytics, which means both coming up with the questions and finding the answers for them.
So judging from this limited information that I found I would chose Leeds. Btw, I am going to apply for Business Analytics as well really soon, you mind helping me with the personal statement? If you could send it to me, then it would be greatly appreciated.
Hope it was help.
Justin
ketaki.patil
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi Justin,

Thanks a lot for your answer. actually the league tables confused me a bit... about the rankings. Manchester is way below than what I would expect and Loughborough is ranked 13. I'm not so sure about the Loughborough's ranking. I didnt see this university coming up anywhere in the global tables.
So I referred to the global tables from QS and Times, and both have ranked Sheffield higher than Leeds. From the leagues tables I see that Sheffield has a slightly better research quality score, this is of relevance to me as I might think of doing a PhD later on...
I ultimately chose Sheffield as the course from Leeds seemed to me, as leaning towards analyzing internal company data to solve internal issues. I wanted to study a more holistic and a broader view, which I could later on use for research on industry data for consumer trends or such.
All the best to you.

Ketaki
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (86)
26.22%
England (110)
33.54%
Belgium (27)
8.23%
Germany (39)
11.89%
Spain (6)
1.83%