The Student Room Group

Academic Foundation Programme Query

I don't know if this has already been asked or if there's a huge thread about this that I've missed but I just had a question.

Essentially, I want to apply for an AFP (starting in 2016) but I don't want to take 4 months out of my clinical training to just focus on the research.

I know there are certain places that don't give you a dedicated 4 month block of research but instead integrate it throughout the 2 years.

Does anybody have any idea which foundation schools offer a programme like this as opposed to the traditional one? I've started trawling through all the websites but thought I'd see if someone has done this before me.

Cheers for your help guys
Reply 1
Original post by Keepa
I don't know if this has already been asked or if there's a huge thread about this that I've missed but I just had a question.

Essentially, I want to apply for an AFP (starting in 2016) but I don't want to take 4 months out of my clinical training to just focus on the research.

I know there are certain places that don't give you a dedicated 4 month block of research but instead integrate it throughout the 2 years.

Does anybody have any idea which foundation schools offer a programme like this as opposed to the traditional one? I've started trawling through all the websites but thought I'd see if someone has done this before me.

Go to Glasgow, their AFP is exactly, exactly the same as the normal FP except you're called an 'AFP'. No protected time at all.....

(I don't think there's a central place for this information - we should probably start a wiki - instead you just need to look at each website separately I think!)

e: Not sure why I said Glasgow specifically... I meant Scotland!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Beska
Go to Glasgow, their AFP is exactly, exactly the same as the normal FP except you're called an 'AFP'. No protected time at all.....

(I don't think there's a central place for this information - we should probably start a wiki - instead you just need to look at each website separately I think!)

e: Not sure why I said Glasgow specifically... I meant Scotland!

Not quite true - Dundee do give protected time. Although if you don't want protected time, why would you want to do AFP? The taught elements seem like a giant waste of time.
Reply 3
Original post by Sambo2
Not quite true - Dundee do give protected time. Although if you don't want protected time, why would you want to do AFP? The taught elements seem like a giant waste of time.

Oh sorry! We were told about Scotland at a talk yesterday and it really surprised me - I had a quick look on the Scotland AFP website and cycled through East, west, etc and must have missed Dundee. But yes exactly - I find it a very strange format for an AFP.
Reply 4
Original post by Sambo2

Original post by Beska
Oh sorry! We were told about Scotland at a talk yesterday and it really surprised me - I had a quick look on the Scotland AFP website and cycled through East, west, etc and must have missed Dundee. But yes exactly - I find it a very strange format for an AFP.

But are there no AFP programmes that give you protected research days throughout the two years (e.g. 2 days every two weeks etc) as opposed to just a 4 month block for research. I only ask because somebody mentioned it to me but so far I've not had much luck hunting through the various websites.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Keepa
But are there no AFP programmes that give you protected research days throughout the two years (e.g. 2 days every two weeks etc) as opposed to just a 4 month block for research. I only ask because somebody mentioned it to me but so far I've not had much luck hunting through the various websites.

There almost definitely is (but it's more likely to be 1 day a week) because people have spoken about them before and I have read about them. I can't remember where though, sorry!
Wales, give you up to 2 days per week for academic over the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Beska
There almost definitely is (but it's more likely to be 1 day a week) because people have spoken about them before and I have read about them. I can't remember where though, sorry!

Well if you get a flash of inspiration, do let me know. I'll continue trawling through the websites and if I find anything, I'll put it on here
Original post by Keepa

Leicester does! I know because I am on the programme but only throughout the F2 year - F1 is normal with no protected time

Quick Reply

Latest