Integral of a function and its inverse - Real analysis

Watch
alexmufc1995
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
The following questing concerns a strictly increasing function f on [0,a] st f(0)=0

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 18.39.57.png
Views: 179
Size:  45.9 KB

I think I've done the first part, the second I could do with some help please. I'm pretty sure there's a typo in the hint (first inequality on the final line).Thanks
0x2a
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yea, pretty sure it's a typo as well. If it isn't the typo then the last inequality should be \displaystyle \int^{\alpha}_{f^{-1}(\beta)} f(x) dx \geq \beta(\alpha - f^{-1}(\beta)) I believe.
atsruser
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by alexmufc1995)
The following questing concerns a strictly increasing function f on [0,a] st f(0)=0

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 18.39.57.png
Views: 179
Size:  45.9 KB

I think I've done the first part, the second I could do with some help please. I'm pretty sure there's a typo in the hint (first inequality on the final line).Thanks
I guess they're inviting you to consider the integrals \int_0^\alpha + \int_0^{f(\alpha)} + \int_{f(\alpha)}^\beta if I've read the inequalities properly.
alexmufc1995
Rep:
?
(Original post by atsruser)
I guess they're inviting you to consider the integrals \int_0^\alpha + \int_0^{f(\alpha)} + \int_{f(\alpha)}^\beta if I've read the inequalities properly.
I agree, but I still can't work out how to use the hint to get the required inequality
atsruser
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I agree, but I still can't work out how to use the hint to get the required inequality
Doesn't it follow trivially from part (a) + the inequality that they suggest?
alexmufc1995
Rep:
?
(Original post by atsruser)
Doesn't it follow trivially from part (a) + the inequality that they suggest?
But I need to show the inequality they suggest? That's really what I don't understand how to do.

That is, I know how to complete the question once I've established the hint inequality holds.
atsruser
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
But I need to show the inequality they suggest? That's really what I don't understand how to do.

That is, I know how to complete the question once I've established the hint inequality holds.
It's a bit late for this kind of stuff, but I think:

1. Show that \int_0^{f(a)} f^{-1}(x) dx \le af(a)
2. \int_{f(\alpha)}^\beta = \int_{f(\alpha)}^0 + \int_0^\beta = \int_0^\beta - \int_0^{f(\alpha)}

or something along those lines.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (26)
27.96%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (9)
9.68%
No I am happy with my choice (52)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
6.45%

Watched Threads