North West
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I wanted to become a psychotherapist and I was wondering what do I need to do in order to become one?

I know I have to do a degree in psychology but I wanted to know if I should do a levels or a btec in health and social care?

I also wanted to know what would I have to do after uni? Do I get experience or go straight into working?
Any help would be great, I've tried researching it and it hasn't really helped .
Sinatrafan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Psychotherapy is a very non-specific term and may refer to things such as;

- Cognitive behavioural therapy
- Psychoanalysis/psychodynamic therapy
- Family therapy
- Cognitive analytical therapy

The main people who undertake these therapies are;

- Clinical psychologists
- Forensic psychologists
- Psychiatrists (psychotherapy is a sub-speciality within psychiatry and all psychiatry trainees will train in psychotherapies during their training)

Clinical and forensic psychology require a psychology BSc (3 years) and a doctorate in one of those fields (3-4 years). They are fiercely competitive however and many people have to spend years as a psychology assistant, doing a masters degree and/or getting research experience before they will be accepted onto a training doctorate. Many people will never get accepted, but if you do it will realistically take at least 10 years before you are fully qualified.

Psychiatry is a medical speciality so requires 5 years as medical school, 2 years as a junior doctor and then 6 years postgraduate training in psychiatry.

I'm sure you can get on to a BPS accredited psychology BSc with a btec qualification, but A levels are more universally recognised and are the more straightforward route to be assured entry.
North West
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Sinatrafan)
Psychotherapy is a very non-specific term and may refer to things such as;

- Cognitive behavioural therapy
- Psychoanalysis/psychodynamic therapy
- Family therapy
- Cognitive analytical therapy

The main people who undertake these therapies are;

- Clinical psychologists
- Forensic psychologists
- Psychiatrists (psychotherapy is a sub-speciality within psychiatry and all psychiatry trainees will train in psychotherapies during their training)

Clinical and forensic psychology require a psychology BSc (3 years) and a doctorate in one of those fields (3-4 years). They are fiercely competitive however and many people have to spend years as a psychology assistant, doing a masters degree and/or getting research experience before they will be accepted onto a training doctorate. Many people will never get accepted, but if you do it will realistically take at least 10 years before you are fully qualified.

Psychiatry is a medical speciality so requires 5 years as medical school, 2 years as a junior doctor and then 6 years postgraduate training in psychiatry.

I'm sure you can get on to a BPS accredited psychology BSc with a btec qualification, but A levels are more universally recognised and are the more straightforward route to be assured entry.
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.71%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.88%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.15%
I need help with my personal statement (53)
38.97%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (35)
25.74%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.21%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.35%

Watched Threads