The Student Room Group

AQA Government and Politics, Unit 01 - People, Politics and Participation - June 1st

Who's sitting this one? Haven't seen a thread yet!
I'm really anxious to do well because this will probably be my most important exam!

Scroll to see replies

I'm sitting this one too! My teacher always says everyone does worse in this paper compared to unit 2 even though apparently it's supposed to be easier :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Original post by gelato72
I'm sitting this one too! My teacher always says everyone does worse in this paper compared to unit 2 even though apparently it's supposed to be easier :s-smilie:

I prefer unit 1, because It's more my area of interest (Parties/workings of parties) and the electoral systems questions are often similar/easy to predict. Unit 2 needs a lot more actual knowledge I think? I struggle with the judiciary part of the constitution

I absolutely adore most of unit one, but only 1 topic on the second unit :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by _moriartea
I prefer unit 1, because It's more my area of interest (Parties/workings of parties) and the electoral systems questions are often similar/easy to predict. Unit 2 needs a lot more actual knowledge I think? I struggle with the judiciary part of the constitution

I absolutely adore most of unit one, but only 1 topic on the second unit :biggrin:

yeah i agree unit 2 is very hard .. i dont even understand the constitution and the judiciary but in order to get a good grade you need to know atleast 3 topics well
Yeah I agree! There's a lot more learning to do in unit 2 compared to unit 1. Also how are you revising for politics? As in what techniques do you use?
Reply 5
I'm revising for this exam right now! Really worried about timings, no idea how I'll manage to plan 2 good essays then write them out properly as well as all the other questions...
Reply 6
I've re-written my notes, and then I'm making flashcards and A3 mind maps! Does watching BBC parliament count?? :biggrin:
Reply 7
Stressed for this one because i've always found unit 2 easier... what questions do you think you'll pick??
Reply 8
Original post by anise_mc
Stressed for this one because i've always found unit 2 easier... what questions do you think you'll pick??

For unit 1 I find electoral systems easiest (and this election has provided a lot of good material), then probably political parties (especially if the focus is around internal Labour party workngs because i know an awful lot more about it!) - but i love voting behaviour too, so it will depend on the questions!
For unit 2 Parliament is my favourite by a long way(I would kill for a question on representation of social groups within the chamber!), and then I'll probably do Core exec :flower2:
Reply 9
Original post by _moriartea
For unit 1 I find electoral systems easiest (and this election has provided a lot of good material), then probably political parties (especially if the focus is around internal Labour party workngs because i know an awful lot more about it!) - but i love voting behaviour too, so it will depend on the questions!
For unit 2 Parliament is my favourite by a long way(I would kill for a question on representation of social groups within the chamber!), and then I'll probably do Core exec :flower2:

Ahhh I love electoral systems too, definitely doing that and possibly either pressure groups or political parties, and for unit 2 I'll do Parliament and core executive i think :smile:
Original post by anise_mc
Ahhh I love electoral systems too, definitely doing that and possibly either pressure groups or political parties, and for unit 2 I'll do Parliament and core executive i think :smile:

is the core executive also known as the prime minister in cabinet?
Original post by emilyroebuck
is the core executive also known as the prime minister in cabinet?

yes I think so
Original post by gelato72
Yeah I agree! There's a lot more learning to do in unit 2 compared to unit 1. Also how are you revising for politics? As in what techniques do you use?

It depends on what exam board your sitting .. if its Edexcel key definitions is something you need to learn and my teacher told me to plan essays and go over them... And the importantant ne s to make sure your up to date with current policies, this will score you good marks i your essays.
Does anyone know how to set out a 25 mark and a 40 mark essay?
Reply 14
I really don't know what topics to do for Unit 2, I don't really know what any of them are about. Can anyone help me with which ones are the easiest?
Reply 15
Predictions ??
It's all really down to personal opinion, I find parliament and core executive the easiest, others seem to agree on this thread so maybe that's the way to go. Look into the British constitution topic as well, if there's an easy question on that then I might opt for that.
Reply 17
Anyone got any ideas from their teachers/ past paper trends (if any) on what's going to be on the Unit 1 paper?
Original post by Cgrud
Anyone got any ideas from their teachers/ past paper trends (if any) on what's going to be on the Unit 1 paper?

apparently electoral systems 25 mark questions are normally about FPTP/PR or referendums and for pressure groups often success/failure of pressure groups or how pressure groups help/threat democracy are common

this is from my teacher and i don't know how accurate this is
Original post by Cgrud

Think there will be a question on the usefulness of FPTP, which would be great with all the hype around PR given the election. UKIP getting just under 4 million votes per MP and the Tories getting under 40,000 per MP would be a good example of some data to use

Quick Reply

Latest